IdyllwildArcher 27-Jan-19
Powder 27-Jan-19
Adak Caribou 27-Jan-19
Powder 27-Jan-19
Adak Caribou 27-Jan-19
bowyer45 27-Jan-19
APauls 28-Jan-19
27-Jan-19
I've got a bit of a unique situation that I'd like help with. There's a spot I'd like to hunt but it's difficult to get to. It would be in an area that does not get hunted. I've got another area that is relatively easy to get to but does get hunted. Our moose numbers are low to start with.

My question is this: Would you rather hunt the better spot later in the morning (after sunrise and need to leave before sunset) or hunt the place that has more pressure but be there before sunrise and hunt until sunset?

27-Jan-19
What do you call difficult? Use a GPS and go on a scouting trip and record your trail so you can hike in and out in the dark. Or spike out a couple days if that's an option.

27-Jan-19
You can't camp closer to the good spot?

27-Jan-19
I can't camp out closer. The regulations where I'm at won't allow it.

I've thought about going in and out in the dark but it's mostly over a very shallow lake and river which makes it a bit treacherous in the dark.

27-Jan-19
Take the least hunted and least pressured area. All legal moose are taken during daylight hours and often mid morning or late afternoon.

27-Jan-19
"And haul him out in the dark? What is your extraction plan?"

Same as any other big animal. That will vary depending on time of day, helpers and proximity to transport. And there are no grizzlies in Ontario.

27-Jan-19
I’d lay a track in the daylight with my GPS that way you know you are crossing at a safe place in the dark.

Lee

27-Jan-19
For a moose I would do whatever it takes to give me the best odds. Off the beaten path is almost always better so I would go there and be in there as much of the day as humanly possible.

27-Jan-19
I'd hunt the less pressured area because that's what makes me happy. If the logistics of dealing with a successful hunt become enough to take the fun out of it, then I'll quit.

27-Jan-19
I definitely like to hunt the less pressured areas too. But since I'm fairly new to moose hunting I wasn't sure how productive the hunt would be if I miss out on the first and last hour of the day.

27-Jan-19
Are you only hunting one day? Are you flying in? Hunt both...

27-Jan-19
It's a drive-to hunt. I'll be there for about 6 days. I do plan on hunting both but I'm trying to decide which one to go to first.

27-Jan-19
Powder, I'm no expert but have had pretty good luck over the years with 30 + moose kills under my belt and an equal to or more helping family and friends. Most of my kills have been around 10am. Very few have been in the evening. Every location is different however. If there is a lot of pressure they tend to head for cover early and if not pressured they seem to stay out moving more in daylight, in my opinion. Finding a spot where you can call, uninterrupted by other hunters, is worth it's weight in gold. If I were in your situation........I'd hunt the hard to reach place and get setup to call. Before I left for the night, again cow call, as he may be there in the morning waiting for you. Do you have a place where you can glass from or is it very thick lowlands?

27-Jan-19
It's thick and low. I'm leaning toward that spot too. There's just something special about not having to worry about someone else showing up and interrupting your hunt.

27-Jan-19
Sounds like picking a spot to sit and call, enjoying the solitude from other hunters, waiting for that ever so faint sound of a grunt coming in on you. Have fun and good luck!! Moose hunting is one of my favorites.

27-Jan-19
My experience in Ontario during the rut, has the moose moving most all day. So I agree go to the best spot even if you're a little later getting there. Hunt all day.

28-Jan-19
I’m always doing more work to reach less pressure, and once you get there once you can always just leave early and make tracks in the dark and get there for light. I’ve hiked from 3:30 to sunup or midnight to 4am to be in the right place at the right time. It seems to work, just move your day schedule over a bit. Nice thing about moose hunting is that the “hunting” part doesn’t actually require much energy, so use it to get to the better spot

• Sitka Gear