Fuzz 31-Jan-19
ELK ELSEWHERE 31-Jan-19
Alaska at heart 31-Jan-19
Bentshaft 31-Jan-19
bb 31-Jan-19
ELK ELSEWHERE 01-Feb-19
Buskill 01-Feb-19
30-Jan-19
Have a 2019 moose hunt planned in Newfoundland, never been there before and would like to hear some suggestions. Rubber knee highs? Is there actually waterproof leather boots with quality gaitors.

I have good footwear for mountains and swamps but this place seems to almost combine the two!

Might bring some of each.

What have you guys that have been there have to say?

30-Jan-19
Leave the leather boots home, comfortable to walk in Rubber knee highs is what you need.

30-Jan-19

4406v's embedded Photo
4406v's embedded Photo
This is after a day of walking in Boggs knee high rubber boots!!! 3 layers deep and painful, still hurts to look at the picture. I'd suggest mole skin in your pack just in case.

30-Jan-19
I was thinking rubber would be best but I'm concerned about destroying my feet too.

Would you suggest 2 pair?

30-Jan-19
Last trip I used both mucks and regular highly zamberlans with gaiters. This year I am leaving the regular boots home....

30-Jan-19
I was there in mid Sept 2018. We had rain/snow/ wind most days but every day included walking through water on trails or in bogs. I used 2 pair of waterproof Danner's in conjunction w a pair of Kuiu gators. I will be wearing the same combo when I go back in 2020. I didn't at any point wish I had knee boots. For socks I wore 1 thin pair and one medium heavy pair of Darn Tuff wool socks. I'd rotate the boots from day to day but the socks I wore every day. ( The same 2 pair of socks! ) These socks are amazing. I took 1 other pair of cheaper socks w me that I wore around camp. The Darn Tuffs did not smell at all after 8 straight days. I even made my fiance smell them when I got home to show her how great these things are. This is a great way to help keep luggage to a minimum.

30-Jan-19
Nothing but lacrosse alpha burly on my 7 trips.

30-Jan-19
Same as ‘boubound for me on 5 trips...

30-Jan-19
Alpha Burleys.

30-Jan-19
If you have the right boots and merino wool socks, you shouldn't get blisters. Ideally, get the insides dried out overnight or bring two pairs and rotate them.

30-Jan-19
boubound is right....AB's are great.

I have done two trips with Mucks....and both times the boots stayed there as they were destroyed!! Holes in the neoprene top boot basically killed them.

30-Jan-19
I used Lacrosse Alpha Burlys uninsulated with Kuiu socks and my feet did amazing. I actually left the boots with my guide after the hunt since his other brand boots were leaking so I need to order another pair.

30-Jan-19
I used Lacrosse Alpha burley on a nine day Alaska moose hunt. Stayed dry and zero blisters.

30-Jan-19
I have the burleys so I'll be good there. Sounds like good socks will be the next choice.

30-Jan-19
Lacrosse Burleys and a boot dryer.

30-Jan-19
The problem with that concept...If you take the advice of the outfitter, you will have wait to buy your boots from Canadian Tire and work with what they have at any given time.

30-Jan-19
What MMA are you hunting....would depend on gators and leather boots, or rubber boots. Take both.

30-Jan-19
i just went last season for first time . Never had knee high rubber boots (muckmaster 2 wide calf i think? ) but bought them for that trip, had terrible blisters after first 200 yards week before the trip at home. so i brought an arsenal of stuff to treat and prevent blisters and here is what worked: Clean feet, apply leukotape (corners trimmed off) down back of heel and another piece around the side. Used nylon work black socks as liner and merino wool socks over that. very simple I probably hiked over 20 miles in all kinds of terrain and no blisters, soreness, anything. Was great. tape stayed on without issue as long as i slept with socks on, for four days. reapplied once and made it through the rest. Was very simple actually, boots did get beat up but made it through, i love deer hunting in those now. All those guides up there are wearing similar.

31-Jan-19
bb...... ain't that the truth!

I asked my guide about the brands of several things he wore or used. Canadian Tire was the answer... even his binos were from Canadian Tire !!!!

31-Jan-19
I haven't spoke to outfitter about this yet. I'm going with my in-laws who have been there 3 other times.

I'm just trying to get more opinions on the subject.

Not sure of the MMA but we're going with Ryans Outfitting. My Father in Law says its probably his last trip as age creeping in. So the whole fam damily is going, even my wife and Mother in law as guests.

Actually the first trip I didn't plan anything but feel I'm in good hands with this group of repeat customers.

31-Jan-19
I moose hunted in NF in September of 2005. Along with LaCrosse Burly boots, I took nylon Wolverine boots......which never saw the light of day. NF is pretty much a big bog and you need to prepare for that. They have some rocky hills too, but you will end up back in the bogs.

31-Jan-19
Muck boots. Uninsulated

31-Jan-19
I use the Canadian Tire example because it's what they know and what is available to them. You're better off getting advice from others who have hunted there multiple times and have access to diverse brands. Those that recommended the Lacrosse Alpha Burlys gave excellent advice.

01-Feb-19
Thanks guys

01-Feb-19
I mostly wore Lacrosse but did regulars and gaiters a time or two that week . I’d personally stick with rubber next time

• Sitka Gear