walks with a gimp 29-Jan-19
JIMBOW 30-Jan-19
Ucsdryder 30-Jan-19
bow_dude 03-Feb-19
timex 03-Feb-19
bow_dude 04-Feb-19
ELKMAN 05-Feb-19
29-Jan-19
For those of you that use a slider sight.

I am considering giving a slider a try. Mainly to be able to shoot the long distances at shoots like the Total Archery challenge. I currently shoot a 7 pin spothogg.

Here is what I am trying to wrap my head around. The general shot alignment (at least mine) is a solid, repeatable, anchor coupled with the sight housing circle aligned with peep circle. Once these things are locked into place, they do not move throughout the shot process.

If you use a slider, how to you adjust yourself for the entire sight housing moving lower when you turn it down for shot long shots? If your keep your anchor solid, wouldn't the sight housing being moved lower take it out of alignment with your peep circle?

Do you cheat your face up slightly to align the housing and peep back up, while keeping your anchor the same(as best you can)?

Having never used one of these sights, I have always wondered about that.

Thanks.

29-Jan-19
You anchor and align everything exactly the same way. The housing isn't moving so much that you would change any of those things when lining up your shot.

29-Jan-19
Your anchor point changes. Slightly, but it changes. Normally with my sight I am squeezing down into my handheld release quite a bit at 20 and I have very light contact at 80. Almost a floating anchor at 80.

29-Jan-19
Just seems to work for me -center the housing in the peep - which centers the pin - no change in anchor.

29-Jan-19
In theory, yes it does move the anchor. Guess my anchor is not "solid" enough, in practice it moves so little I've never really noticed it. I notice a wall of pins much more.....

But thanks..... I'm sure I will notice it from now on...... =D

29-Jan-19
For a single pin/dot we set our peep height at a nominal distance; 50+ for most men. You’ll be tight at 20 but that’s better than way loose at 65. Most of us anchor with some reference to the under side of the jaw. Opening the jaw slightly at distance lowers that reference so the peep/housing/target stay aligned.

29-Jan-19
Thanks for the input!

I may give one a try.

29-Jan-19
If you have shot with a kisser button for a very long time you will notice a difference.

30-Jan-19
Or you can try a slider from Option archery, the pin slides instead of the housing or you can use fixed pins if needed. Switched to an Option from a decade with Spott Hogg and couldn't be happier.

30-Jan-19
One key is to set your peep at the middle range you want to shoot. For me I set it at 40 yards. It’ll change your anchor slightly but it’s never been an issue for me.

03-Feb-19
You are over thinking the process. Set it up and go shoot. Things take care of themselves.

03-Feb-19
I agree with bow dude. & here's something to think about. my sight had 6 pins & I removed 2 of them so my 20 is dead center of the circle I believe for hunting this is best. your peep is center of your eye the sight ring center the peep & the pin center the ring & most hunting shots use that pin. with the slider sight this will happen no matter the yards

04-Feb-19
Bingo, Timex... I also use the smallest aperture I can. Makes it easier for the eye to center. In theory, you could nix your pin and just go with instinct and shoot no pin in a crunch and the arrow will find it's way to the target. Kind of magic how that works. But... you have to learn to focus on the target and not the pin.

05-Feb-19
Bob has it right. Just be sure you set your peep height for roughly the middle of your range so that any movement on anchor is less noticeable/ more tolerable.

• Sitka Gear