Treeline 04-Feb-19
kadbow 04-Feb-19
Tennhunter 04-Feb-19
Treeline 04-Feb-19
Huskers71 05-Feb-19
Dpat 06-Feb-19
Treeline 06-Feb-19
04-Feb-19
I am look to take my son on a elk hunting next year in Colorado if we can get drawn. He has 3 points, I am not looking for a persons honey hole. Just wondering what unit to look at. Not looking for trophy just numbers he will be happy with any elk being his first elk hunt.

04-Feb-19
Are you looking to go DIY or guided? Are you willing to pay to get onto private property?

04-Feb-19
DIY and probably public land.

04-Feb-19
Don't do it, the minute you hear that first bugle you are hooked. Then it is years and years of trying to outsmart them.

Terry

04-Feb-19
Archery or rifle?

04-Feb-19
How many points do you have? 3+? Which units can you draw? That narrows your search down quite a bit

04-Feb-19
One of my first elk experiences was at a ranch in CO. Awesome first elk experience it is a diy hunt and over the counter tags but you are on private as well as access to public and a decent cabin and other creature comforts but you will have to hunt hard at least the elk aren’t pressured to death and the rancher loves to see you buy bear tags as he has a problem with them messing with his livestock. Like I said without giving to much info great beginners elk hunt if you’d like pm me and I’ll fill you in and good luck.

04-Feb-19
That sounds like a great option, Tennhunter. After a few times doing that and building points, there might be some other good draw options open up. Definitely want to go somewhere with your son where he will get some opportunities!

05-Feb-19
Thank you guys for the in put. He will probably bow hunting but rifle is a back up choice. I have bow hunted Colorado 15 years ago, but we did not see alot of elk but I did come home with a nice 5x6 bull. I just want to give him more opportunities since he is a young Hunter. He would harvest a cow or a bull.

06-Feb-19
Tennhunter, PM sent with some questions for you

06-Feb-19
Would really want to get him on somewhere that you will get to see plenty of elk and have fun. Lots of OTC that can be rough and even some of the draw hunts. Look for a target rich environment!

• Sitka Gear