StickFlicker 17-Feb-19
Redman 17-Feb-19
txhunter58 17-Feb-19
t-roy 17-Feb-19
Redman 17-Feb-19
Matt 17-Feb-19
Treeline 17-Feb-19
08-Feb-19
On social media and a couple of other hunting forums, there is a rumour of an all time world record mule deer about to become public. I am not talking about the P&Y world record that came out of Sask, this is a different one. Apparently, BlackOvis.com has the exclusive on it and will be releasing the story and pictures soon. Supposed to net better than the Ed Broder (Chip Lake) Buck that went 355"

Anyone else hearing of this.

08-Feb-19
Yes and no. I also saw that Ryan Hatfield stated it will NOT be a world record and the claims are false. Not sure where he got his info and have no clue on the deer in question, but I am anxious to see it!

08-Feb-19
Saw it on Rokslide IG page.

08-Feb-19
We talking world record B&C or P&Y?

08-Feb-19
I just can't wait to see the buck. Anything that is even in this discussion has to be an incredible animal!

08-Feb-19
Zbone - A new P&Y world record has already been confirmed out of Saskatchewan this year. The one that this post is referring to would be a B&C world record passing the current standing world record of 355" net

08-Feb-19
It won't break the record of the broder buck, but still a great muley

08-Feb-19
Cant wait to see pics

08-Feb-19

altitude sick's embedded Photo
altitude sick's embedded Photo

08-Feb-19

Zim's embedded Photo
Zim's embedded Photo
Posted to Rokslide’s Instagram account

08-Feb-19
Where was it shot?

08-Feb-19
Velvet entries don't compete directly with "world record" of hard horned deer do they? I would think they would have to strip it and dry it to get it officially measured wouldn't they?

08-Feb-19
Colorado DIY public land. Non premier unit

08-Feb-19
hashtags suggest Colorado, public land...Blackovis supposedly will have the full write-up

08-Feb-19
Colorado... oh my... Ed F

08-Feb-19
I didn't think stags or cactus bucks could be entered.

08-Feb-19
Velvet entries are not eligible for world record status, however they are accepted by P&Y. To be considered a world record, it would have to be panel measured and stripped....and exceed the current WR, of course. B&C does not accept stags (cactus bucks) or velvet entries into their records program.

08-Feb-19
Thanks I didn't think Pope and young would accept them either since they don't shed. Awesome buck regardless.

08-Feb-19
Incredible buck......will take a while to measure that buck correctly. Congrats to the hunter!

08-Feb-19

08-Feb-19
The buck was shot by Justin Gordin of Kamas, Utah. Don't know if it was arrowed in Colorado but it is said to be a DIY from public land. Kool cumber to keep it off social media this long. Two all time deer records in one year...Who da thunk it. Congrats to both hunters.

08-Feb-19
What a spectacular buck!

09-Feb-19
Whoa...

09-Feb-19
It says Western Hunter Magazine has exclusive rights to the story.

09-Feb-19
I don't even know how thats possible! Thats a big score for an elk!! Holy Crap.

09-Feb-19
No offense but,..it's fugly.

09-Feb-19
I agree Kodak. I don’t like crazy, trashy, non typical deer. It’s definitely big but fugly!

09-Feb-19
That's a fuguly monster buck!

09-Feb-19
WOW!!!

09-Feb-19
To me, imo, it is a damn shame it was shot in velvet. It hasnt reached its full potential and velvet antlers never look as nice as polished, hard horned ones. Im sure most of you would disagree though.

09-Feb-19
I can see why he shot it. But I can also see why he hid it for so long. Kinda like having an uber rich, but very ugly girlfriend. And like the girl, the buck might look way better "stripped" !

09-Feb-19
Gotta get ur freak on! Symmetrical is boring......

Wow. That's a dandy for sure. Are they going to strip[ and dry it? Or just go with it, maybe freeze dried? I've done a few real green velvets as euros.... nearly lost em too.... when they are finally "done" they feel like they were made out of balsa wood or foam, so light.

09-Feb-19
It's not a cactus buck. It's just a crazy NT in velvet. By archery season, the bucks are on the verge of stripping their velvet, so it's unlikely that it had more growing to do.

09-Feb-19
Fugly? Yep. And absolutely fugly awesome! Congrats to the hunter on taking an incredible buck!

09-Feb-19
I'm with Trapperkayak. I'd have let it pass to grow another year and reach full potential...

:-O

09-Feb-19
Sure looks like a farm deer......

09-Feb-19
Crazy deer!! And I love velvet mulies compared to hard horned!

09-Feb-19
I just shot the airgun world record mule deer in Mexico...fair chase 15 yds.

09-Feb-19
Fugly like a classic car cut up for a monster motor,, but still killer... Sure doesn't look real.. lucky bastard...

09-Feb-19
Antler size/score is way over valued...I'm really hunting a certain way of doing the hunt and esp. good country. Big horns can certainly can become an obsession...

10-Feb-19
No idea what date he shot it but they are done or very close to done growing when seasons usually start. I would bet he is at full potential.

10-Feb-19
It was Colorado, public land, and not a "premium" unit, it was done "right" too.... All I can say for now.

10-Feb-19
I had to look up the word "fugly". I agree but way cool. "pass it up!" You got to be kidding. my best, Paul

10-Feb-19
That deer just gave hope to every "Joe 6 pack" hunter who doesn`t have enough money for premium tags....guided hunts or 12 pt draws. Well done.

10-Feb-19
Say what you want, but there is not ONE hunter on this thread that would have passed on this buck.

10-Feb-19
By the looks of the velvet, it was gone growing. Doesn't look full of blood or soft. It's a heck of a deer, period!! Don't know how it looks like a farm raised deer, but to each his own.

The guy killed something most of us will never see. I just wonder how many will now start using his scouting service or start booking hurts with him. The story will soon be out, and we'll know if he decides to strip the velvet off or not. Heck of a decision to make if you ask me. Congrats sir...

10-Feb-19
It will be interesting to see how this buck finally scores out. A shame that it will have to be stripped to be officially scored, but the right taxidermist can make it look okay.

10-Feb-19
I heard it was Wyoming, definitely NOT Colorado. Again, there are NO big deer in Colorado...

10-Feb-19
That picture with the rack strapped to the pack is awesome.

Looks like he was done growing or very nearly done, just a little bit of softness on some its main beams.

10-Feb-19
I think that rack would be coming out to the trail head in the dark if it were me! Can't wait to hear the story.

11-Feb-19
'I'd have let it pass to grow another year and reach full potential...' That's not what I meant, I'd want to wait until it shed its velvet that same year, not wait another year. I just wouldn't be out hunting until the velvet is off most of the big ones. Just me. I think it has some growing to do judging by the bulbous black tips on some of those tines. Maybe not a lot, but I don't care about scores anyway, just nicely polished hard antler. Not pith or pulp. Nah, I'll wait another month. You guys can hunt summer bucks - I'll wait till fall.

11-Feb-19
Some of you guys are just too funny. I can honestly say there is a very good chance I would have let him walk. Not on purpose though. I would have taken a shot and just missed. Then I would have lied and said I didn't get a shot. That is just unreal.

I heard about this buck back in September but also heard he was going to keep it quiet so no one knew where he shot it. You just can't hide something like that.

11-Feb-19
txhunter, in all honesty I have zero interest in shooting mule deer in velvet. Yes, I would have passed on him.

11-Feb-19

elkstabber's Link

11-Feb-19
Wow!! What a cool buck!! The uglier the better!! Congrats to the hunter! Gotta love it!

David A, I could believe you if you said you wouldn't be up there hunting when the deer were in velvet, so therefore you would not kill that deer in velvet, but if you try and tell me you are hunting Sep 1 and that buck comes by in velvet 20 yards there's not a chance I'm believing you'd pass him.

11-Feb-19
Incredible

11-Feb-19
I'm definitely a hard horned over velvet guy, but NObody lets that buck walk, figuring to come back in a month. And if you would "let him walk" what were you doing there, with tag and weapon in hand in the first place, to let him walk? And don't say, just scouting.

11-Feb-19
agree with Jim and Ambush 100%. NO WAY on God's green earth you pass that deer. Lunacy, I tell ya!

11-Feb-19
The ugliest World Record is always going to get picked over the prettiest average buck.

11-Feb-19
Sweeeeeeet!

Congrats to the hunter!!!

Mark

11-Feb-19
WOW!

11-Feb-19
That buck has as much antler growing downward as he does upward. What an incredible buck. I might have passed AWAY on him!

I think even Randy Ulmer would be a bit jealous of that deer.

11-Feb-19
Personally, I love the freaks!

This buck is King of the freaks...Wow!

11-Feb-19
I would never pass a shot at that buck or any decent mature buck, but I would just not be hunting deer when they are in velvet, not before the first or second week of Sept. By then most or all have shed velvet. I probably would have missed it anyway, shaking violently.

11-Feb-19
APauls, well I passed on hunting a potential state record (with bow) desert mule deer a friend of mine told me about because he was hanging near a mine road that filled the adjacent landscape with dust and frequently noise. I'm looking for beautiful setup and a certain way of doing things (with being close a common element). Never had a desire to hunt deer in velvet. Hard horned, entirely different. Guess it seems strange. Have I become a spoiled"artist"?

12-Feb-19
Yeah... that seems strange. Just take the pics from a different angle. Ed F

13-Feb-19
Trapperkayak, You would be disappointed most years hunting mule deer in the early archery seasons. By the time the bucks strip their velvet, they have typically been stalked and bumped a few times. Those bucks that show up on open hillsides in the late summer, often disappear in to the trees once they strip their antlers. Our seasons in Colorado, where this buck is rumored to have been shot, start the last Saturday in August. The bucks typically shed around the middle of September, though I shot my buck on September 23 last season, he was stripping his velvet that morning and stopped halfway through the job. Had I waited for that buck to finish the job, I would have had one day to hunt him before the season ended. If you wait until they are fully stripped to start hunting them, you will have less than half the season, on average.

15-Feb-19

Zim's embedded Photo
Zim's embedded Photo

16-Feb-19
That buck's awesome. I'm glad to hear that it was taken by a hunter during the regular season on public land.

17-Feb-19
Sounds like it could not have happened to a more deserving person, WOW Congratulations!

17-Feb-19
Glad he got it mounted in velvet! That tells me a lot about the hunter! This buck can be scored but won’t be able to go in the all-time book.

Spectacular buck and great job by the hunter!

17-Feb-19
Yes it will go in the all-time records......only in the velvet category.

17-Feb-19
Beautiful mount! Is there any type of formula or averages of how many inches a deer loses if scored in velvet vs if the velvet is stripped? Probably way harder to tell on a big non typical vs a typical.

17-Feb-19
Roy, have they changed how they do velvet racks?

It has been that they would be listed in the next book but not in following books and not ranked.

Any world record would be required to be stripped and panel judged.

17-Feb-19
They are un-ranked in the velvet category, appear one time in the regular book, but are maintained in the records program forever as such. They are will be listed in the velvet book each time published.....un-ranked and by recording period.

Velvet entries are not eligible for WR status, as all potential WR antlered animals must be stripped and panel measured. B&C does not accept ANY velvet animals.

17-Feb-19
Thanks! Knew you would have that info right!

17-Feb-19

17-Feb-19
"Glad he got it mounted in velvet! That tells me a lot about the hunter! "

Ditto

17-Feb-19
why do we go all nuts on number's? that's is one nice buck velvet or not. just leave it at that.

17-Feb-19
The top 100 in every velvet catagory are published in every book. Below 100 get printed in one edition. We are being challenged with the size of the record book. Digital is coming.... The next Velvet record book (2021) will be different... no more listed by recording period. Ed F

17-Feb-19
t-roy,

With regard to how much the score changes when stripped, SCI deducts 2% when bucks are entered in velvet, so I assume that's their estimate. You mentioned that it would be harder to estimate on non-typicals, and I agree. I believe that while there may be a slight increase in the 8 circumference measurements, the point measurements actually lose score when measured in velvet (because when the cable is laid on the top of the beam to determine the baseline of each point, the velvet is raising that baseline making the points measure shorter than they would be if measured hard-horned). Therefore, on a non-typical with lots of points, it may gain a little for the 8 mass measurements, but lose far more than that when the many points (more than 8) are measured shorter. Perhaps Typicals gain on 8 mass measurements and lose on 10 point measurements and come out near even? Some large bucks that were officially measured in velvet have been stripped many years later and their overall score was higher than they were originally measured in velvet, even when done years later with additional time for shrinkage.

17-Feb-19
He very easily could have stripped the velvet, had it scored and put the fake velvet back on the authentic rack or he could have done a replica with velvet. I killed my Tule in velvet, stripped it, had it scored and sent it in to get the fake velvet put back on and you cannot tell the difference.

17-Feb-19
But then he would always know it is fake. I am glad he had it mounted just like it was. That is what I would have done.

17-Feb-19
Interesting information, Marvin. Thanks

17-Feb-19
BTW, it is very difficult to save the real velvet and keep it from coming off after the animal is dead anyway. The process of preserving it requires a lot of skill, timing and a bit of luck. I also have a velvet Canadian Moose in velvet that I preserved and it is not looking very good, let alone like the day I shot it.

17-Feb-19
It can be challenging to save actual velvet depending on how close to rubbing off the animal is, bit IMO it is worth trying because fake velvet looks....fake.

17-Feb-19
Have quite a few velvet deer and a velvet caribou that I saved the velvet on. The only places where the velvet is messed up are where they rubbed packing them out. Still look good after a lot of years.

• Sitka Gear