bowonly 01-Feb-19
bowonly 01-Feb-19
bowonly 01-Feb-19
Zbone 01-Feb-19
Trial153 01-Feb-19
Zbone 01-Feb-19
31-Jan-19

Zbone's Link
This was posted over on the Community Forum earlier and did not gain much traction, so thought I'd share over here for some to enjoy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulF9R7r4Jok&app=desktop

"Remember just a few years ago, they just got first video of Snow Leopards hunting... These videos blows them away..."

Well, I was watching "Planet Earth II, Mountains" tonight on the BBC America Channel and they now have great video of Snow Leopards mating and 2 males fighting over a estrus female with her older female cub caught in the middle, and one of the males fighting with the mother female, etc... Cool video... They have come a long ways the past few years from just catching one on film, to now filming them hunting and mating...

01-Feb-19
Cool vid, I've seen it before -- how could anything possibly survive a fall like that. Amazing!

01-Feb-19
All I saw was a giant watermark.

JK, cool vid for sure.

01-Feb-19
Typical conversation with a non-hunter...

"What do you like to hunt?"

Me: "Snow Leopards"

"Wait, aren't there only a few Snow Leopards left in the world???"

Me: "Well, yeah.........now."

;-)

01-Feb-19
I bow hunted ibex in Mongolia in 2007 when it was a very reasonably priced hunt. The outfitter and I discussed the chance to see a snow leopard before the hunt. He said it was very rare to observe them. Vast area, few cats, secretive habits. He said French film makers had asked him about booking a trip to film snow leopard in the Gobi. He told them he wouldn't book them for less than three weeks and would not even guarantee they would see a cat. During my hunt the guide spotted a snow leopard on the distant mountainside and asked to use my binos ( his were crappy Russian glass). He tried to show me where it was, but all I could see was a rocky cliff. I was excited and really looking hard for the animal, but just couldn't make it out. Then, it rolled over on it's back and a whole snow leopard just popped right out of the mountainside. Wow. It's camoed fur made it impossible to see, at least for me, until his white belly showed. All we had were my 10x42 binos, but I managed to get some handheld photos with my point and shoot. We watched it for about 15 minutes, then it strolled over the skyline.

01-Feb-19
Cool story bowonly.

01-Feb-19

bowonly's embedded Photo
Head down on the right, tail on the left. Mid-photo. Look for white splotch.
bowonly's embedded Photo
Head down on the right, tail on the left. Mid-photo. Look for white splotch.
Sorry for the blurry pics. They are still crystal clear in my mind though.

01-Feb-19

bowonly's embedded Photo
Head up.
bowonly's embedded Photo
Head up.

01-Feb-19

bowonly's embedded Photo
Going over the skyline.
bowonly's embedded Photo
Going over the skyline.

01-Feb-19
BB (William Allard) would be appalled.

01-Feb-19
That's cool bowonly, congrats and observation, likely only once in a lifetime...

01-Feb-19
Everyone on CF is too busy being partisans . That video is amazing. I find it impossible to believe that cat wasn't injured .

01-Feb-19
That video of the cat killing the Ibex is remarkable and amazing it wasn't hurt... But the female in the "Planet Earth II, Mountains" on the BBC America Channel was wounded by one of the males during the mating process... Now that is what ya call rough sex...8^)

If you have a chance to view that "Planet Earth II, Mountains" episode, the filming was awesome...

• Sitka Gear