BIGHORN 12-Feb-19
JohnMC 12-Feb-19
WV Mountaineer 12-Feb-19
timex 12-Feb-19
07-Feb-19

Zbone's Link
Gotta know the boundries...

" Hunter convicted of illegal wolf kill in Grand Teton National Park"

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/hunter-convicted-of-illegal-wolf-kill-in-grand-teton-national-park/ar-BBTiSa8?ocid=spartandhp

07-Feb-19
Non knowing where you are while hunting is inexcusable these days...

07-Feb-19
In CO, it always has been!

07-Feb-19
Word is that there are boundary signs ever 25-30 yards. Unless the snow was so deep that they were buried it's hard to believe they didn't know where they were, especially since he's a guide and surely has a GPS.

07-Feb-19
I didn't read the article, but maybe we Bowsite can do a go fund me for his fine? :)

07-Feb-19
I know a guy who killed a wolf,,,, stuck in a trap, the feds wanted nothing to do with it,,, long story short, the fine in the end was 1200.00 and it went away.,..... the whole wolf protection ideology is goofy

07-Feb-19
“Unless the snow was so deep that they were buried it's hard to believe they didn't know where they were...”

THAT is ENTIRELY possible. My wife was on a trail one time near a spot where (according to the map) there should have been an outhouse. That’s when she looked down and saw the vent pipe sticking up out of the snow at her feet....

So missing a sign that might have been a few feet under the snow is fairly understandable, if you ask me. And nothing else that this Hunter Jed has the slightest suggestion of attempting to cover up anything illegal.

On the other hand, it was a very serious mistake on his part, and you could argue that he should have known the area well enough to be aware that he was right on the line.

So it sounds like he made an honest mistake, owned up to it, and is taking his medicine like a Man. That’s really all you can ask of anyone when he makes a mistake.

07-Feb-19
About 25 years ago I was bow hunting up by Cowdrey or on the eastern Flat Tops. There was snow on the ground and I was bugling for elk. In comes a couple of cows and a spike bull. I thought that there would be a big bull following them so I didn't arrow one of them. What was funny about this situation is there were two large white coyotes, at the time I thought they were coyotes but they don't turn white in the winter time. One even walked under the spike bull. I had not seen a wolf until that time and didn't even think that they existed in CO. But, they had to be wolves. If I hadn't been waiting for a big bull to walk by I probably would have shot an arrow into one of them at a distance of 20 yards. Never forgot that situation. I did see a white wolf in Canada two years ago and all I can say is that the two I saw were definitely wolves.

07-Feb-19
Peyote, or....????

08-Feb-19
BIGHORN - White wolves in Colorado... Hmmmmm… They ain't even white in Yellowstone, ya have to go all the way to the Arctic Circle to find white Arctic wolves, which by the way PBS stations were running "Nature's - Arctic Wolf Pack" episode last night...

08-Feb-19
He always could have pulled and Elizabeth Warren and claimed tribal hunting rights...

08-Feb-19
"He always could have pulled and Elizabeth Warren and claimed tribal hunting rights..."

Wonder how many generations are required before you're considered a native american?

08-Feb-19
"Wonder how many generations are required before you're considered a native american? "

Been curious about that too, my grandfather's grandmother was Cherokee or half Cherokee or something like that, so what's that make me, like a 16th or 32nd? Just sent in a ancestry DNA sample to find out...

08-Feb-19
I like the go fund me page....

08-Feb-19
This wasn't about killing a wolf, it was about hunting inside the park...

I'm not sure why there would be a go fund me for somebody who got fined for hunting inside of a park...?

08-Feb-19
I don't know if Bighorn saw a wolf or not, but in N MN they vary from almost white to black - and everything in between. I watched a pack feed on a moose in a river once and within the pack they had both black and white wolves.

I agree with Cheese. Substitute wolf for elk in the above scenario. He was 1/2 mile within the park.

08-Feb-19
Mike and Amoebus,

Did you miss this part of my post ? ------> :)

08-Feb-19
Sorry Bowfreak, I missed your sarcastic grin, but standswithaknife appears to like the idea unless his comment was meant as sarcasm too...

08-Feb-19
Ok, you guys tell me, what would be pure white, running with elk and larger than a German Shepard?

08-Feb-19
We have white wolves in MT. We have gray wolves in MT. We have black wolves in MT. Everything in between.

Bighorn- Obviously no one can say what you saw since we weren't there..... You have to appreciate how rare it would have been though. 25 years ago 2 Pure white wolves running with elk. That's a tough sell.....

08-Feb-19
If he was using an OnX chip in his GPS it may have shown he was in National Forest and not in the National Park. Or vice versa.

08-Feb-19
Apparently it's not always better to ask forgiveness.....

08-Feb-19
of course it was with sarcasm... sheesh...

09-Feb-19
To bad he only shot one.

12-Feb-19
If I'm not mistaken, back then there was no law against killing wolves in CO because they claim that there were no wolves in CO. Funny thing, a trucker ran over one on I-70 and, then they admitted that there was a pack in northern CO. I know what I saw and, unless coyotes turn pure white in the winter which I'm sure they don't, there must have been a couple of pure white malmute dogs running loose west of Yampa. Say what you want but you weren't there.

12-Feb-19
Maybe a run a way sheep dog?

12-Feb-19
If it were a sheep dog, you'd had a hard time quartering and packing one of them there elk out. As if the elk had accepted it to the point it could walk under it like that, it most surely had accepted the elk as its duty to protect.

12-Feb-19
zone that's interesting my grandmother on my mother's side is Cherokee or apache not sure what's indigenous to Oklahoma. iv wanted to research it for some time

• Sitka Gear