8point 30-Jan-19
pirogue 30-Jan-19
salt 27-Jul-19
JL 27-Jul-19
GLP 27-Jul-19
lewis 27-Jul-19
Shawn 27-Jul-19
29-Jan-19
Having rotor surgery next week, any chance i will be able to elk hunt with bow in September?

29-Jan-19
Highly dependent on type of surgery and which muscles are involved, but that time frame is reasonable for most rotator cuff surgeries. Don't be stupid early on and find a good PT that knows what your goals are post-op.

29-Jan-19
When I had mine done a few years ago I was told before surgery that I would not be able to shoot my bow for 12 weeks. After surgery I got into PT ASAP and they kicked me out early as I was doing so well, Dr. released me at 10 weeks and told me I could start shooting my bow. Shoulder is stronger than ever and still doing good.

29-Jan-19
Yes you will be fine for the fall. Don`t push too hard you have plenty of time. Depending on the type of surgery the repair must "take" or you can be back to square one.

29-Jan-19
Had left done 3 years ago, and the right this past fall. Surgeon said right one was a mess, but good in 10 to 12 weeks if I follow orders.

29-Jan-19
Thanks guys, having open surgery, will be in a sling for 6 weeks. Appreciate everyone advice .

29-Jan-19
I had a 3/4 tear 6 yrs ago. Repaired on 3/13 and was pulling a bow in June. I did the prescribed therapy and more exercises on my own, still going well! A factor in my success was exercising hard prior to surgery.

29-Jan-19
Did the left shoulder 3 years ago in March. Went on an elk hunt September 1st no problem. Recovering now from my right shoulder repair. I feel like I could pull my bow back now. But PT won’t let me yet. You should have no problems!!!

29-Jan-19
Had my left done a few years ago in March. Mine was open surgery too. Set my goal to be shooting by August. I was successful and recommend listening to your doctor and physical therapist. Don’t push it too hard. They want you to do the work but not over do it.

29-Jan-19
Salt,

Here is my experience,

I had full rotator cuff surgery (4 tendons re-attached) fell on same shoulder about 10 days after surgery. Developed a frozen shoulder so I have been unable to lift my bow much less shoot it.

I had a manual manipulation in December, of 2018 to get some movement to my shoulder. Currently I have partial movement in my shoulder. Tomorrow I have surgery to cut up/remove scar tissue, another manipulation so hopefully I can get more/full range of movement in my shoulder.

This said if tomorrow is successful the surgeon will go back in 2 or 3 months from now to re-attach the tendon I tore when I fell.

As said above everyone is different and the rotator tear may be 1 tendon or up to 4. No set time for healing. Follow doctors orders along with the prescribed PT and hope for the best.

Good Luck

29-Jan-19
Salt, by open surgery do you mean they are cutting your shoulder open to do the repair? If that is the case then you rehab time will most likely be longer than mine was. Mine was done orthoscopically so I had no big cut to heal.

29-Jan-19
Yea Rock mine will be a large incision, however surgeon said recovery time was about same. Believe I only have one complete separation

29-Jan-19
The right shoulder I just did in November was an open repair. Have a 3”+ long incision and four screws were placed to repair torn tendons. Hasn’t added any extra length of recovery for me. As long as you don’t fall or have other complications you should be good!

29-Jan-19
Depends of the extent of the surgery. Report back after surgery. I've had both rotators operated on.

29-Jan-19
Huh I had right open and left scoped ! I call bs on the same recovery for me anyway. My right is still messed up and I am now shooting left hand bow because the left is way stronger and recovery was way quicker ! It takes more skills to do the scope any hack can do the open lol

29-Jan-19
Been through 2 on the same bow arm. Just be patient and do your PT and highly recommend to get a BowTrainer, well worth the money. Took about 4 mos to start pulling a low # bow, I am a stick bow hunter and tried a compound that gave me trouble and left it alone. Stay positive and you will be after them in the fall.

29-Jan-19
X2 spikehorn. I worked out as hard as my left shoulder would allow the months leading up to surgery. This was my second shoulder surgery, not a rotater, but pretty darn close to a full reconstruction. A more major surgery than the first and I had far less atrophe, because I went into the second surgery with much more muscle.

30-Jan-19
Salt, Assuming your tear is not "massive", recovering in 8 months is not unrealistic. Typically, the bigger the tear, the longer is takes to recover your strength. You'll likely be in a sling for 6 weeks prior to starting any meaningful rehab. PT will begin very passively with gradual progression to you moving the arm and eventually strengthening. Conventional thought says strength returns roughly 10% per month. Thus the typical patient will not have "full" strength in 8 months, but should be progressing well. You will probably have to shoot a lighter poundage bow and won't be able to do a lot of practicing prior to the hunt. This is assuming all things go as expected. The biggest complication is post-op stiffness, i.e. frozen shoulder. And as you saw in a prior post, this can significantly alter your progress. Best of Luck!!

30-Jan-19
Thanks everyone, you guys have given me hope.

30-Jan-19
Good luck Salt. Its been 6 months for me. Strength is back but fighting lack of mobility right now. I can raise the bow and that's what counts for me

30-Jan-19
Have had three shoulder surgeries over the years. All were done between Dec. and Jan. Could pull my bow by June and was hunting by August. Just do what your therapist tells you. No more or no less. You should be good to go. Good luck.

30-Jan-19
December 2017. Rotator cuff, bone spurs, and tendon repair. The pain meds did absolutely no good (made me dizzy and sick) and the pain for the first 4 days was off the charts. The Dr. told me to expect 6 months to a year to be back to full power. I followed his directions TO THE T, did my PT as directed.

PT kicked me out early as I was doing so good.

After getting cleared from Dr. (about 4 months after surgery) I cranked my bow down 4 turns and was able to shoot a few times a day.

It took a full year to get pain free -- well almost pain free, if I over work it, I need to take a few over the counter pain meds.

Good luck and as others have said FOLLOW YOUR DR.'S ADVICE.

30-Jan-19
May 10th, 2013, cuff, reshape bone, remove spur, repair bicep tendon and pectoral muscle. The bone reshape hurt like hell. Was bowhunting elk in September. Follow the PT! You’ll make it!

30-Jan-19

8point's embedded Photo
8point's embedded Photo
What a bad tear looks like. 2 hour operation took 3.5 hours. I'll be shooting in May 1. arthroscopic shoulder surgery with 6 half inch holes.

30-Jan-19
Generally, the older you are, the longer it takes. One more suggestion on the PT. You need to pick the biggest, strongest, meanest looking SOB in the joint, to be able to move that stiff shoulder you will probably have.

27-Jul-19
It’s been a struggle, but I’m shooting my bow. Looking forward to September elk in Colorado and also drew a Kentucky bull tag.

27-Jul-19
8pt sorta answered a question.....I think. Reading all the posts makes me think of this. To do this surgery, is done ortho or cut open or depends?

27-Jul-19
Salt. Good luck on both elk tags!

27-Jul-19
Good luck recovery time also depends on how many if any bone spurs they have to deal with I had 6 which didn’t help Lewis

27-Jul-19
I had total shoulder replacement April 12th, my rotator were all in tact and fine. They have to cut through the subscapularus so they can dislocate the shoulder to replace the glenoid and the ball. I was shooting 60#s by July at 11 weeks after the surgery. I healed extremely well and quicker than anyone the doctor had seen. I did my therapy and worked out and once ok'ed I started swimming which really helped. Glad you are back to shooting! Shawn

• Sitka Gear