PA-R 09-Jan-19
MarkU 09-Jan-19
APauls 09-Jan-19
BigOk 09-Jan-19
ELKMAN 10-Jan-19
Z Barebow 10-Jan-19
08-Jan-19

garrett.titus's Link
I wish I'd never left. I wish I was safe in Lawson, Missouri. I wish I fit in. I wish I could watch high school football with my childhood friends and never want more. I wish I married the girl I loved in high school. I wish I worked a job that provided stability in my life. I wish I could go down to the Tav’ and complain about my “ole woman” and the work I hate doing for somebody I don’t like. Most of all, I wish that made me happy. I wish I was satisfied. I wish I was that simple and I’ll never be able to tell you why I couldn’t be molded. I just can’t live that way. When I think about that lifestyle, the walls start to close in and I can’t breathe. My life is fluid. Everything I own can be neatly stuffed into my 1992 pickup, and I’m not stuck or chained to staying anywhere or doing anything I don’t choose to. I don’t have the money to truly vanish, but that makes my days exhilarating, yet filled with guilt. I left a wake of tears and sorrow in my rear-view mirror to be selfish in my free spirit. The thoughts slosh from one side of my brain to the other as my backpack of self-expectation outweighs the bull elk.

I still can’t decide if Chase Boggs is an idiot or a hero. He wears blue jeans, a flannel t-shirt, cowboy boots and a ball cap 365 days a year. His voice reminds me of a deer stand along a cornfield, and he looks like a Levi-jeans commercial. He and Brett Farve share a similar southern charisma to their stride. Chase is a southern Missouri man that I met in my final semester at Missouri State University. He’s one of those people you meet in your life, and instantly it’s like you’ve known the kid since birth. We’re the definition of fast friends. We needed only about 23 seconds of conversation one Tuesday night in Springfield, before I knew I wanted him in my life. So, when he called me at 2:30 AM on a September morning to help him pack out an elk in southern Montana, I answered the bell. Two days prior, we had discussed a trailhead and a spot where he should go look for elk by himself. If I’m being honest, I thought I had a better chance scoring a date with Wonder Woman; than him shooting a bull elk with his bow solo, in a place he’d never been before. For the first time in my life, I was wrong. I’m the only person, ever, that is thankful for the rumble strips are on the centerline of highways. When I am behind the wheel, I tend to fixate on the furthest hill, along some grove of trees, miles away scanning for wildlife. After a grueling few hours, I park alongside another Missouri license plate. His grin has a dash of disbelief, but it’s a mostly relieved smirk for having help.

The hike doesn’t take long, and the first four miles barely brought a sweat to my forehead. Chase’s continued warnings of how difficult life was about to become failed to hit home. I “knew better” as we raced up the mountain toward the carcass. At the top of the mountain I sort of glance around and say something to the effect, “where is this thing?” Chase didn’t say much, instead he kind of pointed. I shit you not, he pointed down, off the edge of something I would not dare going over on my own. We descended 1,000 feet in 20 minutes to the very bottom of the drainage, to find the young bull pinned between two lodgepole pines. Once again, I took the lead. I said, “well I’ll just swing him down through the tree’s, so we can actually get to his body.” Chase once again kind of nodded at me, as if to say, “dude I’d like to see that.” I’d love to brag and say I picked up his front half to drag him the few yards necessary to break free of the tree’s, but that wouldn’t be how it happened. I guess you truly can’t understand how gigantic a full-grown bull elk is until you stand over one. A seven-hundred-pound animal sounds like a tremendous amount, but until it lays at your feet you truly have no reference point. After another few hours of skinning, deboning and loading the animal, we start the climb to the top. Every step is pure agony. To carry over 100 pounds five miles is a feat on its own, but to do it after hiking five miles and butchering an animal all afternoon is another chore. In that state, your mind must force each leg to move, just to continue gaining inches toward the truck. My parents used to say, “you can make anything fun if you want to.” Maybe that’s what kept the jokes pouring out and allowed the exhausted laughter to roar across the mountainside. We reached the top of the mountain just as the sun sank behind the furthest peak. The orange glow faded slowly into a melancholy purple, only to be illuminated by two lone headlamps. The temperature began to plummet, but that didn’t slow the sweat from gliding down my nose. We stopped for breaks often, trying to regain a little energy and munching Cliff bars whenever possible, but when we stopped my legs shook with exhaustion. As we inched closer to the truck, I refused to let Chase beat me there. In fact, to prove a point, I jogged the final 100 yards to the truck sarcastically gloating how I could have carried more.

Two hours later, it’s midnight, we’re horizontal in a hotel room scarfing down Domino’s pizza. Daniel Tosh is on Comedy Central telling jokes about how destitute this country’s future is. Maybe I am a hopeless romantic, but I’d like to think Daniel Tosh doesn’t have friends like Chase Boggs. The kid is fearless, strong, independent and loyal. He had been hunting his butt off for five days with a partner but chose to continue his quest alone when his buddy could no longer hunt with him. That is determination at its core, and it is passion for accomplishing something important to him. My mind sometimes wanders and carries my thoughts to a dark place of anxiety about my inability to fit into the lock step of what society expects from me. People like Chase, with real passion, illustrate how the unknown should never be feared. Instead, sprint into the fire with a chip on your shoulder and grit your teeth to prove a point.

08-Jan-19
Awesome read, and memories that will last forever for the both of us. Maybe next time we will be smart enough to take 2 small loads instead of nutting up for one haul of a lifetime? Haha, welcome to bowsite, buddy!

08-Jan-19
I remember the thread. Good stuff and God Bless

08-Jan-19
Very good read! You have a way with words, thought I was reading the start of a great book...

08-Jan-19
Love the thread title. I have a couple friends like that, to share the misery with when an animal is down in a nasty spot.

08-Jan-19
Wow...... Extremely well written. And that's an understatement. I hope you write more.

08-Jan-19
Deerslayer, I believe that link he posted will take ya to his “blog”, he has 6 or 7 different writings posted there I believe. I agree, the guy can write!

08-Jan-19
Thank you guys for the kind words! The link does go to a blog I put up every so often, I will definitely try to write some more!

08-Jan-19
I'm talking paid writing. It may fit your lifestyle of not wanting to be pigeon holed. Pretty sure with your style you could easily get some articles going or a book. I'd read them.

Sometimes a guy has to recognize his gift. Writing is yours.

And Chase, congrats again on your elk. That was an awesome accomplishment.

08-Jan-19
Thank you again sir. I would love to get into writing as a profession, that is the goal. Just have to get lucky and have somebody that's important read some of my stuff someday and enjoy it!

08-Jan-19
^^^what Deerslayer said^^^

08-Jan-19
^^^what Deerslayer said^^^

08-Jan-19
Thank you BC173 I appreciate it more than you know.

08-Jan-19
Thank you BC173 I appreciate it more than you know.

08-Jan-19
Thank you to Marty, Jeff and WV Mountaineer as well!

These kinds of situations are what friends are for!

08-Jan-19
Fun read!!

08-Jan-19
Really cool story, great writing style.

08-Jan-19
Yeah you need to make that happen. To much talent to not pursue it

08-Jan-19
Had me hooked! Enjoyed the read. Lucky to have a friend like that. Hard to find. I hope he bought the pizza!

08-Jan-19
Thank you GregE!

08-Jan-19
Wow, good stuff on your blog. You definitely can do this.

08-Jan-19
Thank you so much JRABQ. I'm glad you guys dig it!

08-Jan-19
CSAL I most definitely will continue to pursue writing, but seriously thank you guys so much. I appreciate all the feedback!

08-Jan-19
Grunter, Chase most definitely was responsible for the pizza! As well as breakfast the next day!

08-Jan-19
Stick n string, I appreciate the kind words. I will most definitely be putting some more stories on here! I'm just glad to have some people interested in some of things I have to say. It really was an incredible experience to say the least.

08-Jan-19
Very impressive...that was certainly enjoyable to read. Great writing.

08-Jan-19
Good stuff. Thanks for sharing. Share more when you have time.

Tom

08-Jan-19
Fastflight, I appreciate it! Although I definitely need some duck hunting help ha!

08-Jan-19
Tom, thank you for the encouragement sir! I will be putting more on here soon!

08-Jan-19
Garrett,

Thank you. As has been posted above, you truly have been blessed with a gift! I hope that you continue pursue it with the passion that you displayed in that story above and that it brings you happiness and success!

Hopefully Chase shared a good portion of that elk meat as well!

I remember Chase’s story. Congratulations again on a fantastic bowhunt! You have the drive and determination to get it done and I look forward to many great hunting stories to come!

Good luck boys!

08-Jan-19
Yep, pizza and hotel were on me for sure, and gladly so! Even parted with a good chunk of elk meat, haha. Had to send him with atleast some protein to recover after that brutal pack out. I have a feeling this won't be the last hunting story me and Garrett share together. Glad you guys are enjoying it, and glad Garrett is posting some of his writings. He will be a bowsite regular in no time. Thanks again for the congrats on the elk, still a little surreal!

08-Jan-19

garrett.titus's embedded Photo
Here's a picture of me holding an elk quarter. Honestly, it never gets old looking at groceries like that.

08-Jan-19

Then of course, we have this shot, unbeknownst to me that we'd be climbing to this same spot in a short few hours.

08-Jan-19
Treeline I most certainly will continue to better my writing to hopefully get published someday. As for Chase he most definitely gave me some meat for the long haul. Nothing beats fresh elk. Another wild fact is that I packed out the tongue, and made it in salt brine the next day. That is something I recommend everyone try at least once. It was something I will be sure to do again.

09-Jan-19
Garrett, great writing as others have said. You know Mark Twain was a MO guy too! Probably warmer here in MO today but you have some fine scenery in Montana, enjoy what you have and keep on writing.

09-Jan-19
Man you have a gift great writing.

09-Jan-19
Great read! Thanks for posting!!!

09-Jan-19
Very well written, Congrats!

09-Jan-19
That was an excellent post. You suck the reader right in as if they are standing next to you. Well done guys on sharing lifelong memories!

09-Jan-19
Awesome stuff Garrett! Thanks for sharing it with us! Hope to see more!

09-Jan-19
That was definitely a good read! Hope to read some more of your stuff in the future. Thanks for sharing!

09-Jan-19
Bowhunter24, the Twain reference is flattering beyond anything I deserve. MO will always be home for me and I aspire to be as good as Twain once was. I will continue to write! Glad you enjoyed it.

09-Jan-19
Drummer Boy, you should check out a few of my other posts through the link I posted if you're interested! I am glad you enjoyed my perspective of the pack out!

09-Jan-19
HUNT MAN I am very glad you enjoyed it sir. Can't wait to become more of a regular on this site!

09-Jan-19
elkmtngear, I am extremely happy you enjoyed my piece.

09-Jan-19
Great read! How about some pictures of the bull, etc!?

09-Jan-19
T MAC, I appreciate the kind words, this is so incredible everyone seems to enjoy it. Couldn't have done it without Chase.

09-Jan-19
Brotsky glad you loved it!

09-Jan-19

Here's Chase putting the final touches on his bull.
Here's Chase putting the final touches on his bull.

09-Jan-19

Here is Chase carrying his load up the canyon on our way out.
Here is Chase carrying his load up the canyon on our way out.
Sorry Nick, I really don't have a ton of photo's. I will see if Chase will post them on this thread for everybody to see.

09-Jan-19

BoggsBowhunts's embedded Photo
I’ll post some photos that I got as well, here’s the only one that me and Garrett got together I believe. We didn’t take the time to set up a tripod and take some nice photos together when we were back at the elk. This was the first time I met up with him, the morning after discussing some areas, one of which being the one we ended up packing a bull out of. Little did we know we would be seeing each other only a couple of days later

09-Jan-19

Here’s me juuuust starting up the mountain. The bottom of the opposite hillside of lodgepole timber (above the dead tree in the photo) is where the elk was. This photo was probably about 1/4-1/5 of the way up the mountain, maybe less. Although bright in this photo, it was dark by the time we got to the top. Once we got there it was a downhill trail leading back the 4 miles to the truck

09-Jan-19

The next morning. I’m loaded down and headed to Missouri and Garrett is headed to Missoula.

09-Jan-19
One of the best reads , that I read in sometime, hope to read you blog also, good luck.

09-Jan-19
I can't add much to what's already been said, but I did have tongue tacos last week and they were excellent.

09-Jan-19
I’ll send you what I want to say so you can write it for me ha ha!! Very nicely done!!

09-Jan-19
Remember reading the previous thread. Great story telling, you have a gift!!! Thanks for sharing.

10-Jan-19
Truly brilliant writing. It's good to have "friends"...

10-Jan-19

Z Barebow's Link
Great read. If I am compare my "eloquence" to your writing, this snippet comes to mind. (BTW, I am the Sh!tkicker! LOL!)

• Sitka Gear