'Ike' 22-Jan-19
Inshart 22-Jan-19
Topgun 30-06 22-Jan-19
WapitiBob 22-Jan-19
moondoondude 23-Jan-19
Mule Power 23-Jan-19
Darrell 23-Jan-19
22-Jan-19
Ready to apply to WY for elk. Trying to decide if its worth spending the extra $ on the "special hunt pool." Last year's numbers say I would have had an 80% of drawing with the number of points I have this year in the regular draw and a 100% in the special draw. I was in the regular last year and would not have drawn in regular or special unless being in the special would have allowed me to draw a random tag. Less than my # of points but greater than what I have now had an 86% chance of drawing in special. I could come up with the extra cash but it would definitely hurt. I know point creep plays a role but I'm guessing in my spot I will have about a 50% chance of drawing in the regular and maybe a 75-80% chance in the special when you also factor in the higher chance of drawing in the random pool. (This is for a mid range point hunt, not an upper end so I'm guessing (hoping) less pressure on point creep)

Thoughts?

22-Jan-19
If you can afford it and want to hunt this year then go in the Special. If the cash is tight then I would wait. Really only you can answer this question as no one knows your finances better than yourself.

22-Jan-19
Brotsky, Yes, I unfortunately am aware of that. Just going back in forth in my own head. I do want to hunt WY this year but if it needs to be next that is OK as well as I might go out in September for a few days to scout for next year and then have an even better hunt next year.

The finances certainly play a part but the bigger question is "will it matter?" I have a feeling that if I put in for the special pool, I will look at the numbers when they are posted and say, "well that was a waste of $, I would have drawn in the regular pool." That or I go regular, not draw and then find out the special drew with one point less than I have because so many people looked at the numbers and said "why bother with the special?"

22-Jan-19
Did this last year in WY...Crap shoot at best is all I can say!

Put in Special and saw that regular drew...You just don't know anymore...That and being one off max, really brings it home!

22-Jan-19
Scoot,

Yep, playing that card in my head also. I drew a NM tag last year in my traditional "3rd choice unit." Had a blast and would love to do it again. However, I got one of 9 tags with 250+ applicants so the odds of getting lucky twice in a row are crazy. Done OTC Colorado twice and I'm not too keen on that idea unless I come up with a better place and won't know that for certain until I hunt it. :)

22-Jan-19
The quicker you use your WY PPs, the quicker you can get more or get out of the game.

Personal decision

22-Jan-19
I have personally set the make or break mark at 1000.00 for an out of state elk tag. It is what my budget can afford. Wyoming with the three points it takes to draw a regular general tag is approaching that, but not over a grand yet. I am probably going to go OTC Idaho until I can draw Wyoming. Idaho and Montana can be done for less than a grand and offer some good elk hunting too. It is getting expensive to hunt Elk but if you want it you gotta pay to play!!

22-Jan-19
Easy choice. Spend the extra this year and go hunting. You never know what 2020 may bring you. There are no guarantees in life.

22-Jan-19
Go all in this year, so many are bailing on Wy due to cost increase that next year your gold again with out the point bundle. WIN WIN

Well it could happen. Signed: Dreamer

22-Jan-19
Between Brotsky, Cnelk, and Quinn that’s all you need to know!

You said it would hurt. You didn’t say it will kill you. It will hurt not to hunt elk and nothing will ease the pain. Going hunting will cure the pain of the expense. Just do it!

22-Jan-19
Need a lil Nike # there Mule! ;-)

22-Jan-19
Quin nailed it .... go now, the future is always "uncertain" at best. Just look at what happened to a few guys on this site over the past few years .... sh$t happens in the blink of an eye.

22-Jan-19
From: Inshart 22-Jan-19 Quin nailed it .... go now, the future is always "uncertain" at best. Just look at what happened to a few guys on this site over the past few years .... sh$t happens in the blink of an eye.

Tell me about it, as I feel healthy as heck and was just diagnosed with bone cancer yesterday!

22-Jan-19
That’s the shits, I’ll give you a call.

23-Jan-19
Topgun nailed it.

Doesn't get any more real than that. Prayers for you brother.

23-Jan-19
Topgun are you serious? Prayers man!

23-Jan-19
Thanks for the input guys. Top Gun, our prayers are with you. Cancer is a bear but many times can be conquered. I'm still going back and forth as I do have a new spot on CO I am thinking about checking out. I think I have some pretty good intel. Of course if there was anyone out there with 5 or 6 points who wanted to apply with and possibly share a camp with me then I wouldn't need the special. :)

• Sitka Gear