Michael Schwister 28-May-19
BullBuster 28-May-19
dm/wolfskin 28-May-19
APauls 28-May-19
Elite 1 28-May-19
BullBuster 29-May-19
wildan 02-Jun-19
02-Feb-19
Roundup linked to cancer. Question is will you continue to use it in your plots or home?

02-Feb-19
Yep.

02-Feb-19
Will continue to use it, intelligently. Don’t get it on your skin.

02-Feb-19
This phone is Linked To Cancer too. What’s not

02-Feb-19
yep

02-Feb-19
Just bought a pair of cowboy boots. Warning says " Materials known by the State of California to cause cancer".

02-Feb-19
Follow proper precautions. I will continue to use it but it’s not very effective on many broadleaf weeds in my area. Lots of resistance has developed

02-Feb-19
World Health Organization political junk science. Will use it constantly along with other chemicals. Just always follow the label!

02-Feb-19
I use it for over 20 years in research at the University in the field on crops and in the greenhouse by hand and on a tractor. Most was by hand walking between crop rows with 3 nozzles spraying one row. Retired now.

02-Feb-19
Yes I will, and when I die at 84, gonna have my wife sue so she can get in on the scam, 'cause I'm gonna try to spend all our money on hunting and she'll need more.......

02-Feb-19
LMAO^^^^^^^^^

02-Feb-19
Just remember DDT and the bald eagle population. Nobody wanted to believe that either. Thankfully it was banned in 1972.

02-Feb-19

02-Feb-19
I Don't eat a lot of Eagles.

02-Feb-19
Everything in Kalifornia causes cancer, which is why I left the damn state.

02-Feb-19
I worked in the farm fertilize & chemical industry for many years and still am indirectly & am glad to be away from the chemicals. here's a little education on glyphosate (roundup) the ld50 that's the amount it takes to kill more than 50% of lab rats tested is. 1700 ppm that's parts per million. the ld50 in lab rats for caffeine is 700. & nicotine less than that so enjoy that coffee & smoke or chew

02-Feb-19
Anyone who has ever watched Roundup work as intended knows its dangerous. I use it all the time. We are around stuff everyday that can be dangerous when used incorrectly

02-Feb-19
Does this mean I can't bathe in it anymore?? DAMN! I guess I'll just use it on weeds then like I've been doing for 41 years.

I use it to pinpoint specific weeds in planting beds by using a 50% mixture (of the concentrate). I use a cotton glove......WITH A LATEX GLOVE ON MY SKIN.....which I then hand wipe on to the leaves of the weed I want to kill. Been doing this for decades. You have to use a little known concept called COMMON SENSE.....which isn't very common anymore.........

02-Feb-19

Woods Walker's embedded Photo
Woods Walker's embedded Photo

02-Feb-19
Just beats the snot out of me why anyone would spend their money on toxic chemicals that they plan to apply to their own food. Direct or indirect consumption doesn’t matter to me; I appreciate wild meat in large part BECAUSE I like to think that it has had lower lifetime exposure to that crap.

And Timex - the LD 50 number itself means jack. What’s important is the levels in your food/air/water and the lifetime dosage.

02-Feb-19
Why is common sense so uncommon. I use it and will continue to use it.....because weeds drive me insane and will probably stroke me out long before the Roundup does.

02-Feb-19
The most dangerous thing you will ever do in your life is drive a car. Turn in your keys !

Seriously, if you follow the directions, don't get the crap on you while mixing, don't inhale it, don't spray in the wind, how much danger are you really in ?

03-Feb-19
Also concerning to me is that many of us spray in spring and the pregnant deer go right into those fields and chow down. It’s everywhere and RR stuff is insane in my mind....oh no here it comes!!

03-Feb-19
Valid point Bull.

03-Feb-19
I'm no expert but I worked in the agg business for 12 years & ran a sprayer & live on a farm & y'alls concerns are valid however actual skin contact with glyphosate should be avoided the real problem is the amount in the soil & absorbed by r.r. plants during weed control applications & then passed on to the small grains they produce which in turn is feed to the livestock we consume. as far as r.r. corn-soybean or whatever it was not produced by some mad scientist it simply is if you spray a 5 acre field of mature corn or beans with glyphosate (some) plants Will not die they have genetic anomalies & were not affected by the chemicals so those seeds were saved & reproduced & there's your (gmo) r.r. glyphosate tolerant plants. there are far worst things & practices in the agg industry than g.m.o. r.r. & glyphosate insecticides fungicides & paraquat will KILL YOU if improperly handled

03-Feb-19
I've learned over the last 6 years that children cause brain damage...its science...

03-Feb-19
Don't they apply gly to wheat fields before harvest to ensure an even "maturity"?

03-Feb-19
Never heard that one before Ambush.

03-Feb-19
I don't plant RR beans anymore but not because I'm scared of gly. I simply don't see the need for it. It's expensive and unless you want the actual beans for winter feed, IC peas are a better crop, at least for me. If you want the beans, seems to me e-fencing would be the solution. I only use gly to kill the weeds and grass before I plant. Someone is gonna have to offer proof of "takeup" in the following crop because I don't believe gly is residual. If it were, nothing you planted a few days later would ever grow.

03-Feb-19
Search Quaker Oats glyphosate ...........we are eating that crap one way or another. The amount that kills mice doesn't bother me, it's the amount that will give us cancer I am most concerned with. But I throw my hands up because every pill you take gets pi$$ed out and into the sewer, along with every chemical at the car wash, cologne, perfume et c tera. We are bombarded with chemicals every which way we turn. I don't think it is good in any capacity, but if I go off-grid and just Liffey off wild game I will get CWD?? So it is what it is.......

03-Feb-19
eat lots of venison small game & fish grow a garden get a few laying hens & stay out the damn grocery store except to buy beer & you'll be fine

03-Feb-19
I am a retired crop duster and I was diagnosed with chronic lymphocytic leukemia about 5 yrs ago. My brother sent me a link to a law firm that is recruiting leukemia sufferers who have been exposed to glyphosate/Roundup. Two different things as Roundup is glyphosate with carriers and surfactants. In other words a study only focused on glysphosate would be different than one looking at Roundup; think synergy here.

I spent at least a day searching the net and this is what I found. Essentially Monsanto is definitely guilty of manipulation of media. They discredited any study or article that would cast any negativity on their product. They also ghost wrote many articles. Quite a bit of internal communication has been made public that shows a lot of what could be construed as being less than full disclosure with their own studies. This information came out at the trial in August and is pretty easy to find online.

I could not find any definitive studies showing any direct links to Roundup and cancer other than a couple ‘possible carcinogenic ‘ studies from Europe.

I then talked to a local attorney to ascertain if there is any new evidence that wouldn’t show up on an internet search. Basically there isn’t. This basis for all of the lawsuit furvor across the country appears to be going after Monsanto for being unethical and manipulative. It looks to me like they will rely on juries and emotion to go after deep pockets.

03-Feb-19
timex, I like the way you think !

03-Feb-19
"Pre-harvest applications made after the wheat plant has shut down, when wheat kernel development is complete and the crop has matured. This is prior to harvest and used to dry green weeds and allow the crop to even its maturity. This is an uncommon treatment used in less than 3 percent of all wheat acres; however, it can be used to enable a harvest that would otherwise not be possible, if weather conditions prevent the wheat crop from drying sufficiently to be harvested."

03-Feb-19
Now I've heard of it. I understand your concern but having lived basically in the middle of a giant wheat field for the last 45 years I can tell you it probably isn't a relevant concern. I've never once seen a spray rig in a ripe wheat field or even tracks for that matter. Maybe it is done in other places but even according to your post it's a method rarely used. I would worry a lot more about eating fish than I would a loaf of bread.

03-Feb-19
Catscratch, that a was just a cut and paste from some some wheat producers site acknowledging the practice. I'm not particularly worried about it, but I've been aware of the practice in the Canadian prairies for years. Probably only happens when weather is an issue, otherwise it's just an added cost to the farmers.

04-Feb-19
I'm new here the leather wall got to stuffy for me. & don't want to sound like an ass but it's spelled gly pho sate the only applications I ever did on post emerged wheat was liquid nitrogen (fertilize) with broadleaf herbicide (usually 2-4-d) and then at what's called flagleaf stage an application of fungicide & insecticide if mites were detected. I'm on the eastern shore of va & the only practice of applications to hurry a crop to maturity that iv done is on potatoes to kill the vines & Milo-sorghum because it won't give up until frost

04-Feb-19
I'm imagine our weather patterns are much different than what is common in the Canadian prairies... which could/would indicate different practices. Just because I've never seen it or heard of it doesn't mean it hasn't been done somewhere else.

04-Feb-19
Welcome timex. It's good to see some practical experience with glyphosate. Typically in my field will be corn or cotton (southern VA). They are both RR and will be sprayed once or maybe twice before the plants reach 18" or so. Then the cotton will be sprayed with diquat just before harvest to make the boles open up.

RR means RoundUp REady. This means that the plant won't be killed by a normal dose of RoundUp/glyphosate. Ideally, a RR crop will only be sprayed once a year to control weeds. This greatly reduces the amount of herbicide that has to be sprayed.

This year we had peanuts. Since there isn't a RR peanut strain other herbicides had to be used to control the grasses and broadleaf plants. Since we had an especially wet summer that resulted in a lot of weed growth it was mind blowing how much herbicides had to be used. I'm guessing that 10-15 times the amount of herbicides were needed because glyphosate can't be used on peanuts. There were at least three different herbicides. Here is a perfect example of why RR crops and glyphosate are beneficial to everyone and result in less herbicide use overall.

05-Feb-19
Very unfortunate that anything that sounds like a “chemical” is bad and dangerous. Glyphosate breaks down into an analog of the amino acid glycine. It binds tightly to soil particles. It isn’t glyphosate that is “bad “. The surfactants used kill aquatic invertebrates.

Now for all you who think Roundup is cancer causing. Go after those mixing dihydogen monoxide with Roundup, often times against label recommendations! Now that is scary. DHMO has a terrible chemical name and is turning up in rainfall, rivers, and even human tissue. Why wouldn’t these same lawyers go after DHMO use? Pick your poison. Not all chemicals are “bad”. :)

05-Feb-19
It's TRUE!!

EVERYONE exposed to diHydrogen monoxide DIES!!

Not that we can last more than a couple days without it.

06-Feb-19
Spent 5 months in and out of the chemo infusion room with lymphoma. It ain’t fun. I avoid any chemical i can now.

06-Feb-19
There's lots of herbicides and pesticides much more dangerous than Roundup. Roundup is a pretty safe product. Hell water will kill you.

06-Feb-19
What Pat said...

06-Feb-19
I would imagine UV light from the sun which is linked to skin cancer/melanoma has killed more people than glyphosate. What are you going to going to do, stay in the house all day.? I use precautions, such as sun screen, hats and protective clothing, as I try to limit my contact with the chemicals and herbicides I use on my farm.

06-Feb-19
You can't really compare glyphosate with DDT. DDT is a very hard molecule to break where glyphosate is pretty biodegradable. That does not mean its totally safe but it is hard to know. Once lawyers get involved you don't know what is true anymore. I recently bought a new laptop battery and the package said it caused cancer in California. Wondering what it was I read further. Turned out it wasn't the battery but the cardboard packaging because "wood fibers" cause cancer.

06-Feb-19
^I actually just read a really interesting article in one of my wife's medical magazines about how the risk of harm from skin cancer is actually quite small when compared to the side effects of a Vitamin D deficiency from lack of direct sunlight exposure....

06-Feb-19
Good point Surfbow. Its all about balance. I recently wrote on a FB post about permithrin. Although I try to limit my chemical exposure that is on chemical that I use religiously because of all the nasty's that ticks carry.

06-Feb-19

tobywon's embedded Photo
tobywon's embedded Photo
I had the company purchase a bunch of these fluorescent t-shirts for my field people at work so they didn't have to wear vests during the warm summer months. One young girl read this warning label and wouldn't wear it. She talked others out of wearing them too, all because of this label. I looked into it and explained that this warning also comes on clothes for infants. Oh well, last time I try to help them out.

06-Feb-19
I have a shot of it with whiskey every night. It helps keep the bacteria levels in my stomach low.

06-Feb-19
Boy y'all are so cavalier about its use. Yes studies have not absolutely implicated the chemical, but that may come as studies finish up. Clearly there is a rise in the rate of cancer in our society, and it's not just a result of longer life expectancy, which has recently flattened out. I'm not taking any chance if i can help it. It's like saying there is no global warming.

06-Feb-19
There is NO GLOBAL WARMING !!!

06-Feb-19
There has been global warming or cooling for millions of years. Absent the earth exploding, that will continue.

06-Feb-19
Now I'm freaked out by this dangerous Dihydrogen monoxide stuff too!!!

06-Feb-19
There is current global warming, which is fact. The only ones who debate it are the ignorant and unintelligent. The issue is whether human produced hydrocarbons accelerate the process. This is debatable, although more and more data favors that our carbon footprint is having a significant effect. Anyway, not the subject of this thread.

06-Feb-19
It's all about money being suck from a big company and money in the pockets of lawyers. Same for the weather. he he I didn't say the above

06-Feb-19
Maybe Pat should dip his turkey arrows in RoundUp. A short round up would be better than a spastic, crazy chase.

06-Feb-19
Get a lawyer to sue Al Gore. He invented the internet.

07-Feb-19
The truth is, modern chemistry has helped us all. Many herbicides are custom designed to break down to their C-H-O backbone. Bacteria, sunlight, water, etc. all used to facilitate breakdown to organic base.

Given pure gasoline (no additives)...given complete combustion (enough O2), what is the by-product? H2O and CO2.

Roundup has really taken it in the he shorts by naive lawyers and the sheeple who follow. People want so badly to have a product be the cause of their malady. News folks, your strands DNA replicate. Millions in that sequence. That’s living. Cell division is not without hiccups. You cannot pinpoint a single source for a mutation in life. Radiation from X-Rays, and other isotope decay is about the top of the list...start sueing Mother Nature...oh wait, Mother Nature doesn’t have deep pockets. Until then, I am going to chill down some dihydrogen monoxide and drink up...or go fill a glass with it as it flakes out of the sky today!!

07-Feb-19

26-May-19
Every time I spray a field in spring it kills me to see the does chowing down on whatever herbicide du jour. Is there any distasteful ingredient that can be added? Something like cayenne pepper or whatever that doesn’t cost an arm and leg and won’t affect the seed to be promptly planted?

27-May-19
"naive lawyers"??? Hardly,likely not the clients either.Now the juries involved,and the judges that allow the cases to get to the jury,that's a different story.

27-May-19
Ya'll know the Sun can cause cancer.

27-May-19
My oncologist told me everyone had cancer cells in their body. Every single human alive likely “had” cancer. From birth. That it only took hold when the individuals immune system no longer recognized it as a virus.

It made sense to me in that the body looses the fight when stressed. Meaning a severe sickness, dirty environment, etc... will eventually weaken the bodies immune system. Causing the virus to spread when the body no longer recognizes or can fight and kill the cancer cells.

So, it variables an individuals are exposed to, that increase this likelihood of happening. Not anyone variable causing it. Just the weakening of the body to the point it can no longer hold off the assault.

So, there is no doubt in my mind that chemicals will promote this. Just like too much sugar, sun, or excess exposure of the body of most anything. But, unless you intend to get a gun and blow your brains out due to this, use your head and enjoy life while you can. Because unless the Good Lord returns before you die, you ain’t getting out of this world alive.

God Bless men.

27-May-19
I sprayed Roundup for over twenty years with the University of Georgia in research in field plots on different crops and on invasive weeds. 90% of the spraying was done by foot with 3 nozzles on a boom. There was many other herbicides I sprayed beside Roundup.

27-May-19
Amen!

27-May-19
Missed this thread back in Feb, but I'd add that crafty lawyers can create any liability case, and might even win. They only need to convince a jury. That alone doesn't prove the product in question is truly dangerous. Ever considered how plastic is made? The stuff used for packaging most of our store-bought food products.....meat, bread, milk, sugar, butter, etc. Most plastics are made entirely from crude oil. Scared now? Call a lawyer.

27-May-19
Can you imagine how much herbicide our pregnant does are ingesting by grazing in a freshly sprayed field? Much more accumulation than humans would ever get. Did you know that 100% of California wines contain measurable amounts of glycoside?

27-May-19
The Earth will be done in twelve years anyway.

27-May-19
One time I had a job between with chemlawn washing trucks.worked a night shift when trucks came in from yard spraying and tree and shrub treatments.damn nasty job.had to get blood test monthly for chemicals in body.funny thing was all the wash water went into a holding tank and mixed with the next days yard spraying trucks.yep,damn dangerous mix of poisoins.

27-May-19
Most of the chemicals was paraquat.water diluted.same as agent orange.many a vet had died from this crap exposure.government still denies it.

28-May-19
Science determined Gly (roundup) does not cause cancer(including EPA). An LA jury of 12 loacls has determined OJ is innocent, and Gly causes cancer. Nuf said

28-May-19
As a physician I must say that whether it is carcinogenic or not, it is completely foolish to try not to avoid poisoning ourselves. I use the stuff, but try to avoid exposure to myself and the wildlife as much as possible. I understand the righteousness of many in support for it, as your livelihoods as farmers may be affected by regulation of it. But again, don't be fools.

28-May-19
We probably breath in more harmful stuff driving down the road from automobiles.

28-May-19
Sprayed some last night using my backpack sprayer. Of course I was thinking about this thread and wore a t-shirt instead of going shirtless in case of drips. Now look you guys have gotten into my head.

28-May-19

Elite 1's embedded Photo
Elite 1's embedded Photo
This is how Monsanto gets away with it(same guy)

29-May-19
Wolf in sheep’s clothing.

02-Jun-19
I have used Gly for many years and will continue;trying "Prowl" this year on some of my sunflower and sorgum plots;pre-emergent.Way more expensive($160 for 2.5 gal.).

• Sitka Gear