Norseman 04-Nov-23
Mule Power 04-Nov-23
WV Mountaineer 04-Nov-23
elk serial killer 04-Nov-23
Hunter's Granddad 05-Nov-23
27-Jan-19

SixLomaz's embedded Photo
Any guestimates? He is down hard. Not sleeping. This is my first elk, OTC CO. It was a DIY hunt which took 6 months to prepare for. Cost was $2800 for a 5 days camp on the mountain, 2 days recharge in town cycle, for 3 weeks. I regret not starting elk hunting when younger. Majestic landscape, plenty elk interaction daily, low number of hunters, incredible bugling action for 4 days, seeing other wildlife every day, made this hunt a unforgettable time spent in the wilderness. God is good and His creation is great in every way.

27-Jan-19
Looks like a great bull! Heavy in the front. I'm gonna go 358"

27-Jan-19
The higher the score, the harder and harder to guess accurately. Also, this picture obscures several of his points.

27-Jan-19
No idea, but he is huge! Great Bull!

27-Jan-19
more pictures?

27-Jan-19
big enough!

Great bull!

27-Jan-19
I dream of bulls like that. And I agree, the difference between 350 and 370 is really hard for me to tell. I’d guess 350” without much reference for beam length or mass or width. Really great Bull.

27-Jan-19

One more pic. It is an assimetrical 7x7. Meat yield was around 245 lbs de-boned. I probably could have done a better job with the meat. I butchered it by myself in 2.5 hours. The euro mount in my basement drying since September 2018 measures 346" in January 2019.

27-Jan-19
Awesome bull anywhere.

27-Jan-19
He was big enough to make me envious. :^)

27-Jan-19
Scores aren't a huge deal to me, but I use them some. I'm curious- 346 net or gross?

27-Jan-19
I`m just thoroughly impressed this is your 1st bull and OTC to boot.....well done.

27-Jan-19
Scores do not wet my appetite either. I went in for an elk cow and I was blessed with this bull. Net 348". After 60+ days drying and using Boone and Crockett Club scoring template for a Typical American Elk. Their online form has deductions built in calculations.

27-Jan-19
I probably would have overshot his score by 10-15”. That’s understandable since his 6ths are weak, lol. Great bull anywhere but even more so on an otc tag, congrats.

27-Jan-19
Nice Bull! Very nice! Congrats

27-Jan-19
Beautiful bull congrats... one way to find out 100% Bring it to a P and Y measurers have it scored and honor it with entry..

Congrats again

27-Jan-19
Great bull

27-Jan-19
1) Scores don’t matter

2) If you’re thinking about holding out for something “bigger”, either Let Go of that thought or plan on burning a lot of unused tags before you die.

A 7X7 is like a high, wide 10-point whitetail on public land.

I hope you’re either having that bull mounted or will never bother to.

Bull of 10,000 lifetimes. Maybe of 100k or even more.

You got lucky as hell and Done Good. Savor it, and save some for the next guy.

27-Jan-19
That's a heck of a bull, and amazing for an OTC hunt, congrats. I've hunted CO in an OTC unit for the last ~15 years, probably have over 200 days of hunting, and I've never seen a bull anywhere near that size. Guess I'm in the wrong spot!

27-Jan-19
Congrats on a great bull! Especially in an OTC unit. I'm not obsessed with score, but making estimates and then getting a measured number is the best way to improve at field judging in my opinion. My initial guess was 355-360 gross which seems pretty close before deductions. By any measure, gross or net it's a fantastic bull. Nice going.

28-Jan-19
I’m thinking The reason for guessing large is the photo was taken from below and angled just so. Even with the person in the frame it’s posed with him uphill and well behind the bull. Also with the other guess the bulls score thread. it’s just the opposite. The angle is looking down slope. So it does not appear as large. That why anatomical measurements have to be used. But like everyone said does it really matter. Who isn’t shooting either bulls Anywhere.

28-Jan-19
Plus his 348 is net - could be quite a bit larger before deductions to net him out. What was he before deductions Six? Hell of a bull!!

Congrats,

Lee

GF - I’d say a high, wide 12 point whitetail on public!

28-Jan-19
Who uses net in hunting? I don’t. They grow it, it counts. I see no reason to not give an animal credit for something he grew while giving others credit for symmetry.

28-Jan-19
Beautiful bull, congrats! I shot my first bull this year too, which was big, and yours is even bigger! And I'm with LINK, who cares about net score? Gross score is a far better representation of an animal...

28-Jan-19
That’s the problem with scores; they’ve got nothin’ to do with nothin’... Just some arbitrarily applied human standard of “beauty”.

28-Jan-19
“Who uses net in hunting?”

P&Y and B&C both do.

I’m with you though, LINK. Nets are for food service employees.

28-Jan-19
Sweet bull! I was interested in your 5 day on/2 days off. I have tried that in the past and found that I could not stand to be in a town after being in the wilderness. Glad you found that balance.

Also, not sure what an 'assimetrical' bull is... 8^)

28-Jan-19
Outstanding representation of the breed. You done well.

At this point the score is irrelevant unless of course you wish to enter him in P&Y. If that's the case get him scored and send in the info.

Now go kill another one.

01-Feb-19
Typical American Elk - each antler is configured differently even though the number of points is the same. No symmetry.

01-Feb-19
That's a pretty typical raghorn for a 1st timer on his own in an OTC unit. Now that you've broken the ice you can get more selective and hold out for a mature bull......

Congrats Kasimir, we all dream of bulls like that!

02-Feb-19
That has always been 1 of my Fav harvest/in the field photo's of all time on here.

You did Great man!

Good luck, Robb

02-Feb-19

03-Feb-19
Not that the score matters. That bull screams "SHOOT NOW, RIGHT NOW" with any weapon. But there is no way to estimate score from the 2 photos shown. Neither shows the right antler. I can't tell if they are symmetrical or not. Or even that he has 7 points on the right side. I believe you, but not enough to guess a score with so much hidden.

Fantastic bull!!! You definitely put in your dues on that hunt and were rewarded with a first elk beyond dreams.

03-Nov-23
Not a clue, but a helluva bull elk ! The whole experience is the trophy IMO, just as you alluded to.

03-Nov-23
No idea, but I know if I was elk hunting and he stepped out in range, I'm shooting him. What an amazing animal!

03-Nov-23
Solid bull. I am putting him right around 340-343 assuming both sides match etc.

03-Nov-23
Like stated big enough. Congrats!

03-Nov-23
Yeah Wansgelay, that dead bull's enthusiasm is unreal! Just like you. Go away.

03-Nov-23
I’m not into “inches”. Sounds like you had a great hunt and killed a super elk, congrats.

03-Nov-23
I’ll guess 346”

03-Nov-23
I’ll guess 346”

03-Nov-23
Hopefully he just retired from bow hunting after that and is hanging out with Tom Brady!?

04-Nov-23
It's been 4 years, maybe he's had it officially scored by now.

04-Nov-23
342 I didn't read the posts, just the title and picture. Afterwards I read the posts. I was a PY measurer since 1979 until I resigned about 5 years ago. Didn't measure many elk though, probably only 2-3. Hundreds of whitetail.

04-Nov-23

04-Nov-23
I don’t care about inches either but that bull is bigger than 3500

04-Nov-23
Funny. I was reading the first post and called BS. Because I knew the OP killed this brute. I then checked the date. lol

Dang it man, what was the score.

04-Nov-23
340"s

05-Nov-23

• Sitka Gear