Contributors to this thread:
coelker 31-Jan-19
Buglmin 31-Jan-19
coelker 31-Jan-19
pirogue 31-Jan-19
joehunter8301 31-Jan-19
SBH 31-Jan-19
31-Jan-19
My step brother and I are looking at making a Christmas Family Hunt-cation this year. We have both dreamed about chasing Mule Deer and Coues with our bows. We also both have kids that hunt and wives that hunt. So we thinking about a dual family hunt-cation. We are looking for an area that is not too remote. We want areas where we can find a high glassing point a couple hundred yards from a vehicle and can glass miles. Then when we locate a buck a the whole families can watch while we make a stalk. It is likely that he and I will hunt deer, but the wife and kids are all excited about Javelina.

For deer quality, age is more important that trophy. A 5 year old 2 point is in way more danger than a 3 year old basket 4. And since neither of us have ever shot a coues deer, any coues deer buck would be an unbelievable.

We have plenty of high country to hunt in Colorado. We have had great success at hunting in open desert country in CO/WY. We do want to see a differnet habitat and hunt an area uniquely different than here... I love Junipers, so any unit with Juniper and More cactus would be cool.

Also we can drive anywhere, but living in Western Colorado, the closer to Colorado means less windshield time and more bow time.

If you prefer to PM let me know, I will guard any info with my life. And I have a long history of helping others in NW Colorado and can help with a ton of information in Most the NW corner of the state.

31-Jan-19
Seriously? Glassing points close to the road? Look into the units south of Tucson. Remember that everything you want, do does everyone else. Last year we were walking two and three mikes just to reach our first glassing point. You're not gonna find junipers and cactus together. It's time to get a proc from the f&g and start looking into what units are otc and go from there. Research and visiting with f&g led me to some great areas last year that paid off again this year. All those easy spots you want, you're not gonna find five year old deer in or cous for that matter. Be prepared to lace up your boots and hike into distant areas to find your cous or five year old bucks.

31-Jan-19
Let me clarify. when I say truck I mean my old nasty blazer which I would drive place where most guys would not consider on the off road and 4x4 trails. I am not talking about a factory pickup with plastic bumpers. As a result I can often drive to areas where most people will not touch.

As for easy spots we will be looking into the nastiest stuff around just can not afford to hike in 3 miles before dark with the family. No if there is a place 3 miles out and we see a buck bed then game on...

31-Jan-19
Good thing you don't want to put in much windshield time, and get to the southern units along the border. Until we get a wall, it's not much fun spending more time looking over your shoulder for non-deer movement, than looking for deer.

31-Jan-19
I wouldn’t waste my time. Az hunting sucks. Even worse now that every internet superstar is telling everyone else about it. Save your money

31-Jan-19
Lots of options out there! I went for the first time this year. We had a great trip and learned a lot. Will be back for sure. Love that youre involving the whole family. You guys could have a great time. I can't help with spots but I would say this...for better weather it will be worth going a little further south. I don't think you have to go to the border and wouldn't recommend that with the wife and kiddos! Just don't be in the northern part, they still get winter up there. We had help from a fellow bowsiter and were able to get on some deer. It was great to not go in blind. A good off road vehicle will be an asset. Hope someone can point you in the right direction. The location we went was given to me and I can't share. We did not kill but hard to beat bowhunting rutting deer in December. Don't let the negative comments put you off, lots of fun to be had. Bring good glass and don't get off it, they are there but not easy to find sometimes.

• Sitka Gear