Jaquomo 02-Mar-19
Matt 02-Mar-19
Zbone 03-Mar-19
Ziek 03-Mar-19
Zbone 04-Mar-19
05-Feb-19

Zbone's Link
"Runner kills attacking mountain lion on Colorado trail"

" https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/runner-kills-attacking-mountain-lion-on-colorado-trail/ar-BBTbIFO?ocid=spartandhp"

05-Feb-19
Crazy story... I'd like to interview the guy. and lucky...

05-Feb-19
I'm guessing he had a gun. Good thing he had some way to defend himself!

05-Feb-19
This is literally 10 minutes from my house. Crazy.

05-Feb-19
Curious to hear the rest of the story. Juvenile could weigh 40-50 pounds?

05-Feb-19
He killed it with a pair of nunchucks he was running with.

05-Feb-19
His name is Chuck Norris...

05-Feb-19
I can look out my window at home or work and see this place.

05-Feb-19
He heard about the pauls brothers coyote kill and said hold my beer.

05-Feb-19
I heard his tiny, furry dog killed the cat.

Dog got stuck in his throat and he choked to death.

05-Feb-19

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo

05-Feb-19
I know someone that has some inside knowledge into the deal. Apparently he killed it with his bare hands. Savage. I read elsewhere that it weighed around 80lbs.

05-Feb-19
Midwest, Hilarious!!!!

05-Feb-19
Ya that is what he did bare hands is all he had.

05-Feb-19
Killed a lion with his bare hands? I figured he had to have killed it with his GIANT BALLS. Wow!

05-Feb-19
""The runner did everything he could to save his life," said Mark Leslie, CPW's Northeast region manager. "

-Yup. Appears that was the case.

05-Feb-19
Good for that guy!

05-Feb-19
Dude gets my respect. Live or die situation, he’s on my team. I hope anyways.

05-Feb-19
It would be ironic if the guy was a member of some 'save the mountain lions' organization.

05-Feb-19
Rear naked choke probably.

05-Feb-19
That is Awesome. That guy gets a medal. Guessing he choked it to death? I can't even imagine choking out a cat when all 20 claws are windmilling. Wow, just wow.

05-Feb-19
I bet he never has to buy a drink in a bar again! When guys start comparing scars...

Toxic male crowd will be along shortly, lol.

05-Feb-19

Bake's Link
Wow. Bare hands.

This made me recall the story of Carl Akeley, who killed a leopard bare-handed. Story at link from a quick google search

05-Feb-19
That was a hell of a read, Bake Thanks for posting that. Brutal!

05-Feb-19
I watched one of our barn cats destroy and kill a mink once. Crazy fast and crazy strong. When I saw the cat posturing the mink, I thought he was a goner.

I'd like to think that I could over-power a large dog or wolf with my wrestling skills, but a large cat... no way! Crazy lucky to take a cats back and choke it out. If I could get on it's back and get both legs in maybe... but how do you keep your own head away from those front claws. Wow, just wow.

05-Feb-19
Wow we need to slow down here. We are only getting one side of the story. How do we know the man didn't attack the mountain lion.

05-Feb-19
I ride my assist fat bike on that same trail. I also carry a .380. I'm wondering now how I would get it deployed if one jumped on my back while riding. That guy must be an animal.

05-Feb-19
I’ve heard of choking chickens but dayaaam a cougar!

05-Feb-19
He must've been running a steep downhill to be able to pick up enough speed to kill one.

05-Feb-19
That guy probably coughs up hair balls :>)

05-Feb-19

cnelk's Link
Lou - no firearms allowed there - not sure about CCP?

05-Feb-19
As a runner, I doubt he was carrying a weapon. When I run, anything you carry is extra weight. If running trails, I would carry a water bottle and a gel or two. Nothing that could kill a cat.

I would love to hear/read an interview from the guy also. I doubt Runners World would publish it. (Too many PC reader types who would be upset the cat died.) Maybe Trail Runner mag would?

05-Feb-19
Why do you even go jogging when your ball$ are that big ?

05-Feb-19
Crazy. I guess the one advantage you have against a juvenile puma is size and could probably throw it around a bit and position to choke it, but man would you take a tearing up with those claws either way. Hopefully the guy will give a detailed story.

05-Feb-19
LOL Ohio that's too good.

05-Feb-19
I wonder when the cat whisperers are going to come out and defend the cat?

05-Feb-19
Cnelk, I'd rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6. If one of those young park ranger gals figures out I'm carrying, her hand will already be down in my shorts.

05-Feb-19
come on Z barebow, I've eaten some of those gels, they could kill a cat they are gross enough :-)

05-Feb-19
Interesting that a runner gets attacked again. I know in the past, two people who were running up a trail, were attacked and killed by a mt lion here in Colorado. One in the RMNP and the other a High School runner near Idaho Springs. Another runner out of Boulder was near tree line and attacked, had 49 stiches, and got away after stabbing the lion with a penknife.

05-Feb-19
The common denominator in all the mtn lion attacks is all the people were running....

Conclusion = Running is bad :)

05-Feb-19
Pretty sure that one trumps the Pauls coyote stomping episode!

Can’t imagine how he could get around that back of a cat to stay away from the slice-n-dice claws and fangs!

Wonder how tore up he got?

Shot one in a cave once with a longbow and that was spooky enough!

05-Feb-19
Somebody got dragged off a bike in Boulder County Open Space a couple years ago. Will probably knows details of that one.

Hopefully all nonresidents will read this and understand that its VERY, VERY DANGEROUS in the Colorado mountains. Much safer in other states.

05-Feb-19
This only confirms my suspicions that trail runners are, in fact, insane people...

05-Feb-19
I have already saw one animal right whackadoodle claim that this reeks of a set up by the CPW to make the lethal removal of lions in Glenwood Springs seem like a good idea. Seriously claiming this was a set up story by CPW...

05-Feb-19
Cats naturally chase things that are running. I’m glad those things aren’t found in eastern US. It must be damn eerie walking in the dark.

05-Feb-19
Killed him with his MAGA hat. U A know them white wing running extremist place Gillette razor blades in the leading edge of the bills of the caps.

05-Feb-19
Maybe the cat died of heart failure when the runner told the cat "squeal like a pig".

05-Feb-19
you guys are silly, I have choked a few cougars when I was younger

05-Feb-19
Likely deaf though.Clanging brass will do it.

05-Feb-19
"The common denominator in all the mtn lion attacks is all the people were running.... Conclusion = Running is bad :) "

Running is healthy as long as you abide by a couple of rules.

1-Run with friends as a safety measure.

2-And run with people who are fatter and slower than you!

05-Feb-19
You figure how long it would take to choke out and animal of that size, even at 80 lbs. That cat wouldn't just be laying there letting you do it. It would be going at 100% to get you or get away. You are talking an animal that drags a full grown deer just holding on with its teeth. The more you think about it the more amazing it really is, this guy was able to do it bare handed, even with the adrenaline running. DANNY

05-Feb-19
The female lion that killed the kid in the RMNP only weighed 80 pounds 1998- 9. The cat was tracked down with hounds and killed. Actually, one of our own was the Houndsman that was called to the area from Granby Colorado. Maybe Lyle can chime in.

05-Feb-19

Zbone's Link
Thought you guys were joking about choking, but no, see linky - "The cat died from suffocation, state wildlife officials have determined."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-47136308

05-Feb-19
Probably jammed his arm down its throat to choke it, classic move.

Seriously though, I really want to get the detailed story of how all this went down. Of course a video would be best, but I would definitely settle for a story!! The thing about it, is I can't even understand how it would all play out. Choking an animal is NOT easy and it takes quite a bit of time for it all to transpire, all the time of which you need to overpower the animal, crazy stuff, I'm guessing this wasn't a spandex wearing type jogger.

05-Feb-19
Unreal! What the story failed to mention was that the man works full-time as a ninja. Well done, sir!

05-Feb-19
This is Lyle. I was the Houndsman that put my hounds on the cat that did kill the 11year old boy in RMNP.The boy was also running and putting nuts along the trail for chipmunks He was small running and kneeling down all not good thing to do in lion country.

05-Feb-19
If this had happened in California, the guy would already be under arrest

05-Feb-19
MPauls. I resent that spandex comment. When I run, I wear spandex under my shorts to prevent inner thigh chaffing. ;)

05-Feb-19
"Cnelk, I'd rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6. If one of those young park ranger gals figures out I'm carrying, her hand will already be down in my shorts."

Better hope those x-rays made it to the park rangers Lou. I can hear the comments "Yeah, that's not a gun. I've seen the xrays."

05-Feb-19

switchback's Link
Here is video of how the attack started... I think anyone of us would fight to the death after this.......

05-Feb-19
^Yeah, just picture something 10x that size clamped on your inner thigh!

05-Feb-19
I call BS on him killing it with his barehands.

I read the story originally and there was no mention of him killing it. And today it’s all over the news that he killed it.

Can you imagine trying to choke out a lion. It would claw the hell out of you.

05-Feb-19
Why don't we just wait for the official report from authorities.

Ahaha, just kidding!!!

05-Feb-19
Dunno - trail runners typically don't carry deadly weapons. Maybe it choked on a wad of spandex? I'm sure it will be discussed at the CPW roundtable tonight. Mark Leslie, the Regional Director who issued the CPW statement, will be there.

05-Feb-19
This just in: "Colorado Parks and Wildlife officials confirmed the man's account of the attack through further investigation and examining the juvenile mountain lion. A necropsy was performed Monday night on the mountain lion to determine if it was sick or injured, which might have prompted the attack. CPW officials said they expect to have results  of the necropsy either today or Wednesday".

05-Feb-19
If some of you guys didn’t read the link that Bake attached .... scroll back up . It wasn’t until I read thru it that I realized I hadn’t taken a breath in over a minute. This guy kills a leopard with his bare hands .....it’s a great story

05-Feb-19
Being a millennial lion it prob had an anophylactic reaction to latex.

05-Feb-19
The CPW always does a neocropsy in these situation to determing if the cat was "sick, etc." I would expect, In 99% of the tests, the lion was healthy and just out hunting.

05-Feb-19
Update:

Test results in. Lion did not have rabies.

05-Feb-19
The lion i killed in RRNP a 88 # female that was pregnant for what that is worth. ??

05-Feb-19
Most likely the young cat made a somewhat clumsy/exploratory attack that gave the runner all the chance he needed...

Holy CRAP.

05-Feb-19

SteveB's Link
List of Mountain Lion attacks

05-Feb-19
"you guys are silly, I have choked a few cougars when I was younger "

Yeah, but we know they weren't juveniles because you would have been outrun.

05-Feb-19
When you cut off the blood going to the brain , you will pass out quickly because of oxygen not going to the brain. May have been what happen to the mountain lion.

05-Feb-19
When you cut off the blood going to the brain , you will pass out quickly because of oxygen not going to the brain. May have been what happen to the mountain lion.

05-Feb-19
Sure thing, Cap - We’ll just round up a troublemaker from Glenwood Springs and let you show us how quick that goes...

05-Feb-19
Truly exceptional.

Amazing that he lived through this fight. I saw a clip that said he did Brazilian jujitsu, but even if he was a world champion, amazing to win in that fight! Cats are damn tough in a scuffle! There’s a reason for the saying that they have 9 lives!

I had a tussle with a bull elk once and am damn glad to still be alive, I would never want to get in a fight with a mountain lion!

05-Feb-19
Are charges being considered for out of season and no license?

Will he get possession of the lion and get a full mount? Inquiring minds want to know.

05-Feb-19
Hell, CPW should mount it for him!

05-Feb-19
SteveB - That list is incomplete because I remember an attack in either 1998 or 99 Roxborough State Park south east of Denver when I lived out there...

05-Feb-19
At the CPW BGSS meeting tonight, the investigating person talked a little about this circumstance

Since its an ongoing investigation, not many details are being released, but a few were

The runner fought and killed the cat, then went to his vehicle and drove himself to the hospital, where the emergerncy personnel then contacted the CPW.

Then the CPW went to the incident site and recovered the cat, but by this time it had already been partially eaten by other predators, so evidence of sex of the cat is still being determined, because there wasnt a lot left.

It was also mentioned that the runner should be given full support for his efforts in doing the right thing - once he noticed the cat he made himself 'large' threw rocks, etc, and then fought it when it attacked.

Stay tuned for more news to be released

05-Feb-19
It will be very interesting to find out how he actually killed it. I can see both knees on it's chest, while the cat is on it's side, then one hand holding it's head down and the other controlling the hind legs. Straddling it's back maybe, sitting on it. The cat would literally shred your hands and forearms if you tried a choke hold. Fist down the throat?

I'm sure we'll know in a few days.

05-Feb-19
OK, OK, I attended the CPW meeting tonight in Ft Collins and the Area Wild Manager explained what had occured, per their investigaton.

1. Young mt lion under 100 pounds. When they examined the area of the attack,(hard time finding the dead cat) they found the lion but it had been chewed on by other preditators, birds, so the sex or the exact weight was not known. The man attacked, walked out and then drove him self to the hospital and then the CPW was notified. They interviewed him and confirmed his story after all of the facts were examined.

2. The man was running down the trail when he felt something was coming up behind him. He turned, and saw the lion. He did every thing he could to distract the cat, held his ground, raised his arms high, yelled at the cat to back off, but the cat came at him with claws and teeth. The man confronted the cat with rocks and sticks and then defended his life by choking the cat in body to body contact.

The CPW staff commended the man for his bravery and his ability to defend himself.

No hide to be mounted. Man will not be able to keep any parts of the lion. I am sure when he looks apon himself and sees some of the scars, thet alone will provide the memories of a life time.

06-Feb-19
From news site: “He jumped on the animal’s back and choked it to death with his hands, arms, and feet, Ferrell said.”

MMA interpretation: After slipping a reversal on the back jumping cat the Man applies a Figure four leg lock around the cats midsection and a rear naked choke hold that put the cat to sleep and eventually death due to the cat failing to tap out or a ref being present to break the locked combatants.

No CCTV cameras in the area?

06-Feb-19
Wow, the dude must be a real BADASS... Can't even imagine holding and choking a wild cougar, or any cat for that matter... Bet dude has some major scratches...

06-Feb-19
Huntcell, no cameras. This is a large and pretty rugged place. The cat actually attacked him face-on after he had followed all the rules (making himself large, yelling, throwing rocks). More will come out about the details, but the CPW officer involved in the investigation said he "went Chuck Norris" on the cat.

06-Feb-19
Is it possible the man was playing Abba really loud as he ran?? And the cougar just wanted it to STOP!!!

06-Feb-19
"CPW officer involved in the investigation said he "went Chuck Norris" on the cat"

Damn, that's hardcore.... Guess when in survival mode anything can happen...

06-Feb-19
I married a cougar. She sometimes gets mad at me when I leave the toilet seat up, but there have been no attacks yet.

06-Feb-19
I love it. This felka is straight up tough guy.

Where’s ‘bou and the other crowd that says it’s useless to fight for your life? Or, the life of a fellow hunter?

Sticks and stones might not break any bones, but a rear choke hold will kill you. :^)

06-Feb-19
Be an interesting fight to see.

06-Feb-19
Huntcell, what I'm worried about is what if the cat DID tap and he didn't have the decency to let go?

06-Feb-19
Matt, touche'

06-Feb-19
Wow. I watched one chase a bull elk last year, then sit and stare at me at about 4 to 5 hundred yards. Never in my wildest dreams can i imagine going it's on mother #@$#^. I hope that last resort adrenaline kicks in ..

06-Feb-19

DL's embedded Photo
DL's embedded Photo
I was reading about this and can’t believe the amount of people that said it didn’t need to be killed. My hope is all those people get to face that same situation. The problem is they live in a city and have never seen wildlife. Here’s a picture of him coming home after killing the lion.

06-Feb-19

Bake's Link
Another link about another interesting cat story, this time an African lion killed by a knife. . . .

06-Feb-19
Lucky it was not a mature full grown mt lion as the outcome would/may have been different for the runner. There is a vidoeo on Youtube that some of you may have seen, showing a mature mt lion attacking and bring down a mature (healthy) 250 pound mule deer buck. Top predator for sure.

In 25 years of hunting in Colorado, I have only see one mt lion, and then one in Arizona a few years back. I am sure a few more saw me. my best, Paul

06-Feb-19
Dang Paul, I have seen at least 12 lions without dogs in Colorado and 4 more with. I just can’t find the bears!

See a lot more in Arizona! Saw four adult lions from one spot last time I was down there and several more singles scattered around. The year before, saw a female with two kittens and even a Mexican red wolf!

06-Feb-19
Hmm... I’ll have to remember that if I get jumped by a grizzly bear while elk hunting.

06-Feb-19
IM NOT SURE THIS IS GONNA WORK ON A GRIZZ LOL

06-Feb-19
a grizzly stands no chance with this dude.

06-Feb-19
Much less if he has a budy with a gun....

06-Feb-19
I don't think people need to go straight to Grizz to one up this guy. 300lb Black bear would be sufficient. I feel bad for my brother as he was only on the coyote pedestal for a mere month.

06-Feb-19
Hell Adam, I would be very impressed if you or your brother would take it on yourselves to take on even a 100 pound black bear!

Even one just waking up and skinny...

Would make for a hell of an awesome video and we would all love that show here on the Bowsite:-)

My money is on the bear for a 1 on 1 but thinking the two of you might have a chance!

Would definitely provide a chance to regain the title;-)

06-Feb-19

Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo
To keep things in prospective of both the condition of the cat and the runner...8^)

06-Feb-19
There is a video of some redneck killing a bear with a knife. He hides a few feet from a barrel on it's side, with bait in it, and when the bear is deep in the barrel he runs out and stabs it.

06-Feb-19
Oh No, now a woman in Idaho held onto a Mountain Lion till her husband got a gun and killed it. Do you suppose the cat started freaking when he heard those brass balls clanging as she grabbed the cat.

06-Feb-19
So there’s the key - the guy at least knew what was coming!

There was a saying among the frontiersmen - when wishing to recognize exceptional toughness, strength & grit - that a man could “whip his weight in wildcats”...

And this guy probably has come closer than anyone who ever lived to tell the tale....

Although there was a woman in Canada who attacked a young cat like that after it had dragged her child off of a horse... she got the upper hand and was last seen alive & conscious on top of the cat; she had it pinned underneath her and she ordered her kids to go for help.

Nobody knows how the tables got turned, and she never made it to the hospital...

I sure hope this guy gives a good, detailed statement on how he got the fight to go his way....

06-Feb-19
You can be sure the full story will be told. He's already getting pitches for book deals and movies, and has received marriage proposals. He is out of the hospital now and likely sitting in a pub in Fort Collins with friends, having a micro. Or four.

06-Feb-19
It's not the size of the dog in the fight....but the size of the fight in the dog!

06-Feb-19

Caddisflinger's Link
And then there's this idaho lady. Yesterdat she busted up a dog fight only to find out it was a dog and cat fight. Good thing her husband was close by to shoot the critter

06-Feb-19

Caddisflinger's Link
IDFG press release...

06-Feb-19
“He's already getting pitches for book deals and movies, and has received marriage proposals. ”

I recall a pretty good micro in Ft C.... that was before I was in the business and now I don’t recall the name, but it’d be a great place to hang out and tell a tale like that!

Short book! LOL

06-Feb-19
My Mother in law had an interesting one last year in Crawford, CO.

She had let the dogs out at night and they were going nuts. She opened the front door and saw the dogs in the light out front and they were barking like crazy so she grabbed a broom that was by the door to threaten them and get them to shut up.

She saw movement as she came out the door and hit at it with the broom. It was a young lion backed into the front porch by the dogs!

She swatted at it with the broom and it jumped off over the dogs and into the dark. She didn’t realize what it was till it bounded away and she saw the long tail.

The dogs about knocked her over running into the house. She slammed the door and yelled at my father in law to get a gun. He got up and got a rifle but the cat was gone.

The next night they lost a dog and another the night after.

They keep a shotgun and a rifle loaded and ready by the door now.

06-Feb-19
My guess, cat was bad off and not healthy. I’m being told another cat and kitten in the area. My guess, this was the other kitten, bad off, last effort to eat and it turned out bad.

80lb healthy Lion would be more than anyone could handle.

06-Feb-19
Does make you wonder what was eating off of the dead cat.

But seeing the cat come at you would sure be a plus....

06-Feb-19
The CPW investigator said he was able to grab a rock during the attack and beat it in the head while they were fighting on the ground. Might have gotten a good lucky shot to the hippocampus (thank you, Christine Blasey Ford!!) and stunned it enough to get the upper hand. Someone who supposedly knows the fella said he practices Brazilian Jujitsu, but that's only heresay. The CPW folks are withholding many of the details until the official report is issued following the full investigation. Guess we'll find out.

06-Feb-19
I bet this guy was on Bowsite and saw the praise Apauls got for the bare-handed coyote kill, turned to his buddy and said "hold my beer..."

07-Feb-19
The correct way to kill a mountain lion is to catch it in mid air and then bite it in the neck- I saw it on Twilight:) JayInOz

07-Feb-19
I heard it was a small cat. 40 lb range. Guy was able to stomp on its throat crushing it’s airway.

Makes sense if it was a kitten. No way someone could choke out a full grown cat

07-Feb-19
Ermine, not sure where you're hearing any of that but CPW is still estimating it as a yearling at around 80 lbs, but the guts were eaten by the time they got there so they can't get a true weight. Also said this morning they believe it died from a combination of blunt force trauma (the rock) and suffocation. Nothing about stomping on its throat. The rest of the story will come out.

07-Feb-19
http://kgab.com/another-cougar-attack-in-wyoming-raises-alarms/

Another attack in Wyoming! Wow what is this world coming too

07-Feb-19
This will probably strike a lot of people as being too far off the wall to be taken as a serious question, but…

You know how kittens go limp when their mothers pick them up by the scruff of the neck, right?

Do cats ever outgrow that reflex? And if so, do you think that you could thwart an attack by a cougar by grabbing it by the scruff of the neck and pulling it away from you that way?

It seems entirely too good to be true, but that would be one hell of a slick way to protect yourself from an animal that could kill you as easily as one of these can…

Maybe we could nominate a few of these crossbow supporters to be the Crash Test Dummies for the experiment?

FWIW, I’ve also come across recommendations that you grab hold of their tongue and/or shove your fist down their throat. They don’t like either one, and the idea (I gather) is to get them to divert their efforts from Attack to Escape.

If I ever ran into this issue, I’d be willing to try ANYTHING, but there’s a lot to be said for knowing what the odds are for each approach...

08-Feb-19
GF - You bring up a good point of mothers carrying kittens... Interesting theory, but I ain't gonna be one to test it...8^) Any takers out there?...8^) Make sure you have somebody film it on video...8^)))

08-Feb-19
GF I reckon the result would be the same as trying to stop a big chainsaw by grabbing the chain with your hands. Highly colourful and entertaining but failing to achieve the desired outcome:) JayInOz

08-Feb-19
This story is crazy! It was on a mma forum that I read as well, rumor was that he was trained in BJJ and he killed it in a rear naked choke..... Probably sponsored by Gracie jujitsu :) I once encountered one on a mountain in Montana as he came down the logging road I was hunting on, I have been known as shartboy ever since :O

08-Feb-19
Must be quite the investigation. The guy has been out of the hospital for days, and not a peep from the him or the CPW.

Charges pending?

08-Feb-19
Charges?? For what? Hunting out of season? Baiting Cougar with spandex in CO?

08-Feb-19
Maybe the runner is filing charges against the CPW for not properly posting signage for mtn lion activity in the area...

You just never know

08-Feb-19

ND String Puller's Link
Oh hell no

08-Feb-19
They closed all the trails in Horsetooth and Lory yesterday due to "unusually high mountain lion activity". There is ALWAYS high lion activity in there. Its saturated and there is no lion hunting. They just don't bite people. Usually...

08-Feb-19
ND String Puller - Dude looks like he's done that before... Even a special pole for it...

08-Feb-19
Dude needs to put this on his resume and on his Tinder profile. It will open every door he ever wants to get into.

08-Feb-19
ND, that video just made me realize how incredible killing one bare-handed truly is.....wow.

08-Feb-19
Grab em by the pussy

08-Feb-19
"somethin's wrong with HIS medulla oblongata!"

08-Feb-19
I will confirm what Ermine stated, concerning what he heard, ie, the young cat was near 40 pounds. I got this info from a reliable souces with connections with the CPW.

08-Feb-19
Interesting, Paul. Sure hope they release more details but they may not have any more details than they are publicly reporting.

I guess when the guy is telling the story in a bar he doesnt have to say it was only 40 lbs..

08-Feb-19
Besides getting into elk killing shape, now have to get into lion killing shape.

Along with bear spray, carry a suitable lion killing rock.

08-Feb-19
Lou, there is no doubt that the News Papers went with the miminal info provided by CPW and then to create a more sensational headline, added some more of their own "facts" to attract the reading public. I really doubt if we hear much more on this subject as it already is, Old News.

08-Feb-19
Well at least, this Mt. Lion was not famous and named. Thank GOD for that. Can you imagine the comments and "NEWS" around that if it had.?

08-Feb-19
Even a 40 lb cat would tear you a new one, but I can see a grown man winning in the end. I once tried to release a 25 lb bobcat from a leghold with just a blanket (ended up needing a plastic bin) and I seriously thought that it was going to kill me. Cats are ferocious and amazingly fast.

I wonder if there's nothing public from him yet because he's a PETA-type and doesn't want to be known as the Fort Collins Kitten Killer and just wants this to go away.

Either way, the will to survive takes over and whether this guy is a true badass or a pussy-cat himself, on that day, he was a badass and a killer and killed something that was at least big enough to think that it could take down a grown man...

08-Feb-19
That dude was more than lucky that the cat was a juvenile. If had been a full grown tom the outcome could have easily been the other way around.

08-Feb-19
I tried to hold my wifes 15 lb cat down while she clipped a chunk of matted hair off his back. I was barely able to keep it under control. Now, I suppose it might have been different if I was allowed to choke it to death--but she wouldn't let me. But, still, that thing put up a hell of a fight--can't imagine triple that size. Still an impressive feat in my opinion even if only 40 lbs.

08-Feb-19
Cat musta only had one left

08-Feb-19

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
YOU LOOKING AT ME?????? I'LL SCRATCH YOUR EYES OUT AND THEN EAT YOU AND THEN SPIT YOU OUT. I'AM BAD ASS!
Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
YOU LOOKING AT ME?????? I'LL SCRATCH YOUR EYES OUT AND THEN EAT YOU AND THEN SPIT YOU OUT. I'AM BAD ASS!

08-Feb-19
I think the guy hasn't gone public with the story yet because he's a little embarrassed. He went all hulk when the lion attacked and after he choked it out he chewed the lions gonads off and ate them. That's why CPW can't figure out the lions sex yet.

Personally, I won't judge him. When a guy goes all feral to fight for his life you have to give him a little leeway.

09-Feb-19
Guys, it’s a lot more fun acting like the dude is a tough guy, then to point out why he didn’t die.

Point is, everyone here knows he got lucky. That the cat was small, etc..... And, that the media likely added their own facts to make it more readable.

Give the ole boy his due. He was attacked and came out on top. Be it coon or hippo, it’s just something that has a great ending.

09-Feb-19
Anybody know - is this guy still in hospital?

By now am sure they have him stitched up, likely dealing with infections... They say if you survive mauling, infection can/will kill ya???

09-Feb-19
Probably a good idea to put up the additional signage, though… A juvenile that size may not have been dispersing, so maybe Momma and a sibling or two are still around there and potentially still curious about What’s For Dinner.

Personally, I am still really curious about what ate off of the dead cat.

09-Feb-19
"really curious about what ate off of the dead cat."

Yeah, me too...

Probably them damn coyotes...8^)

09-Feb-19
He's out of the hospital and doing well. The area is still closed as of yesterday due to high lion activity. But... there is always "high lion activity" there because its saturated with lions, no hunting of deer or anything else, and it's winter and this is winter range for deer.

So much of the closure, etc.. is just a show for the dumbass urban general public. Next month there will still be high lion activity but people will calm down and get back to worrying about important stuff like climate change and Medicare for all.

09-Feb-19
"just a show". So true Jaq. You can still hike to your heart's content right next door in Lory State Park. The only Lory trails that are closed are the ones that link up to Horsetooth. But of course everyone knows the cats will certainly observe the park boundaries and stay out of Lory. HA!

09-Feb-19
No doubt choking out an 80 pounder would be more impressive. Still I’ve trapped plenty of 30-40 pound bobcats and although I’m sure I could come out alive, I wouldn’t want to pick a fight with any of them.

09-Feb-19
Jaquomo - Cool, thanks for the update, glad the dude is doing alright...

I lived in Highlands Ranch for a while, I kinda know their politics... Hey, don't Califoricate Colorado...8^)

09-Feb-19
Wonder if he was listening to the Nuge wail out "Cat Scratch Fever" on his Ipod.

Or maybe "Eye of the Tiger".

09-Feb-19
I remember the time years ago when my uncle stuffed their cat headfirst into a cowboy boot and cut the cats balls off himself just to save a vet bill. I had a hell of a time hanging onto that boot, especially when he put iodine on. Cat came back 3 days later and was his best buddy after that - go figure.

09-Feb-19
Can’t get stories like this anywhere else!!

Love Bowsite.

10-Feb-19
I bet he had a mechanical head in his pockets - for just an occasion like that...

Or am I the only guy doing this???

10-Feb-19
I did the same to my cat years ago. Had some chloroform on a rag in the boot. My wife helped. She refused on the most recent cat. Eyes were really big after the event. Both the wive’s and the cats

10-Feb-19
NEVER TRUST A CAT!

https://youtu.be/HrgbZlE7q7k

11-Feb-19

Glunt@work's embedded Photo
Glunt@work's embedded Photo
Since this happened I've found myself discussing lions with folks quite a bit (I'm also a few miles from where it happened). Many have no idea how many lions are around. The last management plan estimates 200 lions for just this DAU (6 hunting units). At 40 deer a year per lion, thats 8,000 deer a year or 20+ per day. Total archery deer harvest in the entire state is 3000. Cats are busy.

11-Feb-19
Wow, 40 deer a year...

Hey Glunt, what is "DAU", I know GMU is Game Management Unit, but haven't heard of DAU until now...

11-Feb-19
Data Analysis Unit.

They group a collection of adjoining GMUs together and each DAU has its own management plan put together.

11-Feb-19
Thanks Glunt...

12-Feb-19
Wonder what the story was? Did anyone ever see or hear about an interview? Some of you Colorado guys have to be connected.

28-Feb-19
https://www.yahoo.com/news/mountain-lion-killed-colorado-trail-203621816.html

01-Mar-19
Just saw on the news it was a 24 pound cat

01-Mar-19

LINK's Link
Ermines link. Estimated 35-40 pound live weight 3-4 month old kitten.

01-Mar-19
I’ve been attacked by a house cat before and I sure as heck know I wouldn’t want anything to do with any mountain lion no matter the size!

01-Mar-19
24 lbs. of spinning razor blades and needles. No thanks!

I'd still buy him a beer.

01-Mar-19
When this story was just starting to be reported, I suspected from all the lack of facts that he probably was attacked by and stomped a 20# cub, but decided not to speculate, and wait for the facts to come out. I'm not saying he did anything wrong. He did what he had to do. But even when the facts came out, they were sensationalized. Killing an attacking cougar cub with your bare hands would not be fun, but it's NOT the same as fighting off and surviving a cougar attack.

01-Mar-19
I understand he was interviewed on the Today TV show. Anyone see that?

01-Mar-19
24 pounds left after a good portion of it was eaten.

My buddy killed a huge 35 lb bobcat a couple days ago, and that thing could tear a human apart if it wanted to.

01-Mar-19
The "hero" strangles a kitten....now that`s a headline.

01-Mar-19
Franklin, that was almost exactly the news headline here locally in the paper a couple days ago. Cringeworthy.

01-Mar-19
I agree I wouldn’t want to fight a wildcat of any size. That said there’s a difference in the ferocity of a 40 pound grown dog and a 40 pound puppy of a large breed dog. I don’t think comparing a mature male bobcat at 40# to a 40# lion kitten is a good comparison. Again I want nothing to do with either but let’s not all think this guy killed a lion even remotely close to maturity. Had that cat even weighed 80# the outcome likely would have been different.

01-Mar-19
"The "hero" strangles a kitten....now that`s a headline." "...that was almost exactly the news headline here locally in the paper a couple days ago. Cringeworthy."

Maybe. But's it's more accurate than most reports, including the victim's.

01-Mar-19
I can't believe anyone would go to the lengths this guy did to brag when he knew the cat was less than 45lbs. What happened to the real mountain men that killed bears with knives and wore buckskins instead of tight jogging shorts?

01-Mar-19
“There's still more to this story. Hope it doesn't come out.“

Do tell!

01-Mar-19
Reminds me of those people on Facebook that ask for prayers for there family but say that can’t reveal why..... usually turns out that Suzie broke her arm. ;)

01-Mar-19
I watched the original interview. This guy wasn’t s publicity seeker. He answered questions honestly and wasn’t bragging about it at all. Interested and inquiring public kind of forced him to come forward. 24-40 pounds of cat attacking anyone is something to not to be underrated

01-Mar-19
Quote D Diggler "There's still more to this story. Hope it doesn't come out."

Without trying to be offensive, that's just kind of a bullsh!t thing to post.

01-Mar-19
It wasn't 25 lbs. That was its remains after being scavenged. It was estimated to be 45ish pounds.

A small cat for sure, but still big enough to think it could attack a grown man. You guys saw the pictures of his face, right? He got chewed up some. It certainly explains how a grown man was able to kill the cat and I bet, if it came down to it, that just about any grown man could do the same. Still, he was absolutely justified in killing this thing and anyone of these fruits who says otherwise is most likely a potential hypocrite.

01-Mar-19
He's still one bad mojo in my book. :^)

01-Mar-19
Survival of the fittest. Period

01-Mar-19
I assumed it was a kitten to start with.... an 80 lb cat would make short work of a person. Still couldn't pay me to crawl in with a 40 lb cat, it would still tear your a$$ up although your chance of survival would be higher...

35 lb bobcats kill deer all the time and I doubt very few in here could wrestle a live deer to the ground...lots of tough talkers in here... Not saying the dude is Chuck Norris, and I'd bet he'd tell you the same. He's still fairly lucky to fight his way out...

02-Mar-19
Yea I would be scared to tumble with a bobcat. Would tear the hell out of you

02-Mar-19
Now the national left wing media headline narrative is "orphaned kitten". Jeez, the guy can't catch a break. Almost like he was out looking for a starving orphaned kitten so he could beat it in the head with a rock and stomp its throat. You'd think they might give the guy a break since he is one of "theirs" and not a hunter..

02-Mar-19
Cats have kittens, mountain lions have cubs.

03-Mar-19
If the cat didn't have spots it wasn't a cub/kitten... At 45 pounds doubt it had spots and was pure teeth, claws, and fury...

03-Mar-19
Check your facts Zbone.

"The spots begin to disappear when the cubs reach 2 months of age. By 2 1/2 years of age the cubs will have no spots." At 2 years of age it would have been a lot bigger than 45 #. It was identified in all reports as a juvenile.

04-Mar-19
Well, would like to see pix of the dead cat, am guessing at 45 pound if it did have spots, they were faded... Never heard if it was male or female, if female, it was half grown, and by no means would I consider that a kitten...

• Sitka Gear