JimJones 09-Jan-19
leo17 09-Jan-19
gunmaster 09-Jan-19
BC173 09-Jan-19
dirtclod Az. 09-Jan-19
Mnhunter1980 09-Jan-19
08-Jan-19

08-Jan-19
.............with hopes of shooting a 170"+ buck, gun or bow, with any outfitter, where would you go? Saskatchewan? Kansas? Ohio? Etc etc etc.

08-Jan-19
First Choice- The strip hunt Kaibab, AZ

Canada has a lot of great outfitters, so probably somewhere up there. Mike's perhaps?

08-Jan-19
Mule deer or whitetail? Whitetail- Iowa or Alberta with the right person on unpressured land. Mule Deer- Areas of Arizona, Utah or Colorado.

08-Jan-19
Yeah, come to Ohio, hunting pressure is low and we have Booners hiding behind every tree...8^)))

08-Jan-19
I’d look for an archery only place.

08-Jan-19
I would ask Keith Warren where to go:^(

08-Jan-19
First criteria would be properties where you can hunt yearly, so that over the course of the rest of your life, hunting good country every year, you will have at least a small chance of someday arrowing a net 170 typical. Meaning it probably won't be Iowa, unless you live there, since NR can only bow-hunt the southern zones every 5-6 years now. But Iowa should be in your lifelong rotation. I'd say the choice of state or province is not as important as the particular property and how it is pressured/managed.

08-Jan-19
That's a pretty tall order regardless of the state or province. As other have alluded to, it would be better odds if you were familiar with the particular area or had special access to managed land........If you have neither, then in the long run it would probably be cheaper to just shoot one on a large game farm the first hunt:)

08-Jan-19
Alberta or Sask

08-Jan-19
OP posted in the whitetail forum, so I assume he means whitetail.

08-Jan-19

ahunter76's embedded Photo
ahunter76's embedded Photo
Born & raised in Illinois, 20 years now in Iowa. Bowhunted 15 States. 62 years bowhunting now (I started in 1956). I have taken a wide variety of Bucks & as stated, lived in big buck country all my life. I became selective on Bucks about 20 years ago & then about ten, set a personal goal of a 170 net Buck. I have drawn my bow 3 times in that 10 years but never sealed the deal. This year I saw nothing over a 110. I have been privy to some pretty decent private but "never managed" & some great public too. I do feel the possibility is great today due to number of Deer, distribution of our herds in any given state & more people "trying" to manage for bigger racked bucks. Good luck.

08-Jan-19
Alberta or Saskatchewan. Alberta if you want non-baited.

On a per hunter capita basis I can’t imagine more booners coming from anywhere else

08-Jan-19
Yes, for whitetail. I have good whitetail hunting now...........but the chances of anything over 150-160" are very slim due to the small acreage I can hunt. Got to thinking if I could go on a "once in a lifetime" whitetail hunt, where would I go and would going with a gun increase my chances?

08-Jan-19
Does it have to be with an 'Outfitter' ??

08-Jan-19
cnelk - No, it does not need to be with an outfitter. I usually prefer not, unless it ups my odds dramatically.

08-Jan-19
Once you have it narrowed down to where you are going... Be it Kansas, Iowa, Saskatchewan, Alberta, etc, the factor that will play in the most is luck. Pick a property in any of those places, well managed, low pressure, outfitters who knows his area, trail cams of B&C class bucks....what it will come down to is luck, for the most part. Will you be in the right stand at the right moment, or will it be another guy in camp with you? To me, all one can do is do their diligence as far as research, lay out to the outfitter your expectations, prepare yourself and equipment as best you can, and go for it. One will still have to be pretty lucky to even lay eyes on a B&C type buck while in the stand, let alone kill him.

For what it's worth, I'm currently working on a short list of southern Iowa outfitters....probably at least 2 years away, because a lot of these guys are booked that far out. (I have 4 points, and will buy another this spring)

08-Jan-19
Man , a gun makes the odds a lot better. I was thinking you were asking for a pretty tall order....... But , If you’re talking gun I think it could be done during a rut hunt with the right location.

08-Jan-19
Would love to hunt Saskatchewan once for one of those “Bush Bucks”.

08-Jan-19
Kansas where I lease my property. 165 but still not a 170+ not yet

08-Jan-19
Henry’s mountains in UT, but would be looking for 200”+ buck from there. And a different species.

Already got a 174” whitetail from KS...

If I just had to have another 170+ whitetail, and had the money and time, November would find me in Alberta, Saskatchewan or southern BC.

Otherwise, if I just wanted to hunt good whitetails, I would go hunt with buddies in Kansas and still have a chance on one in that class for free.

08-Jan-19
Sorry, I was thinking mule deer. For white tail, I would do Canada! probably the best opportunity.. Same with Moose and Bear. not sure about elk, maybe the San Carlos Rez if I had 50K to drop on an elk hunt:/

08-Jan-19
Canada without a doubt.

08-Jan-19
Hash Knife in Kansas

09-Jan-19
Such a great question. In fact, I probably can do just that (up to a price) and I have no idea where to go...because big whitetails are just so flipping hard! I've got 6-7 points in Iowa. I've got good connections all over the Midwest and western Canada. But guess what? I still have no idea where I'm going to be next fall! So, I'll be following this thread closely and maybe I'll get a good tip? (No, I can't afford a $10K plus Hashknife hunt!)

09-Jan-19

09-Jan-19
Better question. Who the hell buys 7 pts for Iowa’s? Try and sell some on EBay?

09-Jan-19
Straight Arrow Outfitters Iowa Steve Hanson. If you put your time in and have a flexible schedule to hunt multiple times when you finally draw that tag then you will have an opportunity. Remember an opportunity is only one part of it. You need to be ready to execute the plan when presented with your chance.

09-Jan-19
Just saying, I live in Ohio and in the last 4 years of hunting have seen only 3 deer. All of them in different places and all of them under 6 points.

09-Jan-19
After deciding where and how much you want to afford, the MOST important thing you will need is TIME!!!

09-Jan-19
Kiabab Az.

09-Jan-19
Alberta

• Sitka Gear