Al Dente Laptop 22-Apr-23
Woods Walker 22-Apr-23
Zbone 23-Apr-23
Woods Walker 23-Apr-23
Zbone 23-Apr-23
TonyBear 23-Apr-23
Shamshoo 01-May-23
18-Jan-19
Who likes this mag? Never taken it but have a good introductory offer. Worth it?

18-Jan-19
Like many magazines, If you enjoy looking at ads and articles on the same old topics.......but it’s only like $10 or so.........I get enough magazines already so dropped this one long ago.

18-Jan-19
I got it for many, many decades, and then about 8 years ago I let it go. Like CPA says it was the same stuff over and over again, and I also realized that I wasn't learning anything new in regards to how I hunt. That, and the magazine's content had evolved to where if could have been called, "Deer and Deer Farming".

18-Jan-19
Like many of you who visit here, I dropped most magazines. Still get Bear Hunting magazine. It is strictly bear hunting . I don't post much at all here but do read this everyday. Like any forum, some know what they are talking about and some really dont. Like sitting around talking to your hunting buddy's ,some think they know and some are successful.

If more guys would write up trip reports as well as Paul@thefort does , then why pay to read some magazine articles. Wealth of bow tuning and other great info here.

18-Jan-19
Actually like the TV show better than the magazine but the magazine is still good. Lots of good info especially from Steve Bartylla. TV show along with Land of Whitetail and Destination Whitetail are the only ones I watch on any of the outdoor channels anymore.

18-Jan-19
Used to, don't any more. The only mags I subscribe to any more are Bowhunter, Guns & Ammo, and Handguns. The deer hunting articles are just rehashes from years ago. If we have any breakthroughs in deer hunting maybe Bowriter will come back and tell us about them. :-)

18-Jan-19
I still like getting magazines in the mail. Some, like Fur-Fish-Game, have a wealth of information. Others, like Bowhunting World, are free and contain some good articles. Bowhunter Magazine is also another favorite. I like the forums too, but still love getting a magazine in the mail. American Waterfowler is another good one, as is Trapper and Predator Caller. For less than 20 bucks a year, I think they are worth it.

18-Jan-19
It's a good whitetail magazine.

18-Jan-19
I like Big Buck Magazine out of Canada.... and Bear Hunting mag.

18-Jan-19
Worth reading

18-Jan-19
Big Buck Magazine is the only one I’m interested in because it’s Canadian stories, so I find it more relevant to myself. Past that I get what I need from internet articles and bowsite and friends.

18-Jan-19
I remember when it started out as Stump Sitters,,,, those were better days,,,,now its all about deer farming, food plots, leases, bla bla bla,,,,,,, nothing stays the same,,,, I find it boring,,,,, but Steve Bartayalla writes good articles, but again, for him its a business

Very little information on the DIY type hunting,,, and I have private land in SW Wis, so their articles get old,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

18-Jan-19
What's a magazine?

18-Jan-19
North American Whitetail is better imo. I am getting sick of reading articles with xbows in them though. I usually skip those if I know

18-Jan-19
Unfortunately like most of these hunting forums the mags are going the way of the dinosaur . I used to get Turkey and Turkey Hunting mag but it was getting stale too kinda like some are saying this d and d hunting is then it went out of business no doubt the same thing is happening with d&d. They tried to get us die hard turkey hunters to switch to the deer mag but most even cancelled the d & d after that and moved on lol

18-Jan-19
"how to fool a buck's nose" x 100. Gets old after the 99th time. Paul

19-Jan-19
I gave up on them about 25 years ago when they ran an article called “The Bunker Buck”. It was a completely fabricated story about an elusive buck that the writer claimed he hunted for years but it would diappear throughout the season. After several years he discovered it would live underground to avoid hunters. In actual fact the buck lived in a high fence enclosure that contained an underground stable that was built into the side of a hill by settlers around the turn of the century when Saskatchewn was a new province. The whole deer herd lived in it; cool in summer and warm in winter. The author had lots of photos of “the bunker buck’ going in and out of it and dreamed up a fictional story he sold to the magazine. I still cant believe the editor bought it and published it. I know for a fact it was all BS because the pen was not far from where I lived. I met the manager and he took me in there for a tour. I pretty much hand fed some old dinner buns to the buck the manager brought along and went inside his “bunker” to check it out. The manager told me a well known outdoor writer/ photographer went in there often to photograph the deer. Had to laugh at the editor’s gullibility when the feature artticle appeared a while later. Maybe he knew it was BS which would be worse than just being dumb.

19-Jan-19
I was a "Stump Sitter" back in the day, but haven't read or even seen the magazine in years...

19-Jan-19
Ogoki, I feel the same way about Bear Hunting Magazine. They do a great job and it's the only one I keep renewing.

19-Jan-19
I subscribed for many years...a long time ago. Then deer hunting started becoming nothing but marketing. All the ads for gadgets...couldn't stand opening the cover. And that was back in the late 90s and before crossbow ads slithered in. The only mag I now subscribe to is Traditional Bowhunter.

19-Jan-19
Interesting. I used to get several but canceled all of them several years ago, when I found this site. I would rather read the adventures of the ppl here. Paul@ thefort, Kevin Dill, jaq, bigdan, and many more. Especially, like the ones from blacktail bob’s place in Alaska. And the sheep reads are the best. And learned a helluva lot, too.

Keepem’ coming!!

19-Jan-19
Interesting. I used to get several but canceled all of them several years ago, when I found this site. I would rather read the adventures of the ppl here. Paul@ thefort, Kevin Dill, jaq, bigdan, and many more. Especially, like the ones from blacktail bob’s place in Alaska. And the sheep reads are the best. And learned a helluva lot, too.

Keepem’ coming!!

19-Jan-19
Back in the day, ie, Winter of 1970, and prior to me working on my Master's degee at Northern Mich U in the UP of Michigan, I was hired by the Michigan DOW to help on a deer research project at the Cusno Wildlife Research Station in the central part of the UP and just a few miles south of Lake Superior. John Ozoga was a DOW biologist who I worked with on that winter, deer yards, project. After retirement, John was recruted by Deer and Deer Hunting Magazine and was the writer who wrote the Deer Research section for many years. Lots of his deer research and papers were formulated on the job for the Michigan DOW. Good guy with a lot of knowledge of the white tail deer. my best, Paul

20-Jan-19
Took it years ago, but quit when gadgets, crossbows and food plots took over, much like what's been said, and the way of most outdoor publications.

20-Jan-19
John Ozoga is the only thing that is any good with that magazine.... I like Russ Mason, and told him, to listen to Ozoga.....

20-Jan-19
I dropped my subscriptions to NAW and D&DH years ago when it was clear that their focus was becoming mainly food plots and crossbows. (And other technology.) With a trip to the midwest thrown in.

20-Apr-23
"The deer hunting articles are just rehashes from years ago. "

I had a subscription until I discovered that everything to be learned about Deer and Deer Hunting was covered in three years. After that it does repeat.

Fur, Fish, Game is probably the best for diverse and interesting articles on outdoor activities. I liked their Lew and Charlie story series, but have exhausted them and that era of adventure, pre tech gadgets. Their wholesome character and clever solutions are inspirational.

20-Apr-23
Read it decades ago. Then it got all about high-tech gear and ad $$. I was no longer 'the demographic'.

20-Apr-23
I keep several magazine subscriptions going and give the old copies to kids. Hopefully it sparks some interest somewhere. If not they can trash them.

The content is cyclic, can only find so many original topics before you run out, but still need to fill the pages. D&DH was a decent but one I let go.

20-Apr-23
The only outdoor "magazine" of the many I had subscribed to for years which I truly miss is Gray's Sporting Journal. Their content was closer to "literature" that any of the other magazines combined. I still have ALL the ones I received over the years.

21-Apr-23
I second 2Wild Bill on Fur-Fish-Game magazine. It's a great overall outdoor publication. It covers all types of hunting, trapping, and fishing topics. Also topics like fur tanning and making fur garments.

21-Apr-23
I third 2Wild Bill on Fur-Fish-Game magazine. Also the Lew & charlie stories (The first thing I read immediately upon receiving the magazine each month). The articles are varied & informative without being one big advertisement. A lot of the articles are written by readers of the magazine along with the regular contributors. I'm 63 years old & it hasn't changed much since I was a boy. I like that!

That being said Deer & Deer hunting magazine was the first to go when I started weeding out subscriptions I was receiving. Every article was one big ad!

I quit Petersen's Bowhunting after Jim Dougherty's passing. After that there wasn't much left for me in that magazine either. If more magazines encouraged writing like his they'd really have something. He wrote like you were sitting with him in front of the fire after a good day afield sipping a fine beverage! He was one of the best if not THE best! I know his son visits here occasionally & I'd just like to say I didn't know your dad (Though he made me feel like I did) but I sure do miss him.

I encourage everyone to get Best of Trail's End by Jim Dougherty!

21-Apr-23
I dropped it several years ago. Didn’t like the direction it was going

22-Apr-23
I love the pictures of a food plot and the deer bedding with an X in between for your stand placement lol. I agree Fur Fish & Game is the best.

22-Apr-23
I agree with the above sentiments. It became more of an advertisement journal than an informative magazine. I understand that any enterprise needs to generate revenue, and advertising is the mainstay for magazines, but it became overwhelmingly their objective. You would need a caravan to carry all of the "necessary" gear in with you, and would need to get to your stand 3 hours before daylight just to set all of that useless crap up and get situated.

22-Apr-23
You're right on that Al. And what you said made me realize that when I started shifting from stand hunting to stillhunt/stalk, is when my interest in D&DH began to wane.

"Go light" is now first and foremost! The less stuff I have to haul around the better, and it only took me 35+ years to figure that out! ;-)

23-Apr-23
I still subscribe to Fur-Fish-Game.... If anything just for the covers all of which are paintings.... Cool Dall Sheep ram on the latest cover...

23-Apr-23
FF&G was the first outdoor mag I subscribed to when I was in my early teens and had begun trapping. Lots of good info in it, and I still remember the S. Stanley Hawbaker ads!

23-Apr-23

Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo
8^)

23-Apr-23
The Primitive archer, Traditional Bowhunter are pretty good for the stories ,even if you shoot some much higher tech stuff.

01-May-23
Sorry for bumping into an old conversation. I've never personally read Deer and Deer Hunting magazine, as I read the best literary magazines, but I've heard good things about it from friends who are into hunting. If you're interested in hunting and want to learn more about deer behavior, hunting techniques, and gear, it could be a great resource. And if you get a good introductory offer, that's even better!

• Sitka Gear