Charlie Rehor 23-Jan-19
elkstabber 23-Jan-19
Thomas11 23-Jan-19
IdyllwildArcher 23-Jan-19
smarba 23-Jan-19
IdyllwildArcher 23-Jan-19
NoWiser 23-Jan-19
23-Jan-19
Another thread made it clear that you could buy a license every other year (most years) in order to apply for elk. The downfall of this strategy is that you wouldn't be able to apply for sheep/deer in June.

My question is similar but still different: Is it possible that we could buy 2 licenses every 3 years by timing it right and still be in every elk/sheep/deer draw?

For example, buy on Feb 12 of 2019 and license is good through 2020 elk app. Then in 2020 buy right before sheep/deer is due. This license would be good for 2020 sheep/deer and all draws in 2021. This would save buying a license for applications in 2021. Would this work?

23-Jan-19
Sounds reasonable to me.

23-Jan-19
When do you apply for a deer point?

23-Jan-19
Charlie: I wrote it wrong in the first post when I said May. The Sheep/Deer application is due in mid June.

23-Jan-19
I do this every year so yes it works. I always apply for elk draw using a license every other yr. the yr I buy the license I apply for deer ands sheep so I have half as many points for deer and sheep as elk, if this makes sense

23-Jan-19
That's not what the OP asked. He wants to be in every elk/deer/sheep draw.

23-Jan-19
Should be able to buy only every other year. One of the draws will fall in the middle of your license year. The other draw will be the last day of your license year as the deadlines march 1 day earlier each year until they make a jump a week later. So the every-other will work for most draw cycles but occasionally you won't be able to skip.

23-Jan-19
Not worth the $160 every 2 years for me to potentially lose loyalty points and a chance at a DBHS. Besides, I hunt AZ for Coues every year so it's not worth it for me to even sweat it. Looking at the calendar though, I think smarba is right. It appears you could get two elk/1sheep app on one license, and then two sheep and 1 elk app on the next.

That's assuming the actual draw dates line up properly which they won't some of the time just based on rotating draw dates.

23-Jan-19
Smarba, it doesn't work that way if you want to apply for deer, elk, and sheep. I see no reason that you shouldn't be able to just buy a license 2 of every 3 years, as the original poster asked.

• Sitka Gear