Treeline 26-Jan-19
Paul@thefort 26-Jan-19
tobinsghost 26-Jan-19
Treeline 26-Jan-19
Paul@thefort 27-Jan-19
25-Jan-19

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Hard to tell actually if it is the world's smallest goose but of all of the geese I have killed with a shotgun and now over the past 8 seasons, with a bow, this goose today was the smallest, and yes, I do believe it is the World's smallest goose ever killed by, at least a bow hunter. It might weight 5 pounds at the most but most likely less. Just weighted it, 4.4 pounds. I do believe it is my first Lesser Goose, the smaller verson of the larger Canada Goose and it arrived with the bigger geese but was the only one that landed to it's demise.

25-Jan-19

Interesting morning as the geese did not fly until after 9 am. I would expect the reason was yesterday's snow and then the 14 degree temp this morning. I was ready by 8 am and by 9 am, the sun was shinning and it warmed things up to 27 degrees, a heat wave.

25-Jan-19
It must have a been a late rut for that goose to be that small

25-Jan-19

While I have used the tent blind most often, I do like setting in the open along the edge of the field, behind a natural cover blind. This morning I also wore my snow camo. Decoys within 20 yards.

25-Jan-19
Yeah, hey Paul there a bunch of different subspecies of Canadian geese of different sizes if I remember correctly... Don't remember the names but may google it...

25-Jan-19
Maybe a cackling goose

25-Jan-19

geese looking at the decoys, might in interested
geese looking at the decoys, might in interested
At 9:30 I was thinking this days hunt was a bummer, but then all sorts of geese starting showing up off the lake. When I went by the lake this morning prior to the hunt, it looked completely frozen but later, I found out there were some over water area.

25-Jan-19
Glunt - "Maybe a cackling goose"

Yeah, that's the one I was thinking of...

25-Jan-19

this goose breaks from the flock and lands 22 yards away thinking he has found some friends. :)
this goose breaks from the flock and lands 22 yards away thinking he has found some friends. :)
the arrow zips through the goose before it knew there are no friends around..
the arrow zips through the goose before it knew there are no friends around..
Its last thoughts might have been, " I think I see a pussy cat". Too late. Number 65.
Its last thoughts might have been, " I think I see a pussy cat". Too late. Number 65.

25-Jan-19
Heck Paul, ya need to shoot them out of the air like that one guy on youtube...8^)

25-Jan-19

Chase is going crazy so I get out of the blind and line him up for the retrieve.
Chase is going crazy so I get out of the blind and line him up for the retrieve.
off and running
off and running
heading back
heading back
and to hand, Good boy! Can you tell he loves this stuff? Will be 10 years old next month.
and to hand, Good boy! Can you tell he loves this stuff? Will be 10 years old next month.

25-Jan-19

As a bow hunter we seem to love bloody arrows. I used this one arrow on the last three geese. Just resharpened and added a new Oring. NAP ShockWave. End of story until the next time, maybe tomorrow
As a bow hunter we seem to love bloody arrows. I used this one arrow on the last three geese. Just resharpened and added a new Oring. NAP ShockWave. End of story until the next time, maybe tomorrow

25-Jan-19
Looks like you got yourself a "Hutchie" Paul! A Hutchins' Canada goose! Could also be an Interior Canada or Lesser Canada, which is more likely based upon the size. A Hutchie or Cackler is usually only slightly bigger than a big mallard. We get all of the subspecies through here in the fall as you know so I've shot Canada geese of about every size and shape!

25-Jan-19
Good shooting :)

25-Jan-19

Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo
Cool linky on subspecies and sizes:

file:///C:/Users/Owner/Documents/Field%20Notes/Birds/Goosefieldguide_ch_5.pdf

25-Jan-19

Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo
4 of the subspecies...

25-Jan-19
Good job, Paul! Those little ones are typically some of the more difficult to finish in the decoys (let alone landing in the deeks for a shot from a bow!) as they seem to have the snow goose mentality. I think I recall reading that there are something like 17 subspecies of Canada geese.

25-Jan-19

Based on its size and weight, small head and neck, plus a slight white band where the neck connects to the body, I will go with the Lesser goose, but then ???????????
Based on its size and weight, small head and neck, plus a slight white band where the neck connects to the body, I will go with the Lesser goose, but then ???????????

25-Jan-19
Wow

25-Jan-19

Thanks guys, lots of good info here about geese. I appreciate the input. my best, Paul

Oh, and Chase the wonder dog.

25-Jan-19
Good job Paul... & Chase!!!

25-Jan-19
Lesser!

25-Jan-19
I knew when I saw the thread title, Paul is at it again . Labs are wonderful people. I have 3 Chocolate Lab females. 2 are awesome deer recovery dogs . One is just my buddy . She has rode thousands of miles with me running service calls to farms. Keep at it Paul !!

25-Jan-19
Congrats! This is some really interesting stuff about the different geese.

25-Jan-19
Congrats! This is some really interesting stuff about the different geese.

25-Jan-19
That’s awesome. I killed one with a bow once and would love to have the opportunity to go out like you do! You ever try to get one as he cups to land?

25-Jan-19
Good shooting on a smaller target!

At 4.4 lbs my guess would be a lesser also. The whole Canada goose spectrum is crazy and complicated, I don't think even the "experts" can agree on everything.

I've shot a couple (gun) that were probably Hutchins or Cackling geese, in the 3-3.5 lb range. My recollection was their bill was shorter than your goose, and shaped a bit differently. I'll see if I can dig up a photo, but I'd have to scan it because it would be from a long time ago.

Cool pics from Zbone.

25-Jan-19
I wonder if the experts will include the species, "Yard Hoppers" as a new one? What is your guess? Seems reasonable to me, but then..........................................

25-Jan-19
Chase really has a regal bearing, nothing quite as pretty as a blocky headed lab. Oh....you look good too Paul. Great pics !

25-Jan-19
You need a Latin term, something like; Branta aria humulus

Probably not correct Latin, but the best I could do with Google translate.

25-Jan-19
Hutchie is what we would call it in South Dakota. Nice shot Paul!!

25-Jan-19
Good job Paul. I'm jealous! Nasty cold spell here. 32 below this morning without the wind chill and they just promised another week of it. Almost puts me out of the mood for ice fishing. Was in Colorado a week ago and enjoyed the much warmer sun you get. Even had breakfast with Jaq and really enjoyed that. keep thinning the flock Paul. Lots of yard owners will appreciate it!

25-Jan-19
Nice work Paul!!! Love the pics and the story. Thanks for sharing.

25-Jan-19
A few visible features separate the two species, too. Cacklings are small; some are barely larger than a Mallard. In contrast, the largest Canada Goose can weigh twice as much as a Cackling Goose. But size varies, and some smaller Canada Geese (females and immature birds especially) can stay nearly as compact as their estranged counterparts. Still, size is a good first indicator—any mini goose warrants further investigation.

Looked at a bunch of pics where I found the above and the stubby beak plus the size are sure indicators.

Cackling geese are not considered to be Canada Geese.

25-Jan-19
Good shot! I've shot a lot of cacklers that size with a shotgun. They are often in the back of a flock and I always pick them out because they eat better and die faster.

25-Jan-19
LHD!

Little honker down!

26-Jan-19
no goose with a bow is small that is a feat. well done.

26-Jan-19
Great job Paul!

26-Jan-19
Once again, good job Chase and Paul! I sure enjoy getting to follow along on these daily threads!! Good luck today, Jeff

26-Jan-19
Man, Paul, even the baby’s don’t stand a chance with you around! Probably knocked the milk off his lips when you skewered that little feller:-). Barely ‘nuff there to make a sliver of jerky!

Great way to get out there and have a blast with your bow in the wintertime!

When you gonna drag out that recurve and do some traditional goose whackin?

26-Jan-19

Of all of the geese killed with the compound bow, the one with the recurve is most memorable.
Of all of the geese killed with the compound bow, the one with the recurve is most memorable.
Treeline, you missed it from last years.

26-Jan-19
Midwest, if there was a like button I would have got it for you! I laughed out loud!!

26-Jan-19
Dang Paul, you regressed back to the compound! I was hoping you would stick to the ‘curve for a while and then progress up through longbow and self bow!

Awesome no matter what man! Glad you are out having so much fun! Great way to stay sharp in the off season!

Thanks for sharing the good times with us!

27-Jan-19

Tavis, Actually,I have spent half the night carving and rigging up a goose spear. Not sure if it will be ready for tomorrow morning. Maybe next year as I need to improve my throwing range. Stay tuned for more 'traditional' excitement! LOL. my best, Paul

• Sitka Gear