ELKMAN 16-Jan-19
weekender21 19-Jan-19
Beendare 19-Jan-19
Lost Arra 19-Jan-19
yooper89 20-Jan-19
leftee 20-Jan-19
10-Jan-19

yooper89's Link
https://www.foxnews.com/great-outdoors/hunters-turn-to-hipsters-to-help-boost-sports-declining-numbers

10-Jan-19
I saw that. Skeptical that there are a few million "hipsters" sitting around thinking, "Dang, I'd take up big game hunting if only they would let me use a crossbow..."

10-Jan-19
There are at least 100,000 of them following that Charles Post fella that caused such a stink recently. On top of all the new Rinella fans and Rogan hard ons that fall into the mix. Millions might be a stretch, but not too far off. It's "in" right now.

10-Jan-19
I know lots of hippies in that Jackson area that hunt. They love organic wild game meat. They are easy going, ethical, and hard working. No egos. I think some people could learn a thing or two from them to be honest.

10-Jan-19
Hate to break this to you, Joe, but "hipsters" are pretty much the antithesis of "hippies". More like millennial metrosexuals.

;-)

10-Jan-19
“It’s all I can think about,” anthropology graduate student Jennifer DeMoss, 40, told the Journal."

One of the comments about going back out hunting. Not a bad thing.

10-Jan-19
I try to avoid all this labeling of people since I'm in the Denny's-Discount-gray-hair group.

10-Jan-19
The archery club i'm involved with actively recruits the younger crowd. With the baby boomers aging out we definitely need millennials and their kids to get involved.

11-Jan-19
Couple days ago I got a Pinterest link to top 10 or something "manly" hobbies to take up..... archery was the thumbnail pic for the link.....

I didn't follow the link...... right, like I need anything/something else......

11-Jan-19
See Lou I told you I was old. I’m not hip to much I guess. I can tell you my experience with millennials is they don’t really like to sweat to get what they want so they probably wouldn’t last very long elk hunting! But they try to invent things to make it easier to achieve their goals and change laws to suit their needs so maybe we’ll be hunting elk with laser guided missiles launched from our laptops at some point.

11-Jan-19
I recall seeing a surge in archery interest among tweenage girls after the Hungergames movie came out. The indoor range I shoot at was suddenly packed. Always nice to see people try something new

11-Jan-19
Imagine having your elk meat delivered by an Amazon drone! What a fulfilling experience....

11-Jan-19
Hipsters are generally too effete to get dirty from what I've seen. That stated, the growing dislike/ suspicion of the industrialization of food will awaken a small portion of folks to hunting. That may have a slight participatory bump to hunting but not particularly bowhunting, imo. In the least, there should be more support among non-hunters.

11-Jan-19
WTH is "earthy crunchy"?

I guess I'm technically a millennial being 30, but I grew up hunting. Wish they weren't using crossbows, but it's vitally important to get new people introduced to hunting.

Also OP- you're not endearing yourself to this millennial by posting up a foxnews aka fakenews link lol

11-Jan-19
We need to recruit all the "earth crunchy" young hipsters to hunting that we can.

Stay "earth crunchy" Bowsiters.

11-Jan-19
Some of the guys I hunt with have had hip replacement done. Does that make them hipsters? If it does, then what about the ones that have had their knees done, are they "kneesters"??

13-Jan-19
Mule Power quote: "I know lots of hippies in that Jackson area that hunt. They love organic wild game meat. They are easy going, ethical, and hard working. No egos. I think some people could learn a thing or two from them to be honest."

I couldn't agree more, and I know a few of them. I really hope that their reasoning is the path hunting will take into the future. I wish a whole bunch of "hunters" hunted for the same reason the so called "hippsters" do...

13-Jan-19
How many will quit when they hear CWD?

13-Jan-19
Its better that the hipsters are on our side vs being on the anti-hunters side. Be careful what you wish for.

14-Jan-19
^^^Agreed

I've discussed the benefits of hunting to tons of hipsters and have rarely left the conversation with them thinking poorly of hunting. I've recruited a few to hunting. Every step they take, they become more conservative and more aligned to our side and less inclined to vote for these ridiculous ballot measures which are the anti's #1 tool to end hunting.

We need all the allies we can get.

14-Jan-19
Guys.........I think it's time to concede the fact that the "conservatives" aren't always on the side of conservation and the 'Flat Brim Army" might be our only chance for the north american model for wildlife conservation to continue into the future. As stewards of North American wildlife we need the "hipsters"( read, men under 40) to take up the cause and carry it into the future, whether or not they believe in the "neo-conservative (which is not very conservative) vision for america the boomer generation keeps pushing.

The younger guys I hang out with :

1.Know they are lucky to have access to high quality resources( elk deer etc. )

2. Are willing to work hard for opportunities at game and really appreciate the opportunities they are afforded.

3. Value the experience associated with hunting for your own food.

These are not necessarily the same values I see in the 50+ crowd.

Have faith oldsters, your grand-kids are going to get on without you the same way you got on without your grandparents,

Keep on Keepin' on Brothers!

14-Jan-19
"These are not necessarily the same values I see in the 50+ crowd."

How many 50+ folks you hunt with??? Most guys still bowhunting at 50+ I know are hard core hunters. Whitetail treestand stuff I'm not familiar with, but they guys I pound ground with are dedicated. You don't do it at that age unless you are.

Only thing I can really agree with in that post is eventually we all get old and die. Not exactly a revelation. Any hunters left when we are dead and gone will be younger..... that's like saying water is wet.....

I certainly don't see a big difference in ethics or morals generationally WRT hunting....... guess I'm not sure what point is trying to be made. Maybe I just hang with a different crowd.....

14-Jan-19
New folks interested in and investing in hunting is a positive. I've definitely seen more "new" hunters over the last 10 years or so come from the "earthy crunchy" hippy crowd - wanting healthy "organic" meat, and the psychological experience of spending time in the woods being key focus points. That said, in fly fishing a LOT of the "new" crowd are hippster "like" folks. They may bring some different approaches, but they definitely have swollen the ranks and have a strong belief in conservation - that's a positive to me.

15-Jan-19
Bow hunting IS the new "Fly Fishing"... Now all we need is some dumb ass movie called "An Arrow runs through it" and the cycle will be complete.

15-Jan-19
“Bow hunting IS the new ‘Fly Fishing’...”

Well, except for the metal-flake, 450-hp drift boats, fishfinders, trolling motors....

All least all those G## D#### Yuppies didn’t show up with a Surf-Casting rod and an Adjusta-bubble and call it “flyfishing”....

15-Jan-19
I just hate that I can't drink a tall boy PBR anymore without being labeled a hipster. First my PBR, now they are after my elk hunting! Damn hipsters! :-)

15-Jan-19
I think I’d rather be called a Hipster than drink a PBR, but hey, whatever’s good for ya!

15-Jan-19
More troubling to me right now is; how come Missouribreaks hasn't been on here and worked "scoped crossbows" into the conversation!? Is he ok?

15-Jan-19
That’s because “crossbows” is where this one started!

15-Jan-19
"I think I’d rather be called a Hipster than drink a PBR, but hey, whatever’s good for ya!"

Sacrilege! I've never seen such blasphemy on the Bowsite! :-)

15-Jan-19
That’s because you didn’t have 300-some former co-workers laid off by Heilman...

Besides. I’m more of an IPA guy....

15-Jan-19
I believe public DIY type hunting is essentially doomed....it has become significantly worse in the last 30 years IMHO. Those without property or those who cannot afford to pay for access to private property are essentially screwed.

15-Jan-19
Not so much for elk hunting in the mountains. You deer guys need to head for the hills!

15-Jan-19
my elk hunting is limited to Colorado.......but the public opportunities there are not 1/2 of they were back in the 1980s.

16-Jan-19
Mule: Elk hunting in the mountains is not immune. With the Elk changing their range/habits to counter act year round pressure from Wolves there will be only fractional Elk left in the mountains in the future.

19-Jan-19
Times change; motivations change. I find it hard to look at more people becoming interested in hunting as a bad thing. I don't care that they actually hunt as much as I care they understand why we hunt and support hunting.

If the hipster hunting movement only lasts a few years, we should do our part to ensure they enjoy it. Maybe they'll tell their kids how important hunting is.

19-Jan-19
Interesting discussion. I'm with Mule Power; Hipster, Hippie, Millennial- all the same to me.

Some of these folks like that Charles Post character that will sell their sole on social media to get a few more 'likes' and sponsorships are in the same category as fake news to me. My hope is there will be more self policing of these social outlets- calling out some of these folks that make their living from being a media hoe. If a guy comes on this site with some outlandish claim...he will get lambasted...but maybe Bowsite is ahead of its time? /grin

A buddy [50's] just took a position at a startup here in San Francisco and his commentary on the younger generation was surprising. He said that he was impressed with their views when he dug down a little and has a new vigor for what that younger generation will accomplish. So there's hope.

I've got a couple sharp kids [College age] and though I don't agree with some of the stuff they do they end up surprising me sometimes with how well they get it.

19-Jan-19
Think there may be some overlap of this hipster/hunting movement and the controlling interest purchase of Meateater?

20-Jan-19

yooper89's Link
https://www.themeateater.com/hunt/firearm-hunting/steven-rinella-addresses-questions-about-meateater-inc

20-Jan-19
Nice.Thanks for the reference.

• Sitka Gear