Kevin Dill 04-Feb-19
altitude sick 04-Feb-19
Mule Power 04-Feb-19
Panther Bone 04-Feb-19
NY Bowman 05-Feb-19
FullTime 06-Feb-19
Kevin Dill 06-Feb-19
02-Feb-19
Planning a moose hunt in 2020. Need a hunting partner. Don't know where yet. Could do a float hunt or drop camp. I've hired a hunt planner, Mike Strahan to help with the details. This would be my first hunt in AK. I'll be 59 in 2020 and in excellent shape.

02-Feb-19
You should pick your partner like you’re going to marry them!

I would suggest giving as many details about yourself as possible. Goals, abilities, personality type, views on alcohol in camp.... anything you can think of to ensure you are compatible with your partner. Good luck.

02-Feb-19
I'd go by myself before I'd pick a partner off the internet. Especially a DIY moose hunt... could be the toughest, most physical, harshest and dangerous hunt of your life. Ed F

02-Feb-19
Oh man I picked my partner off the internet. But we did a few practice hunts getting ready for the big dance. Good partners are hard to come by. Plan on living in a tent with someone for 10-15 days. You guys better get along and be on the same Page. Good luck . Do a practice hunt / camp trip together .

02-Feb-19
I did the same thing (i.e., an internet quest for a partner) before my 2001 DIY AK bou hunt. I went on a short hog hunt ("test drive") with one interested man. Halfway through the hunt, he mentioned that he'd had gastric bypass surgery which made him produce a LOT of gas. Needless to say, he didn't make the short list because I didn't want to deal with that for ten days in a small tent! :)

02-Feb-19
I can not add to the advice given above. Good luck!

02-Feb-19
BTM.......Mountain House for 10 days straight is a big equalizer!

Agree with others above. Not the type of hunt you want to find out the ugly truth about another guy halfway through the hunt.

03-Feb-19
Once you dial in on a crew of guys you can roll with on any hunt any where, your options for potential hunts expands exponentially. Most of my best friends in life were met either hunting or planning hunts. Some I only see maybe once a year in person if I'm lucky, but we keep in touch on a near daily basis. I wouldn't let fear of a partner keep me from going on a trip, but I would proceed with caution as warned above if you truly don't know the person that well. Make sure to have a candid conversation with them and make sure your personalities and goals align for the trip.

03-Feb-19
If you are proficient in woodmanship and confident in your skills, go alone. Or take someone that just wants to fish or black bear hunt and can help out with packing chores.

03-Feb-19
Finding a hunting partner via the Internet strikes me the same as picking a Russian bride from a website. It can absolutely work out fine, but there’s gonna be a few surprises and awkward moments when you get together. (!) I might suggest getting involved in several sportsman’s organizations in a deliberate strategy to meet and associate with likeminded hunters. The more you interact with real people, the more likely you are to bump into a guy you like and would hunt with. I have personally hunted several times with guys I didn’t actually meet until the hunt began. It worked out fine, but in a couple of cases I just got lucky....that being a compliment to those men and their character. I’d still prefer to meet and know a guy somewhat before going on a lengthy wilderness diy trip with him.

03-Feb-19
I just thought of another idea. Tell them you would like to speak to the one person who has been stuck with them as a partner for better or worse, in sickness and health, for rich or for poor. If they are separated from that person all the better. I’m sure you’ll get the information you need to consider living in close proximity when things aren’t going exactly as planned.

I’ve had two internet hunting partners. Never again!!!!!!! I’d have rather taken their ex wives!

03-Feb-19
Good luck in all aspects... One question though. What exactly is a hunt planner?

03-Feb-19
I could be a hunt planner. We sign a contract agreeing to a price for my services. I help you in as many ways as you need. I serve as an adviser and voice of experience. I help you find a transporter or outfitter which suits your hunt needs. Help you pick a hunting area. Advise you on licenses and permits. I walk you through much of the preparation. I might have some gear you can rent for your hunt, and will get that shipped to your transporter. In general....I'm your primary liaison to helping you get whatever you need accomplished in order to help your hunt go well. The more services I offer, the more you'll pay me. I don't have to be licensed or a guide or carry any certification in most venues. Think 'wedding planner' or any other event planner.

03-Feb-19
I would read the Wyoming Bear attack thread. Do you want to be in bear country with someone you don’t know. Besides the rare threat with bears, is very real threat of severe knife or Broadhead injuries. I want someone I know and trust to not panic. Also hours of travel, with possible delays, tent time, things going wrong etc. a-lot of the fun is the pre and post trip with a friend. Try to talk someone you can trust into going. Even if they aren't moose hunting.

03-Feb-19
Don't know what else to say. This is just my experience and lack of it at this point.

I met a fella on bowsite/Leatherwall that has turned out to be one of my best friends. He is a killer. Straight up longbow carrying killer. Great in camp. Not lazy at all. He has become one of us. Every year for the last 5, we spend at least Memorial day weekend, and a couple weeks together during deer season here. He packs in, helps pack deer out, doesn't complain when the situation requires he do his own packing, and pays and works his share. I've spent the last 4 years in a very small tent with him in below zero temps, snow, mud, and glorious weather for extended hunts. He is always the same. He's family now.

I've been invited by a couple of people here to go hunting with them. I'm sure we will be the same with one another. And, I really look forward to sharing camps with these guys in the future.

What I'm telling you is there is no doubt a risk involved with internet relationships that involve such a huge commitment. But, my life will no doubt be more satisfying, fun filled, and better due to this site and meeting guys the exact same way you are trying to. So, I'll say if you get any takers, research them here. Look on facebook, do as Joe said, and decide if you think you are compatible. All it takes is the love and drive to get after it. Aside from that, there isn't much that won't fit together unless you are too sensitive, selfish, or lazy. Or, vice versa.

Good luck and God Bless

03-Feb-19
Ive killed and packed out 2 moose. Not as many as some, but more than most.

No way would I go on a float trip moose hunt. Handling all that meat, not just 1 moose, but maybe 2? Day after day? No way.

Find someone that wants to experience Alaska, familiar with the outdoors, knows their way around a camp, yada, yada.

Tell them they will get half the moose meat, but there will be only 1 moose tag - yours. Hell, you could even sweeten the pot and get a Alaska Airlines CC and give them the companion fare.

You got 2019 to 'test drive' a possible candidate

Good luck!

03-Feb-19
I don't see anyone that has shared advice that doesn't make sense. Really grateful that so many of you are willing to help. I recognize a few names from here and other sites. My preference would be to hunt by myself, but not sure if I'd get a pass to do that. I'm not a total loner but don't have too many close friends. Even fewer that hunt and fewer still could/would go on this type of hunt. So, this is where I start my search...

03-Feb-19
I have been researching AK for almost 2 decades - moose the most. TOUGH.

You have found a good route and a good planner but IMO not the best option.

Are you only looking for a bowhunter? I am "planning" a trip and also do not have a partner. I am fine with solo (did AK solo fly in in the past) however the route I chose pretty much requires a partner.

03-Feb-19
ALso I have planned hunts with guys from here and to a lesser degree MM many times and it has been a complete success. That said AK is a different animal. And a moose squares the concerns.

03-Feb-19
I've been on one Alaskan moose hunt. I went with someone that I barely knew. After 48 hours in camp, he flew out and I was alone. The trip ended up being a huge success, but it could have been an expensive learning lesson.

03-Feb-19
You know, it's one thing to have a guy (you don't know) join you on a guided hunt, or on a shorter hunt where you don't have as much of a dependency on each other. A diy moose hunt for 10-14 days (in Alaska no less) basically requires 2 guys to form a close partnership. Two guys who are both honorable, conscientious, hard-working, hard-hunting and unselfish can make a fantastic team without meeting previously. I think the real ingredients are to be forgiving and dedicated to helping the other guy have a great hunt. Everybody wants to kill 'their' moose, but some guys can be so self-absorbed in 'their' hunt that the other guy ends up pushed aside.

There just isn't a map or formula to follow for finding a partner. I'd rather have a guy who has the great attitude and fewer skills, versus a tremendous hunter who isn't a willing team guy. I much prefer hunting with humble guys who have no ego on display and are simply thrilled to be out there hunting in that wonderful place.

03-Feb-19
I did a Caribou hunt & one of the fellas with the other guide talked about a DIY Mule Deer in Co.. Seemed nice enough but I wasn't around him much. I said I was going the next year & had been many times in the past. So, we hooked up the next year & hunted an area I did many times b/4. Besides a lousy shot he did zero camp work & a lot of other crap. On the way back when I got gas (I was driving) I said if your not back when I'm filled you'll need to find a ride (I was serious). Never again did I invite. Be very selective. Like one said, like your going to marry them.

04-Feb-19
"I'd rather have a guy who has the great attitude and fewer skills, versus a tremendous hunter who isn't a willing team guy. I much prefer hunting with humble guys who have no ego on display and are simply thrilled to be out there hunting in that wonderful place." Amen, Kevin!

On the aforementioned 2001 AK hunt I ended up going with a workmate who'd never been hunting and had very limited outdoors skills, but we had a blast because he was willing to learn and was just out for the experience. (Of course, it was a drop-off hunt from a Super Cub. We wouldn't have done it that way for a raft hunt.)

04-Feb-19
Funny, I don't think I'd be "scared" per say to do a hunt with someone off the internet, but that's because it would be someone from bowsite, who I feel like I've known and followed for years. Messages sent back and forth for years. Starting cold turkey would make it tough, and there would have to be a lot of interviewing going on. A deadline makes it tougher. Internet dating seems to work for a lot of people, but there isn't a finite deadline.

Half of it is going to depends on how comfortable you feel on your judge of character and interviewing skills.

Any major hunt, or out-of-province hunt one of my essential CRUCIAL characteristics of the guy, is that he's going to have to be as happy for me if I kill one and he doesn't and vica versa. Anything less and you're asking for trouble.

04-Feb-19
Adam, I could be happy for you if you kill something. As long as it's understood I kill something first and your's must be smaller.

That and NO spooning!

04-Feb-19
I like to check the initials after their name. EMT, MD, RN, RPh, DO, DD, DVM....I have a better chance of getting out alive.

LPA, JD, LLM, Atty, JSD or PhD....I might have a better outcome with the troopers.

CPA or RD....I don't think so. I just don't want someone counting the pennies or the calories in camp.

Bonus points for LMT.......

04-Feb-19
That’s funny Kevin. And good advice

04-Feb-19
Kev what about TBM?

04-Feb-19
It’s hard to tell how the other party will react to you being a success as well.

APauls is right that, you want somebody who hopes for you as much as their self. Sometimes, though, a guy can seem really level headed but once you kill and he’s not on the board, the attitude can come out.

Trial run with folks, I say, is the way to know for sure.

05-Feb-19
Kevin, you always offer great advice. What about BS and MBA?

As Kevin stated, it is very different on a drop hunt. Some guys just can't take the inability to jump in the truck and go home or to Walmart!

Great advice offered above!

06-Feb-19
Hunting partners who aren't willing to spend a couple extra bucks for a better hunt pull down the success. Pick your hunting partner based at least partly on who can keep up with you physically, mentally and with the pocketbook. If your buddy always wants to go a little cheaper it will keep you from getting all you can from your experience. Sometimes we just have to go it alone. Just my advice.

06-Feb-19
"Kevin, you always offer great advice. What about BS and MBA?"

BS is standard for any moose camp or partner, lol. As you know I've hunted with a couple of MBA guys (we won't name names) and it was superb. I just take on the roll of administrative assistant and camp manager. Higher maintenance, but they usually travel well. :D

• Sitka Gear