BOHNTR 16-Jan-19
StickFlicker 16-Jan-19
Zbone 16-Jan-19
CSAL 16-Jan-19
Nick Muche 16-Jan-19
CSAL 16-Jan-19
Zbone 16-Jan-19
16-Jan-19
Was looking at Whitetail score sheet, and kinda have a stupid question for you scorers... I understand there is only 4 main beam circumference measurements from G-1 - G4s, although it may be extremely rare on a typical frame, say a 8x8 typical or more, would the G-8s (or more) be scorable, or G-7 is max and any typical points after would be scored as nontypical points?

16-Jan-19
A typical point is a typical point. It could be 10 points on each side. True 7x7's are rare and 8x8's I don't know if there is one that has been measured. Shawn

16-Jan-19
I understand the rarity as said in the first post, (learned long time ago, never say never with whitetails), but if it is a typical 8x8, where do you apply the typical 8th point on the sheet?

16-Jan-19
You would have to get creative I guess.

20+ years of scoring and I have never laid my eyes on one, but I am sure someone, somewhere has.

16-Jan-19
Again, I'm not an official measurer, but the score sheet is really a guideline. It is a simple form that covers most cases, that can be added to with notes/etc. Look at the form on the other thread. He split the left side abnormals column down the middle so there was space for more abnormal points to be added. The form itself isn't the end-all for scoring.

16-Jan-19
My father shot a typical 8x8 in the U.P of Michigan is the sixties. I remember him coming home that evening with the beast tied across the trunk of a 59 belair. What a deer! He had the skull cap with antlers around the house for years, but I dont know what ever happened to it.

16-Jan-19
Franzen - I see that now, I think you answered my question, thanks,,, much obliged...

xtroutx - Imagine that was a cool looking buck...

16-Jan-19
Okay, now have another couple scoring question since loprofile has brought up on the other thread:

"Circumferences are taken at the narrowest place as detailed"... "If the G-4 point is missing, take H-4 halfway between the G-3 point and the tip of the main beam"

Okay, say there is a massive 3x3, (there are some 6-points that score in the 140s), if the G-3 is missing, do you take circumferences measurement halfway between the G-2 point and the tip of the main beam, and add it twice?

16-Jan-19
Zbone,

In your original post, a whitetail can have an infinite number of normal points, as long as they all come off the top of the main beam. A mule deer can never have more than four normal points per side. As for as your last post regarding missing points and whether you would take the circumference twice at the same spot (halfway between the last normal point and the beam tip), yes that is what you do.

16-Jan-19
Way cool guys, thanks for helping me understand…

Last question - StickFlicker am sure you can help me out with this…

Back to a big 3x… How about a massive 3x4 typical… Do you measure it as a 3x3 and deduct the extra point as abnormal, then take the circumference twice at the same spot halfway between the last normal point and the beam tip? I assume that is how it’s done, and if so what if that extra abnormal point is in the way of the halfway mark… Then what?

16-Jan-19
ZBone:

I recall measuring an 7x8 whitetail at my first P&Y Panel. The way that the G8 is generally documented is on a second scoresheet. The only area filled out on the second scoresheet is the hunter information, 'Page 2' written at top of the page, and the respective measurement (in your example G8) would be documented in the G7 slot and 'G7" would be crossed out and 'G8' would be written. We had to remember to ADD page two for the correct totals (for that side and difference).....in the 'Remarks' section, the above would be noted. This is also common when documenting non-typical deer that exceed the amount of spaces on page one for abnormal points. (Ex-20x20). Hope it helps.

16-Jan-19
ohiohunter is correct. It is not treated as an abnormal point. You'd add the extra point as a normal point on the one side, but it would effectively be subtracted back out since it isn't matched on the other side (having the effect of just removing the extra point from the score as if it had never existed). The circumference would be taken between each normal point (including between the 3rd and 4th on the side with the extra point) on the side that had 4 points, and it would be taken halfway between the last normal point and the tip on the other side.

Two interesting things to note about mass measurements. Mass can only be taken between normal points, the existence of an abnormal point will not change those locations. Also, if that 4th normal point was broken off (and less than an inch remained), or a 4th normal point tried to grow but never reached one inch, the circumference would still be taken between the 3rd and what would have been the 4th point, even though this short "point" will not be counted as a measurable point.

16-Jan-19
You guys are good, thanks much for the education...

16-Jan-19

CSAL's embedded Photo
CSAL's embedded Photo
Not my buck it was shot near where I hunted. Just happened to run into these guys and started talking hunting and guy asked if we wanted to see the buck he just shot.

16-Jan-19
Chewed on or freshly broken?

16-Jan-19
He had shot it earlier that day and it looked freshly broken. Not sure if it was broken when he shot it or if it broke when it went down. Which actually makes me wonder. And I'm not remotely saying these guys did this.. but if you shot a big typical like world record type typical but it had a nontypical point or 2 lowering its net score could you break them off and not worry about a deduction?

16-Jan-19
I could see a small eighth point coming off that type of rack...

• Sitka Gear