WV Mountaineer 02-Feb-19
hobbes 02-Feb-19
timex 02-Feb-19
Woods Walker 02-Feb-19
Inshart 02-Feb-19
Lost Arra 04-Feb-19
APauls 04-Feb-19
02-Feb-19
Just wondering how others "tenderize" the tougher cuts of meat, without changing the flavor?

I watched a youtube video of a guy who used course salt (Kosher or Sea salt). So I tried it. Completely cover the steak with 1/8" of course Kosher salt. He said to completely cover the meat for about 1 hour per inch of meat.

Instead of using elk or venison (frozen) I went to the market and purchased the cheapest cut I could find -- I ended up getting a chuck roast and sliced it to about 1 1/2 inches thick. Covered it for about 2 hours. Rinsed it off and fried it as I would any steak (-32 below, so no way to try the grill outside). I was amazed at how tender it was - that actually worked!

02-Feb-19
Never tried that method. I just use different cooking techniques for different cuts of meat. Tough cuts get cooked a long time, for instance rib/brisket meat ends up shredded and put in tacos or sandwiches.

02-Feb-19
I had good luck with a Jaccard meat tenderizer on a Mtn. Goat I shot a few years ago. Just a bunch of blades so no change in flavor.

02-Feb-19
Baking soda for a short period of time does wonders. Just be sure to completely rinse it all off before cooking. 20 mins max.

02-Feb-19
The Jaccurd works wonders as well!

02-Feb-19
I shot a cow this year that was tough. I might try 1 steak with salt and one with baking soda to see if I can do something with the steaks.

02-Feb-19
I watched a you tube video that compared 4 strip steaks cut from the same beef. One was left plain, one covered with salt, one with pineapple and the last used a jaccard. The results of that test made the pineapple the winner. Appeared to be multiple post on the same subject using various concoctions.

02-Feb-19
Never tried that method. The baking soda trick sounds interesting as well. I have used the jaquard and also have a crank tenderizer that I use butchering. Elk brisket and eye of round make great pastrami! Elk neck roasts and hocks are great slow cooked! Got deer and elk hocks in the slow cooker right now:-)

02-Feb-19
Jaccard for me. Vinegar-based marinades will also tenderize.

02-Feb-19
do I dare mention the Sous Vide method.

02-Feb-19
I use Adolph's tenderizer and marinate in just about any Italian salad dressing. Sprinkle it with Adolph's and marinate for 5 or 6 hours. I'm sure you could do longer but I generally don't think that far ahead.

Any kind of slow cooking recipes work well also, whether you use a crockpot or oven.

If it's too tough for these techniques then it was supposed to be burger or sausage anyway.

02-Feb-19

Glunt@work's embedded Photo
Glunt@work's embedded Photo

02-Feb-19
Salt for an hour on 1 1/2 inch chuck roast.Juice out and right back in.Superbowl feast. Getr' done'! GO 49ers!???

02-Feb-19
I'll try these methods sometime. Thanks or posting guys

02-Feb-19
We make a lot of burger. I cut the loins into butterfly steaks, I cut sirloin steaks, I leave tenderloins whole, cut maybe a dozen various roasts, then I grind nearly everything else. Ive not had many "tough cuts", but I've never had to deal with an old bull.

Steaks are still often tenderized with a hammer, seasoned, then cooked on high heat and served medium rare.

02-Feb-19
you may consider canning venison it's fairly inexpensive to get into frees up freezer space & the meat (even tough cuts) comes out the jar falling apart like it's been in a crock pot all day

02-Feb-19
Crockpot. Can't miss!

02-Feb-19
Love the crock pot, pressure cooker, etc. Baking Soda sounds interesting - might give that a try. This was just something new that I saw, tried and was pleased with the outcome.

04-Feb-19

Lost Arra's Link
Jaccard, vinegar based marinades, don't over cook steaks, long braise on roasts

Hank Shaw's venison barbacoa recipe is delicious and easy for shoulders, neck roasts or any roast. I cook it in a dutch oven in 300 degree oven. We had it yesterday. I'm not a crock pot fan.

04-Feb-19
Canning or Instant Pot. Way better than a crock pot.

• Sitka Gear