LKH 19-Feb-19
SBH 19-Feb-19
rattling_junkie 20-Feb-19
LINK 20-Feb-19
Urbncwby 20-Feb-19
02-Feb-19
This is for all experienced parents with bowhunting children. My son will be attempting to take his first black bear this spring with his bow.

Right now his specs are 24" draw length an 40 lbs draw weight. Shots will be 15 yards and under.

Can he use a 100 gr. expandable or does he need to use a 2 blade fixed head?

And for arrows what length, spine, and weight should we be going for?

Thanks, David

02-Feb-19
Magnus stinger. 85 or 100. No mechanicals with that set up.

02-Feb-19
Magnus Buzzcut or Stinger will get the job done.

02-Feb-19
I would NOT use an expandable!

At 40# and a short draw length, use a heavier point weight for sure. Set up an arrow with a a 150 or heavier 2-blade, 250 or even 300 grains is even better.

Pick the broadheads first and build the delivery system (arrow) around it.

When my boy was getting started, I set him up with some of my arrows and heavy point weights. He was shooting a 55-pound recurve and probably drawing under 50. He had amazing performance on deer, pigs, and elk with 250 grain 2-blade cutthroat broadheads on the same arrows that I shot with 150 grain points.

02-Feb-19
I shot a 26 inch draw at 40 this year shooting a 400 grain arrow with a magnus stinger buzzcut, shot two deer at 20 and 2 pass throughs

02-Feb-19
Larry Hatfield has killed over 300 black bears, most of which were taken with a #35 kid’s recurve, and he’s non record saying that a bear is about as hard to kill as a jackrabbit.

He used Ace Express heads: 2-blade, COC; the design is unchanged since he bought them in 1958.... and he’s still using the ones he bought in ‘58.

Sounds like a good recipe to me.

Have fun with your boy (and tell him the guys here think he’s a darn lucky kid!)

02-Feb-19

02-Feb-19
The magnus stinger is a great choice. Never use an expandable with equipment that light. 40# is not enough to open the head and punch it through the ribs. 40# is plenty for a cut on impact head like the stinger.

02-Feb-19
NO mechanicals at this weight (or any weight for that matter). Zwickey,Ace,Muzzy,Razorhead,Howard Hill,just a well built sharp two blade will work.

02-Feb-19

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
Here’s a bear that was killed with a 40 pound bow and a 24” draw length. 400 gr arrow tipped with a 100gr slick trick standard. Bear went 40 yards after the shot and piled up.

02-Feb-19
I would give a 2-blade VPA in 100 or 125gr. a serious consideration. Takes a good edge, flies very true.

02-Feb-19
My son pronghorn hunted with a Mission Menace when he was 14. 24" inch draw and 40 lbs draw weight. I had him use a steel force premium 100 gr. 4 blade. It shot and preformed well out of his setup.

02-Feb-19
I plan on using a 125 gr Cutthroat single bevel with a 400 gr arrow for my daughters setup this year, if she draws...

02-Feb-19
Rage, its what the pros use.

02-Feb-19
PLEASE,,, I work in bear camps, I do the dirty work, that is recovery skinning etc,,, always have great folks,,, for that poundage please give me a coc head, close shot, and it will be recovered,,,,

02-Feb-19
don't rule out the long lean 3 edge grizz instinct- woodsman or vpa all.3.are great penetrating heads

02-Feb-19
don't rule out the long lean 3 edge grizz instinct- woodsman or vpa all.3.are great penetrating heads

02-Feb-19
R_ J What do you shoot?

02-Feb-19
My son used a wac’em triton at that stage. I personally don’t like the small 2 blade BH because the small cut. If a bad shot happens, less blood, recovery. I think a 3 blade cut stays open better and more damage.

02-Feb-19
Thanks guys I appreciate the comments. Brotsky can you give me specs on your wife's arrow, such as spine and length?

WYOBRIDDOG, I shoot 70 lbs, 400 grain arrows, draw length 26.5". Rage for deer and bear. Exodus for elk and moose.

My son is very stoked. We went to the range yesterday and he did quite well. Excited to say the least!

02-Feb-19
He would be able to shoot the Exodus. Then he is just like Dad!

03-Feb-19

joehunter's embedded Photo
My daughter at 13 years old. Long time ago! Alpine Micro 43 pounds, 23 inch draw, 2114 shafts 27 inches long. thunderhead 85. Full penetration on this 2.5 year old MI buck.
joehunter's embedded Photo
My daughter at 13 years old. Long time ago! Alpine Micro 43 pounds, 23 inch draw, 2114 shafts 27 inches long. thunderhead 85. Full penetration on this 2.5 year old MI buck.
Arrows - 500 spine or even a 400 spine arrow. Do not cut them to short. 26 inches or more. Try to get up to 400 grains total arrow weight. More up front the better. Pick an ultra sharp head. You could argue all day and all year on what broadhead. Pick a conservative cut one and get it to shoot well. Practice under pressure with your son. Have him run around to get his heart rate and breathing up. Have him pick up his bow and execute the shot. He will learn to settle himself and then make the shot. One shot practice is good too. Get him up in a stand and practice bending at the waist. Nothing better than hunting with your kids!

03-Feb-19
A .400 spined arrow from a 40 pound bow? Man, will that be stiff. Good luck bare shaft tuning that!!! Oh, unless you don't bare shaft tune, just move the sights and arrow rest...

Victory Archery makes a .600 spined arrow that weight 10.1 grains per inch. Just a 27" inch arrow putting you at 270 inches. 50 grain brass insert and you're at 320 grains, 100 grain tip, you're over 400 grains. To build a heavy arrow, start with a high gpi shaft. It'll be easy to bare shaft tune with 100 grains or 125 grains by cutting the inserts down. And a 600 spined shaft is a lot better shaft for a 40# bow with short draw lengths then a 500 or 400 spined shaft.

03-Feb-19
R_J, she was shooting a .500 Easton FMJ at 26”, 50 gr brass insert.

03-Feb-19
My daughter ten ringed a doe last year with a popular 2 blade. The arrow stopped on offside and both holes were plugged. There was no blood and no recovery. She is now shooting a slick trick standard. If she’s not going to get a pass through then hopefully she’ll get a cut that lets some blood out.

03-Feb-19
Good advice give here. I think Brotsky’s wife’s setup is near ideal. My only change to that would be a 100 gr - 4 blade stinger. Lot of setups will work. Greg

03-Feb-19
My daughter took her first deer last fall, a doe, with a 38# Diamond Edge, 26" Carbon Express arrow that weighed 350 grains. I was concerned about penetration, especially out of a tree stand, and used a 100gr Magnus Stinger 4 blade. Arrows were flying excellent, and she shot the doe broadside at 15 yds, 18 ft up. Hit her perfect, arrow passed through and stuck in the ground. Blood trail was very light, took us a while to find her, she went a little over 200 yds with a double lung hit.

I was not surprised at the distance she covered, she was with other deer and it was the late season. They blew out hard. I personally have always had longer blood trails with Stingers than I would like, but it did what I wanted, and that was get excellent penetration.

03-Feb-19
Some people think you have to have a 3 or 4 blade head. I'm telling you, you don't. My 2 blade heads make for very short blood trails and there is always plenty of blood. I'm convinced that you will get better penetration and be more likely to have an exit hole if you use a 2 blade head with lighter weight equipment. They must be very sharp. Don't let them vibrate around in your quiver for weeks at a time without touching them up. I touch mine up every 3 or 4 days.

04-Feb-19
400 spine arrow with a 125 grain Magnus Stinger. They fly amazing. Get the weight up around 400 grains and he'll be deadly. At 15 yards there is no need for a mechanical head.

04-Feb-19
You've seen enough bears killed David. My only concern with bears is they don't bleed as well. Often fat plugs up the hole etc. Personally I'd want bleeders on a stinger or a 3 blade. As long as he double lungs it you know you've only got a 40 yard radius to look for it anyways. Don't overlook aluminum arrows. Cheap, heavy, and very durable under lower poundage. My bro got me back on the aluminum train for trad bows.

04-Feb-19
I set my little brother up at 38 pounds 25 inch draw. He was shooting 1816 aluminums with 125 grain magnus stinger. He shot for Bears all pass-throughs! Can’t wait to see the video

04-Feb-19
Slicktrick vipertrick is awesome for low poundage compounds. Magnus stingers are great for stickbows.

04-Feb-19
Yep, I've been through three kids now. All using my "adult" arrows with Stingers. Can't really be too stiff if they are using a release and you have a good tune on the bow. All three kids were able to shoot same point of impact with field points and the Stingers. All three kids had full penetration pass-thru's at 22" & 35# their first year.

04-Feb-19
My three kids 4 blade stingers as well.

06-Feb-19
HUNT MAN, a buddy suggested that exact arrow. I think I might give that a try. Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Noah and I will be experimenting and fine tuning these next 3 months for our May bear hunt.

06-Feb-19
Used to buy Stingers for my wife and kids.....now replaced them with Black Hornets from Magnus. They are more durable and fly much more consistent. JMO

06-Feb-19
Pretty much any cut on contact, 2 edged, fixed blade broadhead will work as long as it meets the width requirements of where you are hunting. A 3 blade cut on contact "may" work but will have more drag. 40#'s will get the job done. Broadside shot will be the best choice to help ensure full penetration. I would like to suggest between 8-10grs/ pound of draw for total arrow weight. Because it will utilize more of the bows energy and have more forward momentum for the shaft to go completely through the bear. Shots will be short, so trajectory shouldn't be a problem. As usual you want to make sure they are SHARP. The reason you don't want to use mechanicals, is because, the bow won't produce enough energy for the blades to open and force it through the animal. DANNY

06-Feb-19

Ambush's embedded Photo
Ambush's embedded Photo
125 Stinger on a 1916 from a forty two pound recurve, after going through a bear. They don’t break like carbons. I think total arrow weight was around 450 ?

19-Feb-19
Well we decided on 1816 arrow at 27" and a 125 gr. point. The total arrow weight is 428 gr., kinetic energy 31, 181 fps, and arrows are paper tuned. Right now he is shooting very well out to 20 yards at the range. And to top it off, Noah passed his hunter safety course with a whopping 98% this evening. He is ready to go now!

19-Feb-19
Unlike deer, the front leg bones on bears are massive and extremely strong. With that weight bow, hit one and that's where it will stop. Ribs aren't as tough but you still don't want a mechanical.

Use a 2 blade COC head.

19-Feb-19
David, First off, way to go getting your boy involved. Hope he has a great season. You better be filming that one! So fun to get those kids close to bears and you do it with the best of em.

How old is he?

20-Feb-19
Matt I will definitely be filming his first hunting season. He will be 12 tomorrow.

As for a broadhead he will either be using a Stinger or Iron Will 2 blade. With the specs I gave above, what would be his max range? There might be an outside chance I take him to South Dakota in October. He would be the hunter, and I am wondering could he kill deer at 30 yards with this set up?

20-Feb-19
This was the first bear hunt he went on at 7 yrs. old. I didn't get the kill shot because my memory card filled up, first time filming with that camera, so I didn't realize I needed a bigger card.

20-Feb-19
Awesome job. How was the shot, tracking distance?

20-Feb-19
Link, the shot was at 8 yards, and tracking about 50-60 yards. I wish I had the proper card size, the shot was perfect, and the blood spurted about 2 feet. Would've made a good video.

20-Feb-19

Urbncwby's embedded Photo
Urbncwby's embedded Photo
35lbs, 100gr Magnus Stinger. 20yd shot. Broadhead stuck out on the off side.

20-Feb-19
Don't use a mechanical. I've measured the force to penetrate moose hide on a few of the most popular mechanical broadheads to be over 10 times that of an extremely sharp cut on contact head. I realize bear hide isn't that thick, but lower force means more penetration and that's what you need with his setup.

• Sitka Gear