Iowabowhunter 22-Jan-19
12yards 23-Jan-19
Iowabowhunter 23-Jan-19
Iowabowhunter 23-Jan-19
Heritage 25-Jan-19
Matt 25-Jan-19
21-Jan-19
Not a rage fan (due to the collars)

Have shot Killzones but am afraid there's not enough oomph with the RX1 Ultra I'm shooting now.

525 grain Axis in a 65#RX1 Ultra at 29 1/16 draw.

Love my fixed blade Slick Tricks, thinking about a mech tho.

Which ones should I be looking at for my specs? I'll be hunting whitetail, pronghorn, Turkey and muleys. Elk would get the Ironwill's.

Thanks

21-Jan-19
Shoot what you like, but Rage did just release a new collar-less head at the ATA show. Could be the answer to your issue with them.

21-Jan-19
I'm not quite sure I have the energy in my setup for a 2" rear deploying head.

21-Jan-19
After being somewhat of a Rage basher for a number of years, I decided to try the Hypodermics. Nothing but pleased. Six deer in the last two years, blood trails are incredible, deer down within 50 yards. No issues with the collars at all. They are in my quiver along side my Vipertricks.

21-Jan-19
I love the Rocket Steelheads. Great penetration and have had nothing but good luck with them. Solid mechanical choice if penetration is a concern.

21-Jan-19
Since you've used Slick Trick heads before, I'd recommend keeping it simple and using the standard 100's. I've had no problem punching two holes in elk and deer with my 62lb setup and a bleak 26.5" draw length.

21-Jan-19

HUNT MAN's embedded Photo
HUNT MAN's embedded Photo
I have been shooting 64-65 pounds and a 29 inch draw. I have had good luck with Rage, rockets and Vortex heads . Never a problem for me with penetration and I like short heavy blood trails!

21-Jan-19
I’ve been at 63# for the last decade and am still getting pass throughs with almost any head I shoot. This year I shot the NAP Doublecross with great results.

Your set up has enough KE at 65# for any head you want to shoot

21-Jan-19
Check out the deadmeats by G5. Had really good results with them this year. They have a clip that locks the blades in place

21-Jan-19
I started shooting the Rage Hypodermic +P 125 grain 2 years ago. If you like short, prolific bloodtrails, try them. I did have one failure due to the BH this past Fall though which was quite disappointing but I'm still a fan for the type of critters you mentioned. As others have said, you have plenty of KE to shoot through the animals you mentioned unless you encounter the shoulders.

21-Jan-19
You would have no problem with Rage Trypans and your setup on whitetails. I've shot 3 whitey's with them the last two years with a 60 lb. bow and 410 gr. arrow. All pass throughs and dead in sight. They are an awesome, high quality mech.

21-Jan-19
Vortex, Rage and Nap Spitfires will all put your deer down in short order.

21-Jan-19
My compound setup is almost identical to yours. I used a SEVR head (designed by Randy Ulmer and made by Easton, I think) to take a whitetail buck this year. Great performance from the head. I wish I had more data on this head but it was the only mechanical that I shot this year.

21-Jan-19
Guess I haven't given the rage's a fair shot, like the looks of the Hypo +P. Killzone's were all i'd used in the past for whitetails, but have found they have gotten more and more stiff as the years go on, requiring a huge amount of energy to open. Could look at the killzone low ke I suppose, just not being able to handle them makes it tough.

I shot a pronghorn with the original Ulmer Edge, wish I had about 5 dozen more of those heads as I really liked how they flew and were just devastating on my pronghorn buck.

Anybody have much luck with the Rage Hypo +P? I know it has the collars, but would imagine rage in the next few years will come out with the "no collar" version of a Plus P.

I'd been a fixed head guy my whole life, and will still have Slick Tricks in my quiver-just like experimenting I guess, always looking for a better mousetrap.

21-Jan-19
Never hunted out of the state of Iowa so my experience is only on whitetails but I love the NAP Spitfire. I shoot my Mathews Z7 Xtreme around 63 pounds with 28" draw. In the last 4 years I've only had 1 deer I didn't get a complete pass through on and that was a hard quartering away shot that got the liver and ended in the other lung. I've also experimented with the Spitfire MAXX and taken deer with them too. Haven't bent a blade or ruined a head yet.

21-Jan-19
I kill elk with a 60# 425 gr 1-1/2” over the top expandable. Put it where it belongs and you’ll be fine.

21-Jan-19
"I started shooting the Rage Hypodermic +P 125 grain 2 years ago. If you like short, prolific bloodtrails, try them. I did have one failure due to the BH this past Fall though which was quite disappointing" The Rage failed?

21-Jan-19
Nap spitfire MAXX, Edge and standard have all served me well over the last 5 years shooting similar size animals you describe.

21-Jan-19
I myself hate mechanicals but if I had to choose one it would be the Grim Reaper. I have several friends who shoot them and they have great success. Like any mechanical stay off the shoulder and shoot over 60#s with a fairly heavy arrow and they do fine. Shawn

21-Jan-19
Have shot 5 deer using rage hypo with 2 in cut with my elite energy 32. 57 lbs- 29.5 draw and 400 grain arrow. Pass through on all. A friends wife shot a nice buck shooting 48 lbs with a hypo 2 in cut. Got complete pass through. Not what I would use but definitely worked. You have more than enough energy. Nothing wrong with slick Tricks. Use what you have confidence in! Greg

21-Jan-19
Grim Reaper Razortips have worked well for me, as have the Fatal Steels. My bow is set at 60lbs.

21-Jan-19
I shoot 65# at 29" draw length and have been using NAP Spitfire's for many years, killing everything from coyotes to moose. Arrows have been between 425 to 485 grains.

That's with a Mathews though, probably don't want to try it with a Hoyt :-)

21-Jan-19
Screw on a Wasp Jak Hammer and don't look back. You will love the short prolific blood trails.

21-Jan-19
Grim Reaper Razor Tips are my go to for the last 8ish years. Dad, brother and best friend shoot them all as well. Between us all id say we've shot 100 whitetail with them and have been nothing but pleased. This year I shot 3 whitetail with them out of a 70lb bow with a 408gr arrow.

22-Jan-19

Scrappy's embedded Photo
Scrappy's embedded Photo
The last buck I shot with a two blade spitfire. I had never heard of a two blade version until camofire had them on a few months ago. I always loved the three blade version and now I think I like the two blade even more.

FYI if anyone is looking for them midway USA has/had them last week for 14.99 for a three pack. I bought four packs.

22-Jan-19
At 65 pounds, over 29" draw length and with that heavy of an arrow, you will be fine using any head you want.

22-Jan-19
I kind of figured that with my setup I could use pretty much anything, just not overly fond of how stiff the Killzones have become and am looking around for other mech's to supplement my standard Slick Tricks for game smaller than elk.

22-Jan-19
The Trypans have a more swept back angle and thicker blades than the Hypos.

22-Jan-19
Looking specifically for a low profile 125 grain mech to match what my setup likes.

Only one from rage (2 blade specifically) is the Hypo +P from what I'm seeing.

23-Jan-19
The Hypo +P would be a good one methinks!

23-Jan-19
Looking specifically for a low profile 125 grain mech to match what my setup likes.

Only one from rage (2 blade specifically) is the Hypo +P from what I'm seeing.

23-Jan-19
Thanks gents, guess I need to find some +P's to use! Sorry for the double post not sure what happened

25-Jan-19
Try the Swhacker. Very low profile in flight, two blade, available in 125 grain. You have plenty KE for any head.

25-Jan-19
Vortex 125 gr. Steel 2" is a dynamite head. I coincidentally shoot a 65# Hoyt @ 27.5" and have killed all the critters you named except for turkey with them (I use the 2 3/4" 125 gr. heads for that).

They are a Bowsite sponsor too.

• Sitka Gear