t-roy 15-Jan-19
Huntcell 15-Jan-19
MTNRCHR 16-Jan-19
JW 16-Jan-19
Busta'Ribs 16-Jan-19
archerybs 16-Jan-19
ELKMAN 16-Jan-19
15-Jan-19
I recently pulled the trigger on a cougar hunt. Looking for gear suggestions from those who have been there done that.

Already have a pretty good inventory of First Lite and Kuiu gear ( base layers and outerwear) What boots are everyone using? I’ve been looking at Schnees pack boots. Also already have Kuiu Yukon gaiters. Are trekking poles a good idea?

Fire away with any tips you guys have, I’m all ears! Thanks.

15-Jan-19
Extra pair of socks in your pack...wet cold feet of stuck out overnight sucks

15-Jan-19
Kuiu outer,First lite merino long Johns, Schnees with Airbob soles. Bring extra layers and you should be good to go.

15-Jan-19
Gaiters. Walking sticks.

15-Jan-19
I have only been on one lion hunt but I would certainly recommend mountain boots. I have Zamberlan and Hanwag and would recommend either - just make sure they fit you right! Good luck!!

15-Jan-19
I would say mountain boots as well. A lion hunt can turn into a lot of walking and pack boots would make that not fun in my opinion. I used Meindl Denalis but any brand that fits you well should be fine. Trekking poles would be a benefit as well.

15-Jan-19
I agree on the mountain boots, also as Mule Power said - gaiters and walking sticks.

15-Jan-19
I agree with the consensus. I've been on a few cat hunts and could never wear Schnee Packs. I know plenty of guys do, but I want a mountain boot with a Gaiter.

For clothing, the key is layers. Looks like you have that covered. Walking sticks are nice for slippery slopes. I'll take Shugs recommendation one step further and say I always carry an extra tee shirt. I get soaked with sweat and a dry tee is heaven when stationary.

15-Jan-19
I hunt lions every day it snows I would bring good boots, I wear Hoffman’s snow packs my budy wears kenetrx boots of some sort, wool pants with gators. I bring extra gloves and shirt in my pack , After long hikes to the tree you are sweaty and can get cold if you don’t change into something dry. A platypus bladder for water is pretty nice. Also no cotton it doesn’t dry fast enough.

15-Jan-19
I agree 100% on the extra clothes. Keep an extra pair of socks and base layer/shirt in your pack. Also agree on a mountain boot, but whatever you take, bring at least TWO pair. They will get wet, either from snow or sweat. Alternate wearing them every other day so you have at least one semi-dry pair each day.

15-Jan-19
Boot dryer that can be plugged into 110V or 12V would be handy

15-Jan-19
I have the Schnees pack boots and would not recommend them for lion hunting. Like said above, mountain boots with gaiters. I've been on quite a few lion hunts and the extra clothes recommendation is spot on. I also like a pack I can strap my bow to, especially on uphill climbs. It's nice to be able to use both hands to help pull yourself up. On downhills, keep the bow in hand so you don't fall on it.

15-Jan-19
For those using mountain boots, how much insulation do you use. Outfitter logs a ton of miles before daybreak on quads and sleds. I have Meindl Denalis and Crispi Summits but I’m sure my feet would freeze in those if I was stationary for a while. Recommendations?

15-Jan-19
400 grams is what I used...Lowa Evo Extremes

15-Jan-19
If you are going to sled or quad I wear water proof coon hunting bibs that zip on and off over my snow packs and wool pants. pretty nice to be dry after logging in all the miles before day break

15-Jan-19
If you are chasing cats and dogs on foot you will be down to your underwear in no time. Better wear clothing that you can take off and put on without any hassle.

15-Jan-19
Still camera and video camera and Don’t forget game bag for the meat.

15-Jan-19
If I’m running sleds or wheelers I wear zip off insulated pants. Normal stiff mountain boots, and boot blankets.

15-Jan-19
Will this be a dry land hunt or in snow? Some equipment may vary.

15-Jan-19
PM sent

15-Jan-19
Fire starter kit. Hydration Snacks Gaiters Hiking poles Extra head lamp batteries A VERY good insulated over jacket to keep you warm once your hike to the tree is over.

Some of these of course for a winter snow hunt.

Have a blast!

15-Jan-19
A good pair of sunglasses, especially if hunting on snow.

15-Jan-19
A good description of your permited hunting unit and good map and ability to detrimine your location public versus private . Major pain shooting a record book lion and not be able to keep it.

16-Jan-19
I like to have a pair of kahtoola micro spikes in my pack to throw on when the snow is slippery (climb / decent)

16-Jan-19
Thanks guys. Exactly the stuff I’m wondering about.

16-Jan-19
X2 on the Micro Spike’s, just in case it’s icy and get some boot blankets if you’re gonna be spending long hours on the sled in cold temps. Also, some good warm mitts for the sled time as well. But talk to your outfitter, he’s gonna be the best guy to tell you what you’ll need. I’ve been on a couple Mountan Lion hunts in two Canadian provinces and after 16 days hunting them, I can tell you, it’s an awesome experience but the majority of my time was spent sitting in the front seat of a pick up truck, so, at least for me, gear choice was not as critical as on other hunts.

16-Jan-19
Good advice Huntcell. Unfortunately it a few years too late for some folks. Lol

16-Jan-19
Large cut diameter mechanical broad head.

• Sitka Gear