ELKMAN 15-Jan-19
BOWUNTR 16-Jan-19
Zim 18-Jan-19
pav 18-Jan-19
elvspec 18-Jan-19
swampokie 18-Jan-19
IdyllwildArcher 18-Jan-19
14-Jan-19
New Mexico now has a 63$ non refundable license requirement to enter a draw. The 13$ application fee per app is still in place. I don’t mind the license requirement at all as it goes to conservation and receives making federal funds from PR. The 10% outfitter wellfare pool is still in place. NR non guided are still only allocated 6% of the tags. All the LO welfare tags are still in place as well. As a nonresident it is what it is, we get what we get. However it amazes me how much the LO and outfitter welfare takes away from resident opportunity considering how scarce tags are.

Even as it is I don’t see application decreasing.

14-Jan-19
NM resident here. Every thing I read says landowners get approximately 50% of all elk tags. We can only hope our new governor will appoint better commissioners and make equitable distribution of tags.

14-Jan-19
Expensive damn lottery ticket, for sure!

14-Jan-19
Agree that it won't do much to curtail apps. Still a pretty reasonable price.

14-Jan-19
I disagree Brotsky. I am never putting in for NM again and no one else should either. ;) Lets all boycott!

14-Jan-19
It will decrease them at least slightly. I won't be submitting a NM app this year with those nonrefundable fees. Between that and Wyoming's application and credit card fees, I'm looking at $100 in my pocket to not apply. With a baby on the way I was going to be shooting for 1%ish draw odds and dealing with it if I drew. Instead, I'll sit out and save my money. Had things stayed as they were, I'd have applied in both states for sure. Next year I'll be back, though, so you guys had better draw your Gila tags this year!

14-Jan-19
I will be passing on NM elk due to this, unless I get in the outfitter pool. $76 nonrefundable is just not worth a 4% chance for my mid tier unit to me. I apply in 10 states now and spend my money where it has the best value. I have no choice but to stay in the game where I have hostage points first. Been trying to exit as many of these systems ASAP these days. Many have become bad investments.

14-Jan-19
Thanks for the heads-up....first I'd heard of this change. But still, you got to be in it, to win it. With sheep, elk, deer, and exotics to apply for, there's enough bang-for-the-buck IMO. Especially when considering the app cost in other states like CO, WY, MT with their recent point fee hikes. There's still no point fee to pay in NM, and no convenience fee to pay for using a CC, when applying in NM. In that regard, those other states make NM's 65.00 license fee seem like a bargain.

14-Jan-19
As a NM resident until recently, I think NM actually has a good system. Much better than knowing you have to wait 20 years or more for AZ or UT. Everyone has a chance. I would not mind if they added bonus points to increase your odds each unsuccessful year.

14-Jan-19
Everyone has a chance in AZ and UT, too.

NM's only 6% of the tags to DIY NR's sucks.

14-Jan-19
Well at least I know what SOB will get my tag again! ^^^^^ :-)

14-Jan-19
I don't think app's will drop much this year because many applicants will just assume fees will be the same as last year. (And they aren't active on hunting forums such as Bowsite) The real barometer will be 2020 # of applicants once all 2019 applicants figure out how much money they won't be getting back with hunt application.

14-Jan-19
Let's keep this thread going...I'd like to see a lot of seriously pissed off bowhunters this Year! ;^)

14-Jan-19
Can't disagree with ya midwest. Every state has its sellout to guides or landowners. Like Wyoming wilderness hunts.

14-Jan-19
I think there will be a certain percentage of people that won't apply due to the change but don't know that it will be enough to affect draw odds significantly - we'll have to wait and see I guess. Feels like application numbers for coveted tags keeps rising - so unless #'s drop significantly - there isn't a great way to know the true impact. Like a few others have said, while there are certain aspects of the NM draw/system I don't like - I still think they have a better system than many of the Western States....

14-Jan-19
I'll be applying again this year. I was just down in NM with a buddy on his deer hunt and bought a hunting license to chase those scaled quail (running devils). Like Zim though, I am working on reducing my apps, especially in states where draw odds are so low. I'm 0 for 11 I think on elk draws. As much as I'd like to hunt elk in NM, I think I'll save that $ for gas money or license money in a different state starting 2020.

14-Jan-19
I think with this $76 fee you will also see an increase in applicants for the lowest demand units in the state, for third choices. Folks wanting something for their investment, rather than nothing. I’ve never drawn anything in the 6% NR unguided draw pool since they reformed the outfitter welfare quotas, despite picking a low demand unit I know well every year. But now if I we’re applying, I’d be trying some of the absolute lowest demand hunts for third choice.

14-Jan-19
Honestly won't be applying this year. Pretty good chance we will draw our tag in CO so really no point. Can't afford to take the vacation to do two hunts. Really not because of the funds. I pay for preference points with no chance to draw in WY and this is only $25 more.

14-Jan-19
Hell, its been 16 years for me of putting in and spending $160 for non refundable license fee every year for an AZ elk tag , going to AZ for the nonres point and still never have drawn an AZ elk tag....... Save some money and buy a NM landowner tag every year. At least that’s an option in NM which a lot of people take advantage of because the tags always sell within a week or two. Take your wife out to dinner one time less this year .....there’s your $63 . Heck, I can’t change the oil in my diesel pickup truck for under $150 now days.

14-Jan-19
Hang in there jdee unit 9 az will be your in a decade or two. Uve almost got er whooped. Im in az as well but as soon as I can get even a low demand tag im out for good. All these draws are becoming outrageous and im about to trim the fat

14-Jan-19
I was gonna but now I'm not

15-Jan-19
I can see a reduction in the apps for NR that would normally apply even if they had no intention of going but if they drew with the incredibly low NR odds they'd go. That has been me some of the years. If I know that I really can't go that year due to other hunts or commitments I won't apply. It's too much cost upfront for a 6% chance of drawing. This wasn't an issue up until now as I always got my money back. Will have to reconsider now. I can only see this helping NR draw odds but probably not more than 1% in the end.

15-Jan-19
I'm out

16-Jan-19
Not worth the low draw odds for me... just one step above Oregon. I'm out, again... Ed F

18-Jan-19
I expect to pass anyway now. Just saw I have the points to draw the lone NR Oregon Mt. Emily elk tag, which has a long 28 day season overlapping my NM preference. So I can postpone NM decision.

18-Jan-19
Quinn@work - " I can see a reduction in the apps for NR that would normally apply even if they had no intention of going but if they drew with the incredibly low NR odds they'd go.

Exactly right IMO. I pretty much have my 2019 hunts planned out, but typically would have applied for a quality longshot elk tag in NM...because why not? If I drew the tag, I would make the time. If no tag, there was a refund coming. Not any more. Pretty much come to the conclusion, if I want a quality elk tag in NM, it will likely be a landowner tag. Sad...but true.

18-Jan-19
Funny I'm seeing this now. I was actually on the phone this morning with N.M. Game and Fish clarifying the fee thing. Hadn't realized what was going on until I started reading the draw requirements yesterday. When I mentioned to the agent that I would be forfeiting $76 if I didn't draw he said "its not a forfeiture, you will have a small game license in hand". Ha! Guess if I don't draw I'll be making a long distance rabbit hunt!

18-Jan-19
Yep I love how Idaho nm and az always try to cheer u up with the "you have a small game license in hand crap" Im over run with rabbits and squirrels her but not too many elk antelope or barbary sheep. But they know that they will more than offset the drop in apps with the mandatory tax. They r just following the lead of others

18-Jan-19
At least I hunt AZ every year for Coues, so I'd need it anyways. My NV, UT, and ID hunting licenses sit in a file, and soon to be joined by CO and NM now too. I keep saying that one of these days I'm going to tag out early on elk and go hunt ID OTC...

• Sitka Gear