APauls 17-Jan-19
bad karma 17-Jan-19
Bentstick54 17-Jan-19
Ogoki 18-Jan-19
grape 18-Jan-19
Two Feathers 21-Jan-19
Teeton 21-Jan-19
12-Jan-19
I turn 60 in February. Just finished the season, and was a little slower this year putting my stand up. I hang each time, usually three XOP sticks and stand.

No balance problems yet, would like to go another ten.

Curious if many of you seniors still hang regularly, and any advice. When I have to give up my mobile approach, I know it will be less enjoyable. Figuring the deer out is what's fun for me.

Thanks.

12-Jan-19
Well I'm only 50, but my Dad is 77 and he still hangs stands and bowhunts. He is probably in better shape than I am! I sit at a desk all day. I noticed in the last couple of years his stands are a little lower than they used to be, and he takes all summer to put them up but he still kills deer with his 46# Martin. I hope to still be at that level when I'm his age.

12-Jan-19
A good question. I am still using a climber in my fifties and my 74 yo hunt partner still hunts from a stand but he sticks to ladder stands w a bar around them. A good ground blind and a Mr heater can make a good compromise for folks who balance or strength issues

12-Jan-19
Time to “hang er up” Frank. No pun intended. :)

12-Jan-19
Kudos to your Pop Errorhead ! I've never been in a hang on in my life and I stopped using a climber years ago. Of course, I'm top heavy and never liked heights, so......

12-Jan-19
I will turn 70 in July usually have around 20-25 stands out. Most I leave out all year.

Still have to put out and take down lifelines on each one, trim shooting lanes etc.

I hunt private land and a lot of my steps were put up many years ago. Ten inch 3/8 bolts, hole drilled and pounded in, the spacing was fine when I was young, I now wish I had put them closer together !!!!

Starting to put ladder stands up on locations I hunt the most.

12-Jan-19
Been thinking about the same. I hung multiple stand in 2017, at age 66. Did not last fall only cause I moved and had not found a place to hunt yet. But I did hunt Ak last year and arrowed a brown bear from a pre hung stand. I think it depends on the physical condition of the hunter. I will certainly hang more of them. Would not even consider it though with out a lineman belt, HSS and full body harness.

12-Jan-19
I haven't hung a stand now for almost 20 years, and I don't miss it! I was in my late 40's. Truth is, I was becoming a bit jaded shooting deer from trees, and wanted a new challenge (not that hanging a stand isn't a challenge, but I got that kind of challenge at work....where at least I got PAID for it). So I started ground hunting....and I got the challenge for sure. After year of this I got a ghillie suit and started stillhunting as well as sitting. It literally changed my hunting life and I'm sorry I waited so long!

Nothing wrong with stands at all. I killed a lot of deer from them and I learned a lot about them because the visual aspect of being elevated is obviously superior to being at eye level. But for me a change was due.....and they ARE a lot of work, not to mention the urge to kill you get when some a-hole steals/damages them!

12-Jan-19
I quit when I was 50. Ladder stands do what I need.

12-Jan-19
I hung a stand in AZ last week and will be 79 on March 7th. Use climbing stick to make it easier on one and screw in steps on another. Just keep strong is the key. Heading for the gym in a few minutes. my best, Paul

12-Jan-19
I'll be 63 in a week and I still hang stands. I mostly o my hunt my own property now so I have several ladder stands out , but often times have to keep up with changing deer patterns. So I just grab a hang on and head out.

12-Jan-19
Habitat, i am only in my upper 40's and have transitioned more and more to ladder stands. Carrying and hanging a stand each time I went out just seems like a ton of work. Where you enjoy that part of the hunt I think I would skip some shorter hunts if my stands weren't already up. I plan on being able to hang stands for a long time but I will spend months before the season doing it. I give you credit for still carrying a stand in each time. I dont do that at my age.

12-Jan-19
74 + and still "hanging in there"

12-Jan-19
I hate ladder stands, too exposed, I feel like I am an old guy, using them at times,,,,,,

I am 69, and had to take 2017 off, so the doctors, could fix my heart..... they said, your a swimmer, swimmers survive,,,,,, ha ha

I have a lot of private to hunt, but not enough to keep me on the same properties, and they are in some prime areas.... I am a mobile hunting nut, and have always hung and moved stands.... just got smarter at it, as I progressed, thru life.......

I went to a climber when I was 62.... nice but still a pia, at times, but comfortable, but not portable for me......... I hunt a lot of swamps and big woods.... sometimes I only use one stick, sometimes 2. No need to be above cover, to get spotted out,,,,,,

Presently I use a modified M7, and a xop vanish, and xop sticks...... I believe everything must be quiet, so most set ups need modification........

I also hunt from the ground, off of step ladders etc, have a guille , what ever is needed to get it done.......

My best advice is to stay in shape, and stay active,,,,,, I discovered a small ache on my right side, and it saved my life, as I went into have it checked out, so at your age do not dismiss that stuff................

I plan on hunting into my 90's,,,,,,,,,

12-Jan-19
I'm 60, will be switching to almost all saddle hunting next fall. Today's saddles are way more comfortable than the old stuff. And once set up you can't fall unless your equipment breaks. You just have to learn the rigging at ground level. And talk about mobile, the deer are going around me right now so tomorrow I'm going to hang and hunt where they've been cutting the corner to get past my regular stands.

12-Jan-19
Now that I’m hunting by myself usually 600 miles from home I do a few things differently now.My first priority is now safety at 56 .Clumbing stands are the norm with some ladders sprinkle in,and occasional tripod or two and as a last resort a lock on.

The funny thing is my success hasn’t waivered on whitetails ......I shoulda been doing this decades ago ha,

Lastly my Inreach satellite texter really gives me the piece of mind to keep hunting the way I like.

12-Jan-19
Started with ladder stands about ten years ago(just turned 69),for myself and my kids and grand kids.Much safer for any of use to use;have about 15 out on all private land.

12-Jan-19
I'm 73 and regularly use my LW climber (probably 3 times a week in season) and XOP hang on with half a dozen LW climbing sticks. I usually put the XOP in one location for the season. As you get older your sense of balance is one of the first things to go. Thus I never leave the ground without my safety harness. I recently purchased a Treestand Wingman. If I happen to fall while climbing or when on stand (~30 ft. for me), I don't need hanging trauma. Many times I'm hunting where no cell coverage. I also use a Wild Country Ropeman 1. Far better than a Prusik knot whether used on your climbing rope or on the linesman belt when hanging the XOP and attaching the sticks.

12-Jan-19
I will be 68 in March. Sold all but 2 of my lock ons 2 years ago. Now all ladder stands on private ground. Occasionally I use a ground blind. I don’t think I was spotted at all last year in a stand. I prefer fold up seats so I can hug the tree. Still have a LW climber but have not used it for 3 years.

12-Jan-19
Be 75 next month and use hunting towers only on my farm. Have 6-7 ladder stands still up but only use them when deer travel changes.

I never felt exposed in a ladder stand. In my my mind deer don't pay attention to ladder stand is just another crooked tree. However if you get busted by a deer in a ladder stand it was the hunter's movement that cause the deer to spook out not the ladder stand. Used ladder stands of almost 40 yrs of my 52 years of deer hunting in Ohio.

12-Jan-19
I live in spruce/fir country. I have two hang on stands I put up for relatives. I only groundhunt and find it a pain to hang them as you have to cut branches all the way up. At 72, it is time to let them hang them.

12-Jan-19
67 and still using screw in steps and a whole bunch of Lone Wolf Alphas. And a lifeline always including one on my one ladder stand that I practice out of behind my cottage all summer long! best regards from Canada!

12-Jan-19
I'm 56, and never got into stands. I much more enjoy hunting from the ground, using natural blinds.

12-Jan-19
A numeric age is not the simple or sample answer, agility, balance and strength are the key factors.

I see people all the time that are younger than I am and many are in pathetic shape. I also see people working out at the gym who are older than I am and they are an inspiration and encouragement.

I think common sense and body response and ability will give you your answer.

12-Jan-19
I'm about the same age as the OP and bought a Summit climber late last summer for more mobile hunting, since my private land access dried up. Never got on to anything on publc ground worth hauling it in this fall, so most of my hunting was from the ground with a stool.....aks "run and gun". However I have a LW stand and sticks (also a set of Hawk Helium) that I will use for a temporary setup as needed. I do lift, shoot, and do cardio at least 3x a week.....as I have the majority of my life. Use it....or lose it.

12-Jan-19
I'll be 71 in April, I use ladder stands mostly but still use a hang on when I have to make a move.

12-Jan-19
I am still using climbing sticks, hang on stands, like Paul, will be 79, 6/19. keep strong, watch where you step, on the ground, on the tree.

12-Jan-19
I am still using climbing sticks, hang on stands, like Paul, will be 79, 6/19. keep strong, watch where you step, on the ground, on the tree.

12-Jan-19
I am 68 I haven’t hung any in 3 or 4 years. I still climb up unsing sticks but mostly ladder stands my son sets them for me now and just sends me in the right direction lol

12-Jan-19
Hanging stands has always been a pain in the ass. Used my climber more last season. Maybe I will have to get some of the lighter sticks.

12-Jan-19
I’ll be 63 this month. I usually hang about 25 or so stands each year. Not counting the times I just move one, or just do a hang and hunt. It takes little longer to do it, but I try to stay in shape all year. It helps that I’ve not had any major medical problems.

12-Jan-19
69 and still hang them, but prefer using the ladder stands most of the time.

12-Jan-19

TJF's embedded Photo
TJF's embedded Photo
Not many trees in my area so 99.9 % time I ground hunt using any natural blind I can hide my big arsed body in. I shot my very first buck out of a tree stand in 1982 so I can't say 100 % though. Last year through I had to break down and hang one in a tree. At 56 years old, bucks still make me do stupid things. I forgot what a pain they are to hang in an over sized tree that was leaning horribly to the SE !! Burned a few fat cells that day !!! Was for nothing through as the buck I really wanted, broke off most of his right side the beginning of November fighting. The other big buck down there also got busted up at the same time. It was really nice getting off the ground to hunt. Really liked the view and enjoyed it. Hoping he comes back to the same area next year so I can do it again.

12-Jan-19
Switched to ladder stands at 70!

12-Jan-19
I'm turning 61 in a few weeks. Hanging stands has never been easier since I now do it with a tree saddle. With a saddle, it's easier than when I was 25.

12-Jan-19
75 and still scouting,trimming and hanging in at least 3 States a year.Have 3 ladder stands at home though.Trying to be safer with age but can't envision not hanging/hunting new spots most of the time.

12-Jan-19
At 65 with knee replacements causing imbalance problems and with back,shoulser neck issues, I am going all ground blind. Hope it woks out, I really like being above 15-18 feet.

12-Jan-19
72, put one 20 feet up today. Urban hunt, started today till February 17th. Hang on stand 80% of the time, climbing stand 20%. Hit the gym three days a week. Cardio and stretching three days a week. The older I get, the harder it is to stay flexible

12-Jan-19
60 this month. Still have a few hang ons. About 5 years ago I really went with ladder stands. Found a model (under $100.00) that I like and love the stands. Wide and comfortable and easy to get into and out of. NOTE: I hunt private land and the ladder stands stay up all year long.

13-Jan-19
68.5 years - get my best bucks from a ground blind but I still have a couple ladder stands out. I’ve used ladders for 25+ years & they are awesome & safe. I’ve had deer walk between the ladder & the tree.

13-Jan-19
I prefer hunting from the ground. Why in a tree? Tackle em' Bite thier throat out and drag em' out. 60yrd shot from tree? Spot and stalk seems more successful.

13-Jan-19
Rocky,

Yes, I agree!! That's what I wanted to hear for sure. Appreciate all of the feedback.

I just started using a lineman's belt to hang. I hope to be able to continue for a long time. I try to walk a hard two miles every day, and do push-ups regularly. I am very physical chainsawing, food plots, general outdoor work.

You ground hunters are impressive as well. For me I have long believed deer pattern us before we do them. So I try to keep moving in order to give myself better odds. It is fun and challenging to adjust to their changes, and very satisfying when successful.

Thanks again!

13-Jan-19
And good luck today Rocky. This is our last weekend to hunt in MO and the trek to our farm was too risky given the storm that passed thru. Next year!

13-Jan-19

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
My last "hang" in Nebraska looked like this. A combo of a hang on stand and a 15 ft light weight alum extend ladder. I tied the top of the ladder to the tree before setting the stand. I was only 9 ft off the ground but can go as high as 15 if needed with this set up. my best. End results, a dead buck. Paul

13-Jan-19
Frank, I'm 68 and still hanging my stands and other peoples too.

13-Jan-19
I hang about 1/2 dozen a season, and might move them as needed. I'll be 67 in March.

14-Jan-19
I will be 68 in April and still use my hang on stands annually. Here in South Dakota, not many straight trees to use a climber and, as I hunt mostly Public Grounds a long ways from parking areas, a ladder stand is not a reasonable option though we do use them on a piece of private ground.

14-Jan-19
56 and hoping to continue hanging and hunting for a long time yet. Just have to take your time and make sure you have good footing and a linesman's belt. Feel very safe doing this.

14-Jan-19
Hung one last night and another is planned this PM. (66).

My 80 yr old brother still climbs with his Baker. I hated that thing when I tried it 35 yrs ago. He likes it and arrows a buck most yrs from it.

14-Jan-19
I couldn't hunt safely out of a Baker when was 18.... I can't imagine at 80. BE SAFE

14-Jan-19
I don’t know how anyone could hunt that long with a baker. I had to shinny down a tree the one and only time i used one

14-Jan-19
Woods walker I couldn’t have said it better myself. I am 38 and I got hooked this year on ground hunting. Not that stand hunting wasn’t challenging enough, I just like the mobile part. And always sitting on the freshest sign.

14-Jan-19
Use a safety harness no matter how young or old you are.

14-Jan-19
Depends on if you've let yourself go or had yourself diminished by injuries. I've gone to climbers recently, I'll be 55 in March, I find them way easier, I hate hanging stands, mainly because I live about three hours from where I hunt and don't like leaving them up on public. The only thing I don't like is in the cottonwoods bottoms I hunt, there are damn few trees I can get the stand up in, but I managed to do it and got a doe, had bucks in range but they just never followed the script or made a mistake, even the fork horn walked into the tree line and looked straight up at me! Smart deer on that walk in area.

15-Jan-19
I'm not quite a senior at 57 and still help hang stands and work on them on our hunting ranch and don't think twice about it. Hunting from them however is a different story. It's not the climb up and down that bothers me, but rather this little cat naps that always try to sneak in right after getting up there! Even though I faithfully wear a harness, that little head bob right before passing out has scared the members out of me too many times! I sure do like pop up ground blinds more and more with each passing season!

-Cheryl

15-Jan-19
I never felt comfortable in any stand I couldn't reach the ground with my feet. It limits me but I feel safer. Ironically I see a lot more turkeys and bears than my friends who set up in a tree.

15-Jan-19
I would say as as you are comfortable doing it. I have a good friend who turned 80 last Oct. He is still hanging stands, it's all up to you when to say when! Shawn

15-Jan-19
Be 68 in May. I use a Loc-on stand and either drill my trees with Woodpecker drill or use Buck Steps. My Loc-On goes up with me and comes down after each hunt. Rock Climbing harness for safety.

15-Jan-19
Be 68 in May. I use a Loc-on stand and either drill my trees with Woodpecker drill or use Buck Steps. My Loc-On goes up with me and comes down after each hunt. Rock Climbing harness for safety.

15-Jan-19
I think this all depends on the individual and is not necessarily dependent on age. I'm 56 and still do pull ups every morning 20 at a time. As long as i have the arm and hand strength to hang on if my feet slip, I'll still use hang on or lock on tree stands. I have started using more ladder stands of late so I'll be prepared when I'm 80. If your 30 and don't have the arm strength to hang on if one of your feet slips off of a tree step, maybe 30 is the right age.

15-Jan-19
Me at age 67 and my hunting partner age 78 hung over 30 this year. All have lifelines.

15-Jan-19
I'll turn 60 in 10 months and haven't hung a hang-on stand in 2 years and likely never will again, although I still may use my lightweight Windwalker stand and stix outfit when hunting a new area, although the stand will come out with me every time I leave...

Bought a small piece of property with hunting shack this year and may put up a permanent stand or two, but haven't figured it out yet...

15-Jan-19
JSW 20 consecutive pull ups at age 56...... Congrats that's seriously beast.

15-Jan-19
I'd bet over 95% of the guys on Bowsite can't do 20 consecutive pull ups...... At 56....WOW

15-Jan-19
I have not used a hang on stand for 30 years or more.

15-Jan-19
I was being flattering, Pat.

17-Jan-19
X-2 Loprofile, life lines, staying hook, going up & coming down.

17-Jan-19
My father and I only use ladder stands. He feels more safe and it doesn't bother me because we're ususally 20'+ up. Attached to the tree by chain and rachet strap. Loosen the strap on every stand before winter and tighten them in the spring. I think we're up to like 22 stands and 8 ground blinds now. I just don't like taking them out every year. There enough work as it with food plots, orchards, trails and shooting lanes.

17-Jan-19
I once won a pull-up competition at an Airshow and I did 21. 20 legitimate pullups is tough man. The marines put it on and made sure you had full extensions on every rep. Wouldn't be able to do it today. Locking that elbow is a killer to get started again.

I'm just loving all the guys responses 70-80 year old guys hanging and hunting you guys are awesome and motivating!

17-Jan-19
I hunt with a guy who is missing part of his left arm, is 68 years old, shoots a recurve, and hangs his tree stands every year. So, Frank, I think you have a few years left if you take care of yourself.

17-Jan-19
64 and still hang 3 to 4 hang on stands every season. Take them back down 1st chance I get when weather is decent after end of season. It does take me alittle longer to hang each one every year, but still get it done. Planning on next year doing the same God willing.

18-Jan-19
At 63 1/2 i still hang stands. Don't use screw in steps at all. Hunter Safety Systems sells a tree stand hanging vest. Has large pockets and tree rope . Use climbing sticks and hang stand ,below the top rung of ladder. Bought a couple Millininium (sp?), With the chain on bracket that the stand drops into. On my property and the farm i hunt on regular basis , I have 14 ladder stands . Painted the ladder stands with two coats of Rustoleum paint and sealed holes where water could get in. Use life lines . I feel much safer for myself and my wife to use lifelines. Worked too hard and hope to enjoy retirement.

18-Jan-19
Ok Adam....Apauls....I was going to leave this alone, but I agree with what your saying about pull ups. I thought what difference does it make how many pull ups a guy SAYS he can do? Every morning I read this thread, I think....Guys don't realize how difficult they are to do.....correctly. Give it a try Everybody!

21-Jan-19
Turning 72 and use my hangon's and climbers a lot.

21-Jan-19
Is there anyone on bowsite that's in there 40's or 30's??

After a fall last year I totally changed how I put my stands up at 54. I wear a line men's belt putting up my stands, have life lines on all and am getting more climbing sticks every year. Went from steps on all to mostly the 20 foot sticks used last year. I still have about 20 trees with the old 12mm lag, clip on steps and didnt use any of them last year. Hope to pick up more sticks this off season. To me sticks are way safer and easier to put up. That should keep me putting up stands in my golden years. Now that the season is over I've been taking my stands and stick in. I've never left a stand out all year. Ed

• Sitka Gear