drycreek 01-Feb-19
GLB 02-Feb-19
bad karma 02-Feb-19
Genesis 02-Feb-19
Buffalo1 02-Feb-19
ELKMAN 02-Feb-19
Tempe Archer 02-Feb-19
01-Feb-19
Looking for some tips or tools to help steady my shot. I was bitten pretty good by a dog 6 months ago. Majority of the damage is my left arm/hand, some on my right wrist/hand. I'm a RH shooter. I have some nerve damage, my grip strength is a lot weaker, and my left hand has some bumps and divots.

My two issues are: 1. I'm not holding on target as steady as previously, and 2. My grip I think is a little different because my hand has some new contours. My groups have opened up some, not horribly, but definitely not shooting like I was before. Just looking for some thoughts and advice anyone may be willing to share. Thanks, Kris

01-Feb-19
I am assuming you are already using a wrist sling....but consider using some offset bow stabilizers to help balance and steady your pin. You will get your shot back by staying positive....don`t beat yourself up and it will come back.

01-Feb-19
Go kill that dog for fouling up your bowhunting would be my first piece of advice.

As far as the other stuff, I'd give it a bit of time before I made to many changes. Sounds like you might have some underlying pain you aren't really aware of. Causing some problems when you shoot. Be patient man. I had to lay down my trad bows after getting knocked off a log loader and fouling up my shoulder. Took two years but, I can now draw and hold my 58 pound hybrid long bow at full draw for 15-20 seconds, 30 times a night without pain. I had tried to shoot it before being able to do this but, my accuracy was suffering bad. After a week or two, I noticed my shoulder would ache to the bone while shooting and, literally keep me up night. So, I laid it down. Started shooting it last week and I'm lights out again. And PAIN free.

01-Feb-19
Good to know you’re back at it, Justin!

01-Feb-19
Two things... get a gel ball and constantly squeeze it to loosen/strengthen your fingers Secondly use a dumbbell to exercise your arms and shoulders. I’m doing it now I’m a couple of weeks I see a difference. There are plenty of videos on YouTube. One exercise I’ve been doing is holding the dumbbell like it’s a bow and trying to hold it up And steady... good luck

01-Feb-19
Sorry about that piece of bad luck. I'm waiting on answers that might help us both......

02-Feb-19
Start by backing the poundage off if your bow will allow it. Practice every other day so your muscles can heal. Build the poundage back up a little each month. Use a wrist strap style release that requires less gripping. Wrap your wrist with an ace bandage to help the support. If you add a stabilizer plan on staying with it long term. If you remove the stabilizer later on your accuracy might take a dump again. Don't get too stressed about the spread out groups. First work on the strength. The accuracy second.

02-Feb-19
Hit the gym. My accuracy went up considerably after doing a lot of weight lifting, even though my right shoulder has been described as like balancing a golf ball on the wrong end of the tee. I'm accurate out to distances I never thought possible.

02-Feb-19
The Lions share of my inaccuracy usually is micro target panic.In that case weight training may be counterproductive.Id focus more on relaxation of your bow arm while on target and psychologically being totally disassociated from your trigger finger .

It’s usually a head thing don’t try to make it as physical at first

02-Feb-19
Reduce your poundage till your strength is restored.

This should help give you better physical control of your bow/shots and help to restore mental confidence in your shooting ability.

02-Feb-19
How far have you gotten with your rehab on the injury? Will you be able to get back to 100%? Or no?

02-Feb-19
Thanks for the thoughts all. I've already dropped my bow weight from 72lbs to 60, and have been working with a gel ball and weights to get my strength and dexterity back. I stop shooting when I get tired and sore so I don't get bad habits. I'll keep practicing and exercising. Staying positive throughout. I'm thankful to be shooting again, and thankful my dog and I are both healing up. It could have been a lot worse. I appreciate the tips.

• Sitka Gear