Bob H in NH 31-Jan-19
Windlaker_1 01-Feb-19
GregE 01-Feb-19
ELKMAN 02-Feb-19
Longbeard 03-Feb-19
12yards 04-Feb-19
Bob H in NH 04-Feb-19
28-Jan-19
I wanted to get feedback on the recovery time on a full knee replacement! I am 53 and the doctor told me 8 years ago he did not understand how I was still going other than I was in such good shape! In working out a month ago I finally pushed it over the edge! If I had surgery in the next two months will I be back? I workout hard and don’t want to be down long! Your feed back would be great!

28-Jan-19
I just had a total replacement in November. I am also 53 and in reasonable shape. As long as you do the physio and follow the Drs orders you should be fine. I went back to work in a feed mill after 2 months. I do a lot more walking now and there is no pain, just a little tender if I overdo it. Now I just have to get the other one done. Moe

28-Jan-19
You need to look into prp[plasma rich platelet ] treatments. I have been a flooring contractor for 40 years. Two years ago I was told my knees were done and were bone on bone but if I got replacements they wouldnt hold up to being on my knees so I would have to retire! I was in agony every night So I started researching options. Figuring I had nothing to lose I had 4 treatments which gas about 500 a piece and I am pretty much fully functional now would just a little bit of pain. By the way I'm 57

28-Jan-19
Thanks guys, a little more information I did have reconstructive surgery on my acl 30 years ago. 8 years ago I tore my cartilage in the same knee and had a scope job, at that time the said my acl was coming loose! This what I think I injured a month ago.

28-Jan-19
Been taking the chicken shot (synvix) for the last 7 yrs and nearing the end, the shots help but is getting shorter. Just hate the thought of going in for another operation, been though 7, 3 on the left, 4 on the right but going to have to do the suck. It did make my ground hunting a lot better.

28-Jan-19

28-Jan-19
Had both knees, total knee replacement, 11 years ago, s00n to be 79, tougher than most of you guys!!!! LOL

28-Jan-19
In my experience ,you have about an 80-90% chance of doing most things by 6 weeks, but probably could not count on climbing mountains on a daily basis( as in a hunt) for a few more weeks. However,everyone is different as far as scarring,etc..The more fit you are, the better you will do as a rule. All surgeons have outliers( I had a man who was walking 2 miles a day without pain at day 7,but this is an exception as I did nothing different on him from the others I did that day). Some do better and some do worse, but these are reasonable estimates.

28-Jan-19
Alot is going to depend on you doing what you are supposed to for therapy after your surgery. I am trying to remember how long I was off work for my total knee and I think it was about 8 weeks before I went back to work. I will tell you that you will have some swelling of some sort in the knee area for about 6 months to a year. It took "me" a over a year to be able to get down on my knee on concret floors with out discomfort. If you know how to use cruthches see if they will send you home using those instead of a walker. Once the hospital therapist saw I knew what I was doing, they had no problem letting me go home just using them. For me they are just easier to get around with. The first night though in the hospital I did use a walker. Also do yourself a favor get a shower chair to set in when you are able to take a shower after surgery. I thought I could get away not using one for my first shower, I did it. Two week later was the second time I took a shower standing up. DANNY

28-Jan-19
I had both knees replaced at 60 and it was the best decision for me. I’ve been elk hunting twice since then and on a Newfoundland moose hunt with no problems. I think everyone is different and how long it takes to recover depends on several things. I had pretty much recovered in 6 months but my brother who is younger than me took almost a year. I believe recovery time depends mostly on 3 things. How good the surgeon is, how good the physical therapist is, and how committed you are to healing. Don’t pick just any physical therapist, ask around and find one that shares your desire to get back to 100 percent as quick as possible. After my therapy sessions ended my therapist went with me to the gym and showed me which machines to use and how to use them. I did everything the PT told me to do and I really believe he’s the reason I recovered as fast as I did. I can do pretty much everything I could do before but I can’t get down on hard surfaces without knee pads and I don’t run anymore. The doctor didn’t advise it as it’s hard on the replacements but I do a lot of walking every day to keep in shape for elk hunting pretty much pain free.

28-Jan-19
Exercise those legs all you can before the surgery and then hit the PT with a vengeance. You’ll be up in no time. The most difficult part is getting the knee to bend as much as possible. It comes down to your commitment.. my first knee was done at 55 in March 14 years ago. By September I was back in the mountains chasing elk.

28-Jan-19
Replacement surgeries these days are light years ahead of those done years ago. Recovery is often fairly quick and if you are physically fit to begin with, they`re a piece of cake.

The only thing is you will kick yourself for not doing it sooner.

28-Jan-19
My brother had both of his done, in late 50s and the second about 63. He would tell you, be religious about physical therapy and you will do fine.

29-Jan-19
I had TKR on my right leg on Oct 29, I'm 54: - Get your legs in shape, squats, lunges, bike riding, focus on quads - they will be completely useless coming out of surgery. - The surgeon MATTERS more than anything. Make sure they do lots of these. If possilbe check with local PT people about recovery rates, they deal with the after-effects, they KNOW what surgeons have the best results - PT is a bitch, it hurts, but DO IT. Careful not to overdo it, you can cause issues there, do what they say, as much as they say. Initial focus will be on range of motion and swelling control

I am 4 months out and totally back to my "normal" routine working out, back teaching spinning. My leg is NOT 100%, but it doesn't stop me from doing anything, and any and all pain/discomfort is muscles, not the joint (NICE CHANGE). I can hike, snowshoe, bike etc, to my limits. You will be completely out of shape, you will be "out" for 6-8 weeks doing PT, but figure on a year to get back to 100%

They will have you on your feet the day of the surgery, they will probably prescribe a constant motion machine. I was in mine twice a day for an hour for the first 2 weeks. Just grab a book, strap your leg in and chill out! At 4 months I feel it coming down stairs, I still can't kneel, at least comfortably and range of motion, while beyond the minimum limits, isn't what I want. My issue wasn't bending but getting it straight!

29-Jan-19
I'm a PT, TKA's are not nearly as big of a deal as they used to be. If you're aggressive early on with the ROM and keep swelling under control elk hunting this fall won't be a big deal. I see most patients in that 6 weekish time-frame, but have patients discharged at 2 weeks with full ROM and strength and others take 10-12 weeks, everyone is different; and it's not always because people weren't aggressive with their therapy, some people just take longer to heal. Most patients it is a full year before their knee really feels "normal", but you'll be pretty functional within that 6-8 week time-frame as most others have stated above. You're certainly on the younger side of getting it done, but you know better than anyone when it's time, it's time. Good luck on the recovery!

29-Jan-19
Can't add much. Had one done 13 months ago the other 4 months ago. I'm 56, tore the first one up at 14 logging. Total recovery is one year. I was catching for my softball pitchers at six weeks for my first one to soon. Second one I was setting coyote traps at 2 1/2 months, after the fifth set I rolled over and needed a life alert. LOL Legs were not ready for that much, squatting kneeling etc. Everyone is different. Follow therapy, not less and NOT more. Best thing I did, pain prior to was unbearable.

29-Jan-19
I had my right knee done in February of 2018 and am doing my left one this February. I was able to discard the walker after one week (I could have sooner but kept it around for peace of mind).. A week later the therapist said I could get ride of the cane. As others have said do the therapy. It will cause some discomfort, but pays off big time if done religiously. My biggest problem was trying to do too much. I played golf after six weeks and bowled after seven weeks. I did things this hunting season that I could not do before the surgery. Remember ice is your friend. It helps with discomfort and swelling.

29-Jan-19
I had my TKR done 11/1 on my left knee. I have been walking at least five miles a day for the last month with my yellow lab looking for sheds. Do the PT motivated to get better and you will. Don't set a time line on your progress based on someone else. Everyone is different. I started getting discouraged because a friend who had both done said I should be better in three weeks! My only advice is to take a pain pill a couple of hours before your PT. You have to bend your knee to get the range of motion back and if you are in pain your mind won't let you. I will be 62 in March and can't wait to go on my three state archery turkey tour this spring! Good luck and as my surgeon told me " Most of my patients hate me on the two week post surgery visit but love me on the six week appointment."

29-Jan-19
I had both knees replaced at the same time 1 month before my 62nd birthday. I walked into my house with a walker 2 days later. My physical therapist quit after 2 1/2 weeks. She said I was doing well and she couldn’t do any more for me. Just told me to keep doing the exercises. I was back to work in 2 months or so. I own a small construction company but usually work with the guys. The only problem I had was that I lost 20 pounds after my surgery, but it was all muscle. So I had to rebuild that and it takes a while when you’re older. My knees kept improving all the time. I just kept doing what I wanted. Sometimes the weather will cause them to get stiff and ache but most people can’t tell I had anything done. I hang treestands and hunt just like I used to.

29-Jan-19
I have fortunately never had knee replacement surgery.

I talked with a buddy this morning who recently had knee replacement surgery. He said it was 3 weeks before he “trusted” the new knee surgery; 6 wks he was playing golf again; and 9 weeks he has 95% strength post surgery. He said the first 3 weeks were tough and painful and then the pain began to subside.

29-Jan-19
BTW the first week will be (or was for me) VERY frustrating. Simple things like sitting in a chair for PT and your foot on the ground and they simply want you to straighten you leg by lifting your foot up, except you can't. Or laying on your back and try to lift your foot off the floor. You try as hard as possible but that dang foot won't move, it's like it's not connected any more.

Then one day it happens, the muscles wake up and you are off to the races!

29-Jan-19
I had a double knee replacement on 11/11/15. Switched from crutches to a cane in 10 days. Back to work in 5 weeks (desk job). Like Bob H says, some days were very frustrating. I was walking 18 holes playing golf by May 1. Followed the Physical Therapist's order to a T. When I did more (trying to get better faster) I'd have a setback. 3 years post op...no pain, still bow hunting out West.

29-Jan-19
Lots of metal parts folks on here.......

Had my left knee done in May 2010 ( had to delay it due to recovery time from full lumbar fusion done in Feb of that year ) I worked hard with my rehab PT and went ELK hunting in CO in September. Got a small 6x6 and with help of friends got it packed out.

It can be done. I did a lot of strengthening exercises before the surgery also.

Had the other knee done the next year.

G

30-Jan-19
Thanks guys I really appreciate your information! I can’t wait to get the ball rolling to a better life!

31-Jan-19
My dad had his done two years ago when he was 61 (10 years later than he should have in my opinion...). He was in a lot of pain for 2 weeks after the operation, but did his PT religiously and was able to ski 4 months later. Prior to surgery he could hardly walk and was in constant pain, and hadn't skied in years, now he's able to do what he wants with no pain at all. Do your PT!

31-Jan-19
My Uncle is having it done today, as his surgeon told him a while back "you will know when it's time"

01-Feb-19
What GregE said...PREHAB.

Build up your leg muscles prior to surgery. Spend an appointment with a Physical Therapist (even if insurance doesn't cover it) to make sure you are doing it the right way. I did that, and I'd like to think it helped a lot on my rehab.

01-Feb-19
Yep, Quad sets and Straight leg raises are your friend- before and after

Look them up and start early and concentrate on a firm core. Wishing you a strong recovery!!

G

02-Feb-19
You will be able to hunt, but you won't be 100% no matter what you do for about a year. I am a work out fanatic and had mine done 11 months ago and I am just now starting to feel like I'm truthfully 95 to 100%. I had no issues hunting Elk in Sept. though and I had my surgery at the end of February 2018. The Prehab is a huge factor and you should take it very serious. But regardless of what you do: To get back to where you forget which knee you had done will take at least a year. PM me if you need detailed pointers, or doc recommendations.

03-Feb-19
Had a TKR done on 10/30/2012 when I was 52. Wife wasn't happy about about it at all, but I was in a ladder stand 3.5 weeks later. NOT my brightest move ever, but I was there. Religious about the physical therapy, and had the knee in the best shape I could get it in before the surgery.

04-Feb-19
I work with a guy that has had both replaced. Very happy with the results. He even still plays hockey.

04-Feb-19
I am 3 months post-op, and one thing I learned, and working hard to fix now. Even after PT is "over", it ain't "over". When I left PT I had better than expected bending in my leg, I got lazy and stopped working that and I lost some of it, working hard to get it back now.

So as you move to the "strengthen" portion, keep working on the range of motion portion. My knee no longer keeps me from doing things, but some silly things are still hard, like getting up off the floor, amazing how hard that is if you can't get your foot under you!

• Sitka Gear