DarrinG 08-Feb-19
SBH 08-Feb-19
x-man 08-Feb-19
DarrinG 08-Feb-19
David A. 08-Feb-19
DarrinG 15-Feb-19
Matt 15-Feb-19
07-Feb-19
Hard to teach an old dog new tricks....Ive been an aluminum arrow shooter for 30 plus years. I'm not one for a lot of change, and I still plan on shooting XX75's from my recurve. However, I am finally giving carbon a chance with my old '04 Bowtech Patriot single cam. I'm currently shooting XX75 2314 Camo Hunters w/ 100g Muzzy 3 blade. Draw length 28.5", 60#. The price point of the Beman ICS Bowhunter shafts are temping to at least give them an honest try. Thoughts on the Beman ICS Bowhunter shafts? And what spine would you recommend with my setup? Thanks in advance!

07-Feb-19
I use xx80s

07-Feb-19
I shot the Hunters for quite a few years. Very good value for the money and they are tough. When I shot them, I checked for run out and static spine and always put the stiff side up. I still have a few around.

You didn’t say what weight your intended broadhead is, but you can likely use 400’s unless you start adding big weight up front. Then go with 340’s

07-Feb-19
100 grain heads.

07-Feb-19
Great shafts. I really like mine and by the time I foot them, they are around 450 grains. I shoot the 340's out of a 27 inch draw, 70 pound Missions ballistic 2.0. I've got one shaft that I've shot 4 deer with. I recently made a mental note to try and make sure I use only it from now on until it breaks or, I lose it. Expect a couple dozen more out of it at least.

07-Feb-19
If your shafts are 28” or less the 400’s will be plenty for a 100 gr head. Get the 340’s if you want to leave them longer or want to try a heavier head. Under spine’d is never good.

You are shooting a release, I assume?

07-Feb-19
I have been shooting Beman ICS Hunter 400 for about 10 years. I shoot 63# draw weight, 28.5” arrow with 100 grain point. I have also killed my last 3 deer with the same arrow. They are a great arrow.

07-Feb-19
I’ve killed over a dozen deer with the Beman ICS hunter shafts. Not a bad option for close range whitetail shots. Haven’t used them in years but I’d guess they are still just fine.

07-Feb-19
Beman IC 400s with a tube inside adding 3 or 5 grains per inch. Goldtips work great in my recurves too.

07-Feb-19
Yes, I shoot a release with my Bowtech.

I see some of you referencing the "ICS Hunter" shafts. Is that the same shaft as the "ICS Bowhunter" shaft?

08-Feb-19
The Beman ICS Bowhunter is a great shaft. Your set-up (sort of) splits the 340/400 range but I would start with the 340 as other have suggested.

08-Feb-19
I shoot 500s out of my #53 lb recurve. I like them. Have killed over 1/2 dozen deer and several hogs with them. Very convenient for me to order a dozen already fletched and cut to length from 3rivers. All I do is add weight up front and sharpen broadheads. I think you'll like them!

08-Feb-19

PAbowhunter1064's embedded Photo
PAbowhunter1064's embedded Photo
Best shaft for the money....and the best part, made right here in the good ol' USA!! I agree with the others....go with the 340's and you'll be a happy fella! Good luck!

08-Feb-19
I had a similar set up but with 125 gr heads. Had great broadhead flight.

08-Feb-19
I shoot Beman ICS Hunters and Gold Tip XT Hunters. Both are .003 shafts and both are very durable and more accurate than I am. The Cabelas Stalker Extremes are Beman ICS Hunters rebranded and i have a bunch of those too. I shot 400s out of my 60#, 29" draw Hoyts but switched to 340s for my Elites as they seem to perform better with a stiffer shaft. All arrows were cut to 28". I even used 125 grain Steelhead mechanicals with the 400s for a while with no problems. Probably better with 100 grain heads though. Good luck!

08-Feb-19
The Bowhunter shafts are just fine. Cut an inch off the nock end first, then cut to length and they will be just as straight as the Hunter shafts. Using a release means you don't have to worry about being over-spined. If you want a light shaft buy the 400's(borderline under-spined), if you want a heavier shaft buy the 340's if you want an even heavier shaft buy the 300's. If your tune and your form are both good, all three shaft spines will fly well out of your setup.

08-Feb-19
Thanks gentlemen, I took the plunge and ordered 1/2 doz Beman Bowhunter 340's. I'll get`em fletched and give`em a whirl and if they do well, I'll order more.

08-Feb-19
I've had no issues with them either. Great arrow for the money as far as I can tell.

08-Feb-19
These were by far my biggest sellers at my shop, even though I tried to push the Carbon Tech arrows.

Just make sure you clean and etch the Beman shafts prior to building. The clear finish on them can make fletch adhesion poor if you don't etch the finish first.

08-Feb-19
Thanks for the advice. After using aluminum and building my own for 30 plus years, switching to carbon (or at least giving them an honest try) is a new learning curve.

When you say "etch" the surface, do you mean scrub the area to fletch with something like a scotch brite pad?

Next question....will hot-melt (ferrl-tite) work with installing inserts? I like to align my broadheads with my vanes (fixed blade BH shooter here), and a little heat on the shaft will soften hot melt just enough to rotate inserts to align with fletching. Is this advisable with carbon or can someone enlighten me on another technique?

Thanks in advance.

08-Feb-19
Yes use non metallic Scotch pad. . Don’t apply heat to shaft end, apply to a field point to lossen insert; but it is best to rotate broadhead while hot melt still moveable; be quick!

15-Feb-19
Thanks for all the good advice. I got in my 1/2 dozen Beman ICS Bowhunter 340 shafts and fletched`em up and gave them a test run. I must say they shoot as well as the much more expensive CE shafts I have. For 1/2 the price of the CE Maximas I have, these Beman Bowhunter shafts seem excellent and should make a great hunting arrow. Thanks again.

15-Feb-19
If memory serves ferrl-tite has a higher melting temp than low temp hot melt, which is what most recommend in terms of a reversible insert adhesive for carbon arrows. Use heat very judiciously with carbons. I use a tea candle and roll the shaft ~3/4" above the flame. Low and slow.

• Sitka Gear