Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
There is the debate to what to call these southern Arizona, western New Mexico, northern/central Mexico White tailed deer. Do you pronounce it Coues or Cows? Actually 'Cows' is the correct pronunciation for 'Coues' as that was the name and correct pronunciation of the person who classified this special WT deer.

But lets give this WT deer some credit as 'Dynamite does come in little packages' as I recently found out on my 9th Coues deer hunt to AZ. The Gray Ghost does exist but can vanish in a second if your are not looking in the right places. The word "cow" surely does not fit this small, finely structured, but energetic animal.

11-Jan-19
Super cool. Tell us a story Paul.

11-Jan-19
Despite "Cows" being the correct pronounciation it sounds odd given the number of "moo cows / poo cows" prevalent in the desert southwest so I revert to "Coos" even though I know it's incorrect.

Great pics!

11-Jan-19

but after two days in camp, another 8 inch of snow fell and the temp in the popup camper that morning was 14 degrees.
but after two days in camp, another 8 inch of snow fell and the temp in the popup camper that morning was 14 degrees.
even with 4 wheel drive, the roads were a challenge and good hunting spots were hard to get to.
even with 4 wheel drive, the roads were a challenge and good hunting spots were hard to get to.
As Scott and Bubba found out on their recent Coues deer hunt, the AZ weather can be unpredictable at times. I had to postpone my trip from Colorado by two days and the blizzard that hit southern Colorado, New Mexico and the lower half of AZ took its time moving through. I did arrive the Sunday before the start of the season on January 1.

11-Jan-19
I read quite a few years ago that the guy the Deer was named for pronounced his name “Cows”. But when talking about them I still say “Coos” so people wont tell me I’m saying it Wrong. :^)

11-Jan-19
I have the flu please tell me your set up with a glass of bourbon and gonna run through this tonight!

11-Jan-19

but this time there was snow and after hunting the stand off and on for the next 5 days I only saw one buck and two does.
but this time there was snow and after hunting the stand off and on for the next 5 days I only saw one buck and two does.
So during the next few day I was able to set up my tree stand where I had killed a buck two years ago.

11-Jan-19

the correct stand picture
the correct stand picture

11-Jan-19

buck with doe.
buck with doe.
rut heating up
rut heating up
in a few days the snow had melted off and made hunting more enjoyable. I am sure the deer liked less snow. The rut was just starting during that first week, as I was starting to see a few bucks with does.

11-Jan-19

arrow on its way at 22 yards. I was careful not to over shoot these small deer as they seem farther away
arrow on its way at 22 yards. I was careful not to over shoot these small deer as they seem farther away
Cut to the chase! So on the afternoon of January 8, actually noon, I was hiking a two rut road and heading back 40 minutes to an area where I had a fork horn buck within 10 yards the evening before. Half way there, I see a good buck following a doe 35 yards off the trail ahead. I quickly head them off to get the wind in my favor. They pass by at 25 yards

11-Jan-19
And...

11-Jan-19
Dang! Gonna be a quick one!

11-Jan-19

point of impact
point of impact
good blood trail farther on
good blood trail farther on
still pumping 50 yards later. tall grass
still pumping 50 yards later. tall grass
as I found him,and 20 yards farther. pass through from opposite front shoulder. took out total lungs
as I found him,and 20 yards farther. pass through from opposite front shoulder. took out total lungs

11-Jan-19

good Coues buck, 4x4, good mass, nice dark color, 13 inch wide
good Coues buck, 4x4, good mass, nice dark color, 13 inch wide
happy hunter. Size of buck, ie, bow is 32 in ATA. Yes, Dynamite does come in a little package.
happy hunter. Size of buck, ie, bow is 32 in ATA. Yes, Dynamite does come in a little package.
used a mechanical BH for the very first time on a "big game" animal. good results
used a mechanical BH for the very first time on a "big game" animal. good results

11-Jan-19
Congratulations Paul! And thanks for sharing. I was unable to go this year so this helps me to still enjoy someone else's hunt.

11-Jan-19
Congrats!!!

11-Jan-19
Thanks for taking us along!

11-Jan-19
Great buck! Congrats!

11-Jan-19
Great buck Paul, congrats!

11-Jan-19
Here is an interesting fact. Of the 5 AZ bucks, three were killed around noon. So if you have the urge to head back to camp for lunch. Well don't!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Prime time, 9 am to 3 pm.

11-Jan-19
Very nice Paul but too quick! What Head is that? Almost looks like Raptor Trick?

11-Jan-19
Way to go Paul!!! Congrats and well deserved!

11-Jan-19
Very nice! Congratulations on a great buck! Luv them little deer!

11-Jan-19
Spike, Slick Trick. opens after it punches through the hide. A small entrance hole but if a pass through, a two inch exit hole. If not a pass through, there might not be a good blood trail. Did a job on the lungs. Would not use it on elk or big deer. Just me. Paul

11-Jan-19
That's awesome Paul.

11-Jan-19
Nicely done and great buck!

11-Jan-19
Paul, how big do you think that buck was with the doe? He looks looks like he has the body and attitude of a llama. Plus crazy tall and big brows. That is a nice deer. Glad you were successful. Seems like you always are. Congrats.

11-Jan-19
Great stuff and congrats!

11-Jan-19
Lived in Prescott for a short time, but was amazed how the "cows" would just disappear from the mid-west whitetails I hunted. Congrats to another good cow hunt, keeps the smile.

11-Jan-19

Wayne, I showed that pic to a taxidermist who was hunting nearby. He thought in the 90s. Hard to tell if the buck was a 3x3 or 4x4. Yea, tall for sure with heavy bases. Would not have passed him up if he presented himself later. Here is another buck tending a doe, a good 90 plus. Took the pic from the truck. Tried to rattle and call him in for two days but never saw him again. Girl Friend for sure. I did rattle another one in but he got down wind at 50 yards the following day. Exciting stuff but then what bow hunt is not? Paul

11-Jan-19
Glad to see things come together for you Paul! That is a great deer. Thanks for sharing the pics and story.

11-Jan-19
Congrats man! You sure know how to get it done.

11-Jan-19
Another excellent adventure! Congrats and thanks for letting us ride along again sir!

11-Jan-19
Hell yeah! Congrats Paul!

11-Jan-19

no food plots, corn fields, etc.
no food plots, corn fields, etc.
lots of stickers in some places
lots of stickers in some places
Just natural food stuff
Just natural food stuff
Justin, these Coues WT react much the same as mid west WTs. They react to grunt calls, antler rattling, doe bleating. Their rut in early to late January. That is different is the habitat they live in, as pictured.

11-Jan-19
Looks like fun. How much does a non resident tag cost! I am assuming you are hunting national forest? Is it crowded? Do you see any javelinas? Any rattle snakes? I might have to add this hunt to the bucket list.

Thanks

11-Jan-19
This looks so fun.. great job Paul.. cpa..ing as a tax accountant means this hunt will have to wait many years before u can get down there

11-Jan-19
Always impressive . Thanks for taking the time to post . Your a true inspiration to all of us . Hunt

11-Jan-19
That’s amazing. To hear a lot of people tell it, you simply CANNOT kill a decent Coues buck without being comfortable behind the scope of a 500-yard tack-driver, and here you are with pics of two OUTSTANDING bucks and a third on the ground.

And I’m not interested in a mechanical, but using one that doesn’t deploy until it has penetrated a bit sure makes a helluvalot better sense than the ones that try to leave a 2” entrance...

Well done, brother! Next time, try bow that’s twice as long - it’ll be a longer story ! ;)

12-Jan-19
Paul congrats on a fine coues and adventure! I like cool sleeping weather but 14 degrees inside holy shivers!

12-Jan-19

very big squirrels down there
very big squirrels down there
Ryanic, non resident tag and license. Deer tag= $300 and then add a small game/fishing license for $160, Total $460. I contacted the AZ Game and Fish and filled out a paper app and sent them the money on Dec 1. I received both deer tag and small game license by mid Dec in time to travel down. Yes, National Forest. No snakes that I have seen at that time of year. Pigs? not at the higher elevations but have seen them lower and the base of the mts. in the scrub brush and sticky stuff.

GF, if the bow is twice as long, will the Coues buck be twice as big. If there is another hunt for Coues in the future, I might use the stick. I did have it along as a back up bow. Does that count??

Tmac. yea cold for a day or two but then warmed up to 45-50 with morning temps around 32, - or +. I just used the Heater Buddy in the morn and evening prior to bed. I have a O degree bag and if needed, cover that with a blanket and I wear a wool watch cap. Plenty warm and comfortable. I did have to cover up the water jugs with a winter coat to keep them from freezing and I always went to bed with a pot of water on the stove so if it iced up, I just turned on the burner and boiled the water.

12-Jan-19
Well done Paul! You always have a good story and great pics. Keep at it

12-Jan-19
Congrats Paul! Thanks for posting your hunt!

12-Jan-19
Thanks for sharing. Sounds like you had a good time. And a nice deer to boot.

12-Jan-19
Awesome Paul, congrats!!!

12-Jan-19
Great deer Paul. Next in line will be the start of your turkey hunts. I always look forward to your posts.

12-Jan-19
"14 degrees in the pop up camper". Wow, I'll bet you didn't pop up out of your bag, more like sneaked out ! :-)

Great story Paul, and pics to boot. You never disappoint ! Great job getting it done with less than perfect conditions.

12-Jan-19
Well done Paul.....Congrats!

12-Jan-19

Hey drycreek, two years ago in the same area, I awoke to 30 degrees and decided to stay in bed and not hunt that morning. I check the trail camera later in the morning and guess what walked pass the camera just a few minutes before I arrived. Snooze you lose. In this case I did. See Picture.

12-Jan-19
Excellent Paul. Your an inspiration to us all. I don’t know what you did for a living, but you sure know how to take us along for the ride. Good deal

12-Jan-19
Always enjoy your threads Paul. Nice pictures also. Congratulations !

12-Jan-19
Hey Jim, just living the life of a hunter and as time gets shorter, one should value any hunting time in the woods and should try to maintain that life style as long as possible. I take one year, one step and one heart beat, at a time. Thanks for the nice comments. PS, Heading out for the gym. my best, Paul

12-Jan-19
Excellent Paul. Your an inspiration to us all. I don’t know what you did for a living, but you sure know how to take us along for the ride. Good deal

12-Jan-19
Congratulations on other great adventure.

12-Jan-19
Good job Paul!

12-Jan-19
Awesome. Forrest

12-Jan-19
Congratulations Paul!!! I am still trying. I am hunting new areas for this time of year.

Great buck and story as always!!!!’

12-Jan-19

I am very sure the reason we all hunt is that we can enjoy the great wild game meat provided by our efforts and our kill. Ended up with 28# of various cuts of Coues WT. I would guess this buck , on the hoof, might have weighted 90# so the ruled or "thirds" seem to be correct. ie, 2/3 waste (hide, bones, guts, etc,) and 1/3 usable meat. Thanks for following along. When is dinner? I an't telling! my best, Paul

12-Jan-19
Congrats... thanks for sharing

12-Jan-19
Another great thread! Always enjoy reading about your adventures. I hope to do retirement half as well as you have!

12-Jan-19
Congratulations Paul! Enjoyed reading your adventure.

12-Jan-19
Congrats Paul thanks for sharing your adventure.

12-Jan-19
Paul, you're amazing. Congrats again!

13-Jan-19

Already back when you were worried about the storm making you late, I knew there was a Dead Coues Walking. Congrats Paul! I don't know how you always pull it off seemingly so effortlessly. Too consistent to be just luck.

13-Jan-19

Rod, there was a lot of time traveling/scouting/hunting/hiking/waiting/analyzing, in between getting there and the kill over those eight days. Remember, I had hunted these Coues bucks 8 other times. Yep, I was lucky to be in the right place at the right time. Great when it all comes together. Sometime not. Maybe the moon and stars were lined up correctly. Thanks. my best, Paul

13-Jan-19
Great hunt Paul....congrats on your success!

13-Jan-19
Well, heck, I sat down for a nice, long Sunday morning read of the adventures of Paul but like Crystal always says, "That was way too quick!" ;-)

Congrats again Paul and thanks for the pics and story!

13-Jan-19

Hey Nick, sometimes my post/stories can be too long so this time I just "cut to the chase". If I had known you were going to make a Sunday morning event over it, I would have made it longer. I will keep your remarks in mind for the next story. Lets see, I can still kill a few geese, and then turkey season is coming up, then pronghorn in August and then, Oh Boy!, elk season in Sept. Hope you can wait. Keep the coffee on. Thanks for the note. My best, Paul PS, here is the only buck I saw on trail camera that passed during shooting hours and the day before the season. Eight inches of snow did not help. Sunny and warm AZ in January, well not always.

13-Jan-19
Paul-Always a pleasure to read recaps of your adventures! You are expert at creating opportunity...

Goals: Be like Paul when I grow up.....lol

13-Jan-19
Ki Ke. you better speak with my wife before you set your goals. :) PS, thanks for the complement. Paul

13-Jan-19
As has already been stated --- Paul does it again! Very nice Paul, and couldn't happen to a more deserving person - looks to me like that old adage "you get out of it, what you put into it" proved to be true. At your age, you are a true inspiration -- (meant in the most respectful way!)

13-Jan-19
It just dawned on me that in this thread is the only time I've ever seen a story of a Couse deer hunt with snow on the ground. Only Paul would be that lucky ! :-)

13-Jan-19
Paul, Another awesome job of making it look easy (when I know it's not). Your annual Coues success thread always makes me feel like I'm not hunting hard enough!

13-Jan-19
Inshaft, I know we all put a lot in to our hunts and I am blessed with more time to hunt than usual being retired for the past 17 years. I can not imagine the time (days, hours, minutes, seconds) I have spent over the past 65 year with some sort of bow and arrow in my hand.

But along that "road" I have learned a few things about hunting but also, every year, the wild critters teach me a few things also and that is, "I don't know as much as I think I do". So I keep trying. This is the key. JUST KEEP TRYING AND KEEP LEARNING. my best, Paul

13-Jan-19
Congratulations on being open minded enough to give a mechanical a try. It’s Never easy “breaking out” but you were open. Continued success! C

13-Jan-19
Very nice congratulations!!

13-Jan-19
DynaMITE MAN Paul!!! Congrats, enchanting as always <3

Janez

13-Jan-19
As always Paul, a great read, a very successful adventure, a great deer, and an inspiration wrapped up in an 8 day hunt. Very much enjoyed every bit of it; best of luck on your upcoming goose hunts!

13-Jan-19

Let the feast begin and starting with Coues Buck liver, heart and onions. I can't believe we ate the whole thing. Red wine to wash it down. What can be better? Well maybe the Tenderloins next! my best, Paul

13-Jan-19
Thanks for sharing your story Paul!

13-Jan-19
Paul, great recap, you did well! Just wanted to tell you, we’ve got the same plates!! Must be the reason we each have such good luck!

13-Jan-19
Great job Paul! Thanks for letting us tag along!

13-Jan-19
Good job Paul. Maybe for the next meal you should make some 'cuscus' to go with the 'couse'!

13-Jan-19
Congrats Paul, I have been looking for your story!

14-Jan-19
Well done Paul, congrats on another great trophy. You surely are living the hunters dream.

14-Jan-19
Outstanding... congratulations. Ed F

14-Jan-19
Congratulations Paul!

14-Jan-19
Well, it’s obvious you know how to eat it too. Great stuff. I miss me some mashed taters. Much better then tater tots.

14-Jan-19
Well done as always Paul! Congrats on more memories made and a dandy buck! Enjoyed following along, I'm sure Chase was happy to have you home!

14-Jan-19
Congrats on a great buck Paul!!! As always, thanks for sharing!

14-Jan-19
Fantastic Paul! This is on the bucket list for me.

14-Jan-19
Congratulations, Paul! look forward to meeting you in Omaha. I'll buy you that one beer. :)

14-Jan-19
Congrats Paul on a great buck! Always enjoy it when you share your experiences!

14-Jan-19
Another great hunt. Thanks for sharing Paul.

14-Jan-19
Well here is a question for your guys concerning 'free ranging wt deer'. What I mean by free ranging white tail deer, is that there is no agriculture present to attract them to a specific place to be hunted.

I was thinking about these Coues WTs and where they live and how they do their day to day routines. I know they have their favorite eating areas depending on the seasons, but it is naturally grown; no food plots, corn fields, beans, etc.

I would expect there are some big wood like in the UP of Michigan or the big woods of Up State NY and along the Blue Ridge Mt where the deer are not attracted of agriculture products and are Free Roaming and I would expect just harder to pattern, to get near, to hunt, and to kill.

These Coues deer are Free Roamers for sure. Lets hear about other Free Roaming WT areas you know about. my best, Paul

14-Jan-19
Paul, been looking for this story ever since you left. Thanks for sharing another great hunt. Always fun to follow along. I hope the comment about it still being goose season means we won't have to wait long for another! Good luck to you and Chase!!

14-Jan-19
Granberry Glades in WV. About 110,000 acres of wilderness area. Nestled in 1 million acres of National Forest.

The cranberry wilderness area is behind gated access that spans 18 miles from one gate to another north to south. 22 air miles east to west of roadless country. It’s big, thick, nasty, tough country that according to game biologists has a deer density of 3-4 deer per square mile. Add in thick brush and you can literally go weeks without seeing one.

I hunt it two weeks every year and while I often do kill one, it’s earned in the miles to find it. And the sweet to pack it out.

14-Jan-19
Great story.Congratulations.Not an easy hunt. Been there,I think I still have thorns in my hide!

14-Jan-19
Awesome Paul, as usual. Congrats on a great hunt and extending your season.

14-Jan-19
Congrats Paul nice buck and great story thanks for taking us along Lewis

14-Jan-19

Next Step, A Euro Mount. The house will smell like cooking deer meat for the next few hours. Could be worse! my best, Paul

15-Jan-19
You did great Paul------> Again!

Thanks for taking us along

Good luck, Robb

15-Jan-19
Great buck and great story Paul, congrats! i wondered about your hunt down south while i was chasing Muley's. I used 40 by volume hydrogen peroxide on my Euro. It turned out sweet.

15-Jan-19
I'm with Hunt. Thanks Paul. Always impressed. Wish I was with you!

15-Jan-19

Ok, step two, simmered for 6-7 hours and all meat, etc, removed and then dried. As GotBowAZ suggested, will apply peroxide today for the final step. Fun Stuff for sure. The hunt ain't over yet!

my best, Paul THANKS FOR ALL OF THE VERY NICE AND KIND COMMENTS. :)

15-Jan-19
Congratulations Paul! And no thank you to the deer head soup you are cooking! Kidding about the soup of course. Kurt

15-Jan-19
Kurt, I bet if you were really hungry, you would take a few dips. Actually, the broth and left over skull meat looked ok. NO, I did not try any. Paul

15-Jan-19
Congrats Paul! I love coues deer and am missing them rt now...

15-Jan-19

SBH's embedded Photo
SBH's embedded Photo
Paul....Mr. consistent! Nicely done again! Great pics, awesome thread. Thanks for posting. Pm sent.

We just got back late last night. Boy was it cold! You made a good call on hauling the camper down.

15-Jan-19
Pic won't rotate! Thats our tent the other morning. Felt like MT winter camping!

15-Jan-19
Amazing once again Paul! It would be fun to do a mini-documentary on you hunting career.

15-Jan-19
David, looking at your hunting pictures in the Bowsite gallery, you have surely done you share.

On my grave stone, it might read. " he did not bowl or play golf, he just bow hunted and died with a smile on his face". my best, Paul

15-Jan-19
SBH, I did the tent thing a few year back and payed the price when it snowed 6 inches. Got wet, no heat, could not drive places to hunt. Ended up getting a motel, drying out and then heading home. It was towards the end of the season. Yep, pop up camper.

16-Jan-19
Yet another fantastic thread, Paul! Congrats on a great buck as well. I think you should change your Bowsite handle to “Energizer Bunny”!

What species of squirrel is the one in your pic? Looks extremely similar to our midwest Fox squirrels.

16-Jan-19
Congrats!

16-Jan-19
Great stuff, as usual. Thanks for sharing your hunts with us Paul, congrats!!

16-Jan-19

Troy, that fox squirrel is the Chiricahua Fox Squirrel that is found to be restricted to the mountains of extreme SE Arizona. It seems slightly larger with a more bushy tail than the mid west squirrel but I bet just as good eating.

16-Jan-19
Nice thread and congrats on a beautiful buck Paul!

16-Jan-19

wrong picture
wrong picture
Ring tailed cat
Ring tailed cat
Here are a couple of animals you do not see on your average while tail deer hunt in the mid west.

17-Jan-19
Incredible adventure Paul! You're an inspiration to us all.

17-Jan-19
My wife makes me boil heads outside! And still complains!

Maybe I should add a little chili powder and garlic...

Well done, yet again Paul!

Love the picture of the coatimundi in the snow! Don’t see that every day for sure!

17-Jan-19
GJ Paul,

I just got back from AZ and am glad to see someone's having some success this year. You give hope to us "young guys" and if I'm still doing this 40 years from now, I'll not only be happy but tip my hat to you for giving me the assurance that it's possible the whole time.

We all look forward to next year's stories.

17-Jan-19
Hey Ike, I bet with the cold weather and some snow in AZ this January, you might have felt you were back in Alaska. I hope you at least had a few chances at the Gray Ghost. Any stories of closes misses?

my best, Paul

17-Jan-19
Simply outstanding! Threads like this get me pumped to go chase the grey ghost one of these days. It will happen!

17-Jan-19
Well done Paul!

17-Jan-19
Congrats Paul, well done - per usual!

• Sitka Gear