SBH 07-Feb-19
TSOV 07-Feb-19
Mule Power 07-Feb-19
TSOV 07-Feb-19
SBH 08-Feb-19
TSOV 08-Feb-19
05-Feb-19

bohunts's Link
Looking to get a big bear this year or maybe next year. Found this place called "Canadian Wilderness Outfitters" in Manitoba that does Black Bear and Polar Bear. Went through some of their photos and it looks like they have some big bears up at their camp. Also started looking into the Arctic hunt/adventure they do with Inuit in the Arctic Circle. Pretty unique gig they have going on.

I've seen a few hunters post in here about their trip with them but curious to get more information before I book. Please share stories/pictures/information below if you could

05-Feb-19
Is it a black bear you’re looking for? Have you checked out Sovereign Adventures booking for Lone Wolf Outfitters in Saskatchewan?

05-Feb-19

Mule Power's Link
Or North Carolina but you might be surprised at the prices. Check out this thread...

05-Feb-19

bohunts's Link
Wow! Those prices are crazy high! Going for Black Bear or possibly Polar Bear. This Manitoba guy is only $3950 for Black Bear. I'd consider other options but this is definitely the best I've found so far

05-Feb-19
You may want to define "big" WRT bears.

05-Feb-19
Was looking at their website... the bears don’t really look overly big... in fact some seem small with deceptive photos

05-Feb-19
Ya mostly small bears with some good ones mixed in. One thing I've learned though about Americans coming up here to hunt bears is that 90% of them are very happy shooting small bears. Outfitters can't help the fact that their clients tag out on day 2 on a 5 footer. It's the honest truth. So while an outfitter may have pics of a lot of small bears, reality is most likely his clients were happy to pull the pin on those animals. And good for them.

05-Feb-19
I've never hunted bears, but I can see what APauls is saying. I could probably tell a monster from a very small bear, but I wouldn't know a decent bear from a great bear. I know about the ears and the "wrinkle" between them, etc. , but in the field stuff happens.....

05-Feb-19
Yeah I see what youre saying APauls. Could be plenty of big bears up there but its all about the hunters choice of which bear they go for. One guy might shoot the first bear he sees and another might wait for that monster he's looking for. Good information appreciate it

05-Feb-19
If your budget is in that $3950 range you should go on Facebook and dearch Sovereign Adventures and look at the size of those bears. I considered a North Carolina hunt but the cost was 6 grand to well over that and also I felt that the Saskatchewan Hunt would be a more enjoyable experience. No doubt NC has monsters though.

05-Feb-19
If you want a chance at a big black bear you need to get a hold of TSI on here

06-Feb-19
Your budget might be limiting your ability to get with somebody that is really focused on getting their clients big bears. The outfitter that is taking a lot of hunters and a few really big animals will normally be a bit cheaper than the outfitter that is taking fewer hunters and bigger animals. That's just the way it goes. You can always hope that you are one of the lucky guys that gets the big one. Ask the really tough questions BEFORE booking. Good luck! We want pics

06-Feb-19
Full time with all respect.4 grand before travel , lodging, tips, tags, taxes, taxidermy and all the odds and ends expenses that come up and always do. And his budget is what’s limiting him from getting a good bear!

06-Feb-19
Do what Mule Power says. They are killing giants at that price point.

06-Feb-19
For big bears you have to hunt where bears are not over-hunted. They need time to get big. Sovereign Adventures is such a place.

06-Feb-19
Excellent points made in post by Apauls. The other photos that never show up are the giant bears that often escape due to poor shooting or pick up on hunters that cant be quiet, calm or patient. I overheard a client tell his buddy that he could easily text sitting down but to facebook he had to stand on the ladder’s seat and wave the phone around above his head for awhile before it would work.

06-Feb-19
Albert at bear masters has big bears he’s just into Manitoba a short drive. I shot a black spring 405 pounds 20 13/16 skull and another bear was over 21 I think he’s at 2700 but you may have to wait a few years to book check out his website

06-Feb-19
If someone thinks there going to shoot a big bear at a certain camp someone better pinch u and wake u up, it could happen but u better be ready to eat your tag if your looking for a 20 inch bear there not behind every tree anywhere. Be patient where ever u go and wait for a big one don’t shoot a little one if u want a big one it may happen maybe not not. Good luck

06-Feb-19
Apauls and Alex is right on!! Also, price also does not matter on whether you get a monster or not. Can pay $4000.00 and still only tag a 200 pounder. or pay a price of $1600.00 and get lucky with a monster.

06-Feb-19
That’s right anyone can wrap a tag around a bear but to get the bear it takes a lot of passing up and a lot of luck. Almost like hunting booner bucks you need all the odds in your favor if you have a hot sow on the bait your odds go way up plan around the rut can be a game changer. When I shot my bear I was in the stand at 2am sat in the dark for three hours he was coming in with hot sow at 7am on camera.

06-Feb-19
All great information guys really appreciate everyones feedback

06-Feb-19
Big thing that made me want to go with this guy was everything is all inclusive with that $3950. Just got to get up there. $3950 seems like a steal for some of the bears I see in his photos and videos

06-Feb-19
There's way more to Bear Hunting than having your objective being " to shoot a big bear". Talk to guys that hunt them a lot and listen to what they say about Bears.

06-Feb-19

Watts's embedded Photo
TSO 2017
Watts's embedded Photo
TSO 2017
Sovereign Adventures for big black bear! This was 20.5" and everyone in camp either killed one close to this or passed on one of this caliber. Smallest bear killed while I was there was 19.5" on the first day, largest was 21.5" and then there was mine which was passed up by one of the hunters in camp. Great camp and unforgettable hunt!

06-Feb-19
Get ahold of Dave cole at TSI. ... pm me if you have any questions

06-Feb-19
Sovereign Adventures price of $3500 includes meals and your license by the way.

One thing I think about hunt prices is that to a degree it can vary by where the outfitter lives, the cost of living, and average income there. Many of the natives 10 hours north of Saskatoon are downright poor. $3500 to them is like 7 grand to the guys owning or leasing land and paying mortgages in North Carolina. There are $2000 bear hunts all over the place. Logistics are a big deal in outfitting too. There’s a huge difference between driving your own vehicle to a bait site and say a boat based hunt in BC or AK.

06-Feb-19
I would also suggest Dave Cole at TSI in New Brunswick, look through the threads and you'll see that he is consistently killing giants.

06-Feb-19

jmail20's embedded Photo
jmail20's embedded Photo

jmail20's Link
Guys, you don't have to go all the way to the arctic circle to shoot a good bear. I've been hunting with Alexis Desjardins and his brother in law Alan MacCarthy for close to 20 years. They hunt the area surrounding Riding Mountain Park where there is no hunting allowed which makes for a great area to hunt. It takes a little bit of luck and more importantly a lot of patience to shoot a good bear. In the attached video my buddy killed this beautiful 400 lb cinnamon that walked in 2 hours into the hunt on the first night. (a little bit of luck) The last bear was a 450 lb black that didn't show up until the last hour of the last night. (a lot of patience) Even if I hadn't gotten that bear I still would have considered the hunt successful. I passed up lots of bears and had the time of my life watching and videoing them. I've killed 200lb bears and 400lb bears and have enjoyed the hunt and the comradery on every one. The best tip I can give anyone looking for a good outfitter is to look at the pictures of the hunters over multiple years on their website. Not the bears, the hunters. If the majority of them are smiling and look happy your on the right track.

06-Feb-19
Jmail20 well said brother!

07-Feb-19
I love that video Joe.....Lots of memories.

07-Feb-19

Busta'Ribs's embedded Photo

Busta'Ribs's Link
Here’s something a little different. I was never a fan of baited bear hunts. Then I learned of a guy in far northern Alberta doing spot/stalk black bear hunts in the fall in grain fields. I did this hunt a few years back and it was unbelievable. We had multiple stalks every day and both my partner and I killed big bears. I even got a wolf as a bonus (albeit with a rifle). The bears are pounding the crops (you can see in the picture above how much damage they can do to a grain field, it’s unbelievable), laying on the fat in preparation for winter, and are very stalkable. And they are huge. Just look at the trophy photos on the outfitters website. You can spend a week sitting on a smelly bait pile dealing with black flies and mosquitoes if you want, but for me, stalking those giant bears in autum in northern Alberta just can not be beat. And you will kill a big one. In my opinion, this is the finest black beat hunt on the planet.

07-Feb-19
Busta, you aint kidding. Just checked their site....those are some BIG bears! Looks like an awesome hunt and with the chance for a wolf tossed in....that's pretty cool.

07-Feb-19

TSOV's embedded Photo
21 13/16 Spring 2018
TSOV's embedded Photo
21 13/16 Spring 2018
I book for Lone Wolf Camps in Far Northern Saskatchewan...They had 3 bears green score over 21” B&C last season....this may be the best Camp in North America to see a 19”+ black bear! $3500 ...contact me we have openings 2019 and 2020!

07-Feb-19
Can’t wait Tom! Looking forward to the hunting but also to meeting everyone.

07-Feb-19
Same Joe !!

08-Feb-19
I’m coming up too Tom! First week of June. First guided hunt for this feller. CAN NOT WAIT!

08-Feb-19
You will have a blast Matt!

• Sitka Gear