Shiras42 28-Jan-19
17-Jan-19

HUNT MAN's embedded Photo
HUNT MAN's embedded Photo
How is this deer still alive?

17-Jan-19
Photoshop

17-Jan-19
I’ll go ahead and start it. Rage in the cage!!!

17-Jan-19

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
Another pic

17-Jan-19
Looks real to me.

17-Jan-19
Winter is coming! Beware the white walkers.

17-Jan-19
Auto accident?

17-Jan-19
Zombie deer!

17-Jan-19
Well, if real, I’d have to suspect an abcess that organized into a sinus tract (or two)

17-Jan-19
Wow, amazing to think he lived beyond an hour...

17-Jan-19
Post said you could see right through the deer....I dont buy it. I vote not possible.

17-Jan-19
Must have been attacked by a Golden Eagle.

17-Jan-19
They are tougher than we are.

17-Jan-19
I am pretty sure it was pretty important to the deer

17-Jan-19
i had a doe in that same condition walk up to my tree i was in. had a hole all the way through her that size. she laid down and when i climbed down to go in for the morning she just laid there and looked at me. i walked up close to her, like a foot away, and looked in the hole and it looked like gang green had set in and it was all dry inside of her like a dried scab. i came back a few hours later and she was where she laid dead.

18-Jan-19
KB why would you walk away and not shoot her?? I don't get it, end her suffering asap!!!! Shawn

18-Jan-19
"The Void"... haha

18-Jan-19

woodguy65's embedded Photo
Not as bad as the OP deer - but this buck is on my farm and trail cam pics from this year. He has an old wound that has healed - he is missing a sizeable chunk out of his back and just above his spine, prolly from a 12 gauge slug. Tough critters for sure.

18-Jan-19

18-Jan-19

18-Jan-19
shawn, did not want to burn my last either sex archery tag, nature works just fine.

18-Jan-19
I’m sure if you called a warden he would have given you the ok to shoot. You should be ashamed.

18-Jan-19
Good grief hunting seasons are definitely over. SO much we don't know about this........was it even an arrow/bullet wound? What was the shot angle? Was it from fighting? Hit by a car? Another "void" or "no man's land" misunderstanding cuz there isn't such a thing. Guys getting called out for not putting the deer out of it's misery when they clearly had no idea the health or condition of the animal other than from a picture. And it's an old pic!!! Wow..........is the AT?

18-Jan-19
OFFHUNTN we were talking about KYbowhunter.

18-Jan-19
Cool pic HUNT. Looks like it could be over the spine. Always interesting to see those kinds of things.

18-Jan-19
" Looks like it could be over the spine."

I might abree with you if you mean that you think the hit came across too high.

My best guess is that the shot was taken from the far side of the deer and went high, skimming a chunk of meat off the straps. Blades parallel to the ground, so no entry into the chest cavity; 90 degrees of rotation on the arrow would have opened up a gash that would have let in a lot of air and collapsed the lung(s).

Lottery-ticket odds for sure.

On a phone, it looks like a gaping hole with daylight coming through, and there just ain't no way; the really dark area has to be scabbed over/dried out meat.

18-Jan-19
could be some white in the wound, not necessarily a through hole. Possibly rib, or infection?

18-Jan-19
Sorry not burning a tag, that is a terrible excuse why burn a tag. Leave her lay!!! . Just end the suffering. Than Nature will take over. So ya hit one with a car and she runs off and lays down in a field? Do ya leave her lay, no you go and kill her, hell cut her throat but nothing should suffer. WTF is wrong with people?? Shawn

18-Jan-19
Not possible to have a hole thru rib cage that big and live. the diaphragm and lungs work on a vacuum basic. With a hole that big lungs could not expand to get air the deer would have been dead in minutes

18-Jan-19
Shawn - I think you’re overlooking the fact that you have unlimited tags. And that there are no wanton waste laws in this state. We can dispatch a cripple without a care in the world. Other people have to report it, tag it, get a CO to issue a replacement....

It’s a whole bigger deal when you can be prosecuted - and enthusiastically - just for doing what seems to be pretty obviously the Right Thing.

Not saying you’re somehow wrong to feel compelled to put an animal out of its misery, but maybe not come down quite so hard on guys who live in a very different reality than yours.

The whole world isn’t so black & white as it seems.

18-Jan-19
^ I agree

18-Jan-19
It is possible. I do agree with the lung pressures would have caused at least one pneumo thorax. I have taken care of patients in the ER that had large holes in them that wouldn't close due to the hole being too big combined with tissue necrosis and it drying out. One guy blew a hole in his foot with a 12 gauge and it never closed. Several years later he would come in once in a while for IV antibiotics because it would get infected. You could look down in the hole and see steel pellets in there with his tendons and bones.

19-Jan-19

Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo
This one showed up at my backyard feeder the other day... Never seen him before January 15th...

19-Jan-19

Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo
I feel sorry for the guy, it's tough to watch him try to get around... Back leg left is broke and just dangles and looks like shot by slug... If that's the case, likely shot first week of December, and how he is still carrying his rack amazes me...

19-Jan-19
If the entry hole is on the top of the deer ( a bowhunter in an elevated stand could have shot high and over the spine), this could be the exit hole, and the entrance hole is not visible, because of camera angle. I don't think that the photo shows a hole going completely through the deer....maybe the light colored spot is part of an arrow broken off in the body?

19-Jan-19
What’s wrong with people. I wonder that about you all the time Shawn. LOL. I would of put the deer down also. LA the Bowhunter really really really

19-Jan-19
Sometimes you just do what you gotta do......and you don't publicize it. YOU know you did the right thing, and that's what matters.

19-Jan-19

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
Avoid the void.

19-Jan-19
WW x 2

19-Jan-19

Super Slam's embedded Photo
Super Slam's embedded Photo

19-Jan-19
There is so much that a photo DOESN'T reveal, so viewers are left with rampant speculation. It looks to me as though a part of an arrow was still in the wound, which was too high to cause immediate death. However the deer eventually died of the effects. Precisely why I posted on a recent thread against scoring for P&Y for a deer found weeks after being shot by a bowhunter. If the buck in the photo on this thread eventually died of the wound, can it be said that the bowhunter "killed" it?

GF also said a mouthful.....we don't know the rules and regs of another state and can only operate on our own conscience in a given situation. I read recently of a fellow who was cited by a CO for helping a young buck that had fallen through ice and was dying of hypothermia. He took the nearly dead deer into his garage in an attempt to help it survive, but it died anyway. The CO cited him for keeping a state-owned wild animal under confinement. I hope it gets thrown out, but this goes to show that doing the "right thing" is not always in alignment with the game regs. Please exit "high horse"....

19-Jan-19
I always wondered since the deer are state property and the deer cause damage to my cattle fences why can't I just shoot them? If I trespass on state property and cause damage they arrest me.

19-Jan-19
Mk111-Because they make the rules.

19-Jan-19
The older I get, the less I trust the veracity of any photo unless I took it myself.

But of course that one of the surfer with the giant shark inside the wave right behind him HAS to be real!

19-Jan-19
Rage in the cafe baby!!

20-Jan-19
Is that what they meant by..."Like an ax going through a deer!"

Of course, that was never an accurate statement, because an ax is a fixed blade.......

23-Jan-19
That is crazy.

23-Jan-19
I believe it is certainly possible. But I wouldn't think he would last long.

A few years back I had a buck in my garden with a similar wound (although you couldn't see thru it!) , a little further forward. To make matters worse, in my mind anyway, there was a magpie that would sit on his back and occasionally peck at the wound. As soon as I went outside he left, and the magpie followed. I probably wouldn't have believed it if I didn't see it.

It can be a cruel world.

25-Jan-19
I agree with Shawn. How could someone simply walk away from a suffering animal knowing they could have done something to put it out of its misery? Some things are more important than your tag situation. Do the right thing and call the game warden.

25-Jan-19

happygolucky's embedded Photo
happygolucky's embedded Photo
I killed this buck years ago when it came it with that arrow in its neck. It came in hunched over and drooling. I would not have shot it normally but was going to put another arrow in it no matter what. I did not get a good shot but took it and it was a marginal hit. The buck walked 20 yards like it was not even hit and just fell over. I would burn a tag on an injured deer every time.

I later learned the deer was hit 25 days earlier by a neighbor woman who said she "hit it high." The deer suffered for weeks. I had to cut that arrow out of its neck. FTR, the meat was terrible and I ended up tossing it. Also to note, this was an out of state tag (MI) and I only had 1 buck tag.

26-Jan-19
Man the stuff guys post and talk about for the world to see...

26-Jan-19
You guys saying shoot the wounded deer and tag it crack me up. How many of you burn a buck tag in Iowa on primo property on a wounded dinker buck? It sure is easy making these ethics decisions from the comfort of your couch.

I'm not burning my tag because some slob hunter made a terrible shot on a deer. Truth be told...neither are most of you.

27-Jan-19
If that photo is not only real, but the white is light on the other side of the deer and not something white in the hole, then

a) there's no way that it's above the spine if the white is light from the other side. On a dead deer, if you push down on the top of the deer, you can feel the spinous processes through the coat. There's no way that hole is above the spine, if it is a hole.

b) there's no way that was made by an arrow. Arrows cut and cuts close. That wound has shotgun slug written all over it. And that's if it's a hole. There's snow all over the deer. It's probably just a chunk of snow and who knows what made the mark - it could have been a car injury, falling tree, sparring injury, bite, etc.

27-Jan-19
So much for the idea of having some respect for the animals we hunt... Bowfreak, as others have said, I am sure if you put a call in to the game warden informing them of the situation they would take that into consideration. What if a non-hunter stumbles upon the animal instead? It makes us all look like slobs.

27-Jan-19
Bowfreak-right on. Deer don’t think like humans and hunters should know that. A high percentage of “I put it out of its misery” was a guy that wanted to kill something. I know a guy that killed a giant one year with a broken leg. He didn’t have to tell people he put it out of it’s misery. Only small bucks and does are put out of their misery. I had a buck come by me with his eye hanging on his cheek. A human would have been in misery, he was chasing a doe. Another buck came by in 2001 with an arrow stuck in his neck busted off about an inch above the hair. That was one of those great quartering toward shots you here so much about on bowsite. He survived the misery and was 190 inches two years later. When killed in 2004 he still had the broadhead (two blade delta) in but was not in any misery. The deer that started this thread is shot just below the spine and would be dead if there is indeed a open hole going all the way through. A broadhead does not leave an open wound like that.

27-Jan-19
I'm burning a tag on any wounded deer just like I did on the dink buck above. Don't we all talk as hunters about making clean killing shots to dispatch the animal as quickly as possible? Why do we talk like that and then in the next breath say - it's just a deer; it'll be fine.

27-Jan-19
For those saying it'd just take a call to the CO, you're taking your own situation and experiences into consideration. In CA, if you shot a wounded animal without a tag to "put it out of it's misery," and then called the CO, you'd get ticketed and your bow/hunting license/tags confiscated.

27-Jan-19
Just because their are laws does not mean they are just in every situation. I don’t care if I had no doe tag if I see a doe suffering I’m shooting it. I will worry about dealing with the outcome later.

27-Jan-19
“What if a non-hunter stumbles upon the animal instead? It makes us all look like slobs.”

It makes us all look like slobs if it is wounded and suffering, and makes us look even WORSE if it is dead and left to rot.

There are some circumstances under which you can go to jail with a clean conscience or you can walk away completely blameless in the eyes of The Law and maybe never look yourself square in the eye again.

In CT, we have it easy. No doubt about what to do, which is why Shawn (who hunts here a lot, as I recall) has no question in his mind as to what is The Right Thing To Do.

If I were 2000 miles from home with limited time to hunt and a $500 tag in my pocket, I would be more likely to think long and hard about my options for not making that animal into My Problem.

28-Jan-19
GF wrong Shawn. One is from NY and the other CT.

28-Jan-19
I am like bowfreak and 1boonr. What makes you the one to say that the animal is in misery and that it will or will not live? Don't anthropomorphize these animals. They are not humans. They will fight to survive and some may and some may not.

• Sitka Gear