huntabsarokee 07-Feb-19
rjlefty3 07-Feb-19
spike78 07-Feb-19
Squash 08-Feb-19
Katahdin 08-Feb-19
DonVathome 09-Feb-19
Eric Vaillancourt 09-Feb-19
05-Feb-19
How are success rates and hunting in the southern part of the state? I know the northern is great - but I am curious about diy public land moose hunting in the south during all seasons including November.

05-Feb-19
The hardest part is drawing one of the tags since Maine is lottery only. I know guys that have been putting in for 35-40 years without ever drawing or, if they are lucky, drew once or twice. I have never hunted much in the southern part of the state but I imagine with a good amount of effort, you should have a decent chance given the sightings I have had hiking in the southern part of the state.

05-Feb-19
All the New England states are cutting their moose tags in half due to tick infestations killing the moose. The days of drawing one are pretty much over for non residents.

05-Feb-19
Still 2500 permits in ME Spike. None last year in VT Lottery and I think 50 in NH.

Don, when you say the southern part of the state, where are you referring to? The lower third or so isn't open any more. The mid coast area has some decent amount of Public land, and pretty good moose populations.

06-Feb-19
Are there any units or hunt dates I should avoid? That is the bottom line. Yes odds are baaaaad. I have been at it almost 20 years and have 70 chances in the draw. I drew Vermont moose a few years ago.

06-Feb-19

prodefiant34's Link
If you're putting in for the moose lottery and get drawn, I would not be concerned at all about avoiding any zones or hunting dates. Maine has a system in place that if you don't like the zone you're drawn in you can try and trade your tag with another person that has drawn in a different zone or date. Also, there are really only two zones in the southwest part of the state that have November dates available to hunt (a few zones that have cow tags that run 2 days into November)

Here is the harvest information for 2017.

06-Feb-19

Julius Koenig's embedded Photo
2017 maine zone 1 bull
Julius Koenig's embedded Photo
2017 maine zone 1 bull
DIY is easy in Maine. I live here and have hunted as far south as zone 8 and 12. If you can, hunt the northern zones. 75% of all maine moose are shot off dirt roads while people Drive around in trucks.

I like 1-6, 11, 7,12, 8.

I usually put in for bull tags only.

The southern zones like 12,13, 14 are harder to access. The 1-6, 7,8,9,10,11 are privately held by timber companies for the most part, but they usually have unrestricted access. In general you can’t use four wheelers in 1,2,4, and 5. But there are a labrynth of logging roads to run your truck on.

07-Feb-19
years ago, and I doubt it has gotten better, the odds of NR drawing in ME were 1:85.

if you applied 85 times you would be drawn once on average.

how old are you and how long to you plan on living and hunting?

07-Feb-19
With the block chances that can be purchased now I am not even sure odds can even be close to figured for a nonresident. Maine NR moose in any of the decent units is like hitting a scratch off jackpot.

07-Feb-19

Kodiak  's embedded Photo
Kodiak  's embedded Photo

07-Feb-19
I just entered. I know odds are low but its relatively cheap. I had 40 bonus points going in to the draw. I picked the early October time frame since will probably be still elk hunting the end of September.

07-Feb-19
I live in Maine and grew up in one of the northern units and now live in one of the southern units.

It depends how you define southern. Basically, anywhere but along the coast you'll probably do well, but they just don't have the numbers vs the NW area to northern half of the state. I think you'd be disappointed to wait 20 years to draw a tag and then struggle to find a moose.

There are some, and it has decent success. But the northern units are far superior, IMO.

07-Feb-19
ark, have you ever drawn?

08-Feb-19
Unless you live in southern ME or know someone who has private property there, And knows where the moose are, i’d stick to the northern units. After 14 years of trying, I drew a bull tag Sept hunt, and hunted the north Maine woods. A diy hunt there would be possible. I Killed a 42” bull.

08-Feb-19
Don: The southern zones do have moose but one is limited by the reduced land areas open for hunting. This can be a problem getting permission to hunt and scouting. It can be done but the work involved in just location is much greater. Good luck

09-Feb-19
Thanks guys! That would be a problem I am happy to have because it means I got a permit!

09-Feb-19
I finally drew last year after 24 years. I hunted unit one and did not see a bull in my zone in an entire week. I saw about 10 cows. Crazy.

I did use a reputable outfitter. I believe every other person in camp tagged out. I did have to leave one day early.

It isn’t quite that easy.

• Sitka Gear