Brotsky 11-Feb-19
ELKMAN 11-Feb-19
Arrowflinger 12-Feb-19
ELKMAN 12-Feb-19
12yards 12-Feb-19
12yards 12-Feb-19
Arrowflinger 12-Feb-19
10-Feb-19
I am looking very serious at the Hoyt RX3. I am presently shooting an Elite Synergy. I have always liked a bow with a longer axle to axle length. the synergy is 33.5 ATA. The RX3 is 30.5 ATA. And the RX3 Ultra is 34 ATA. I personally would prefer the Ultra. The pro shop I go to does not have the Ultra in stock. My draw length is 27.5. the shop owner is telling me that the Ultra is for longer draw length shooters, and I should be shooting the shorter RX3 with my shorter draw length. I still think I would rather shoot and hunt with the Ultra. I haven't heard anything about the Ultra being made for longer draw length shooters. I would like to hear opinions from you guys. Thanks.

10-Feb-19
So you call Hoyt junk , want to explain ??

10-Feb-19
AF, the longer ATA decreases string angle for guys with long draw lengths. So, the longer draw guys would no doubt prefer tat bow on average. But, a short draw guy would likely love it too. It would do you fine.

10-Feb-19
I think Notorious Big is one of those Wal Mart customers that you dread seeing wearing tight yoga pants, cut off t shirt, and a headband around their mullet.

10-Feb-19
Hey Biggie, how about post up a few pics of some of those biggy bucks you been killing instead of making immature, little school boy comments on every thread.

10-Feb-19
Poof! Troll eliminated.

10-Feb-19
The pro shop does not have the Ultra in stock. That may be why he is steering you to the shorter ATA. The longer one will work fine for you, if it’s made in your draw length. At one point in the past 34” plus ATA was common, as opposed to the much shorter bows of today.

10-Feb-19
I have a 27” draw and I shoot the Rx1 ultra (35” ata). I prefer longer ata bows

10-Feb-19
I remember when 41 and 42" bows were considered short. I had a Hoyt Super slam that was listed at 41" I believe. That was a big deal in the day. I am shooting the RX1 Ultra with a 29" draw. I specifically wanted the longer bow for the shallower string angle.

10-Feb-19
Seems the pro drop us trying to sell you the bow they have in stock instead of the bow you want. If the Ultra is what you want, don't settle for less. Have them order you one in and go to a different shop.

10-Feb-19
There is nothing wrong with you shooting the Ultra at your draw length. You would just be near the bottom of the cams draw range which isn't ideal, but not a problem. He is steering you to what he has in stock. I would recommend the Ultra. If he doesn't want your money take your business else where. The customer is ALWAYS right. (Didn't see where anyone called Hoyt junk? Assuming edited)

10-Feb-19
I have a Spyder 34 and am now enjoying the shorter ATA of the new RX3. Actually shooting it through paper now. The string angle is much better for me with my short draw (26”-26.5”).

Went up on the mountain to shoot once already and man is it nice having a shorter bow again for hiking through brush.

Also, I recommend buying both sets of mods (80% & 85%). I really like the 80% better but my bad shoulder says otherwise (surgery imminent).

10-Feb-19
Yes I also thought about him wanting to sale what he has in stock. I bought a Darton Viper back in 1993 and shot it for 15 years. The Darton is 43 inches axle to Axle and I really liked it. Been shooting a recurve mostly since i retired the Darton but my shoulder bothers me some now. I think I would like the Ultra. Kind of Pricey but I normally shoot a bow for a while before getting a new one. the Synergy is a nice bow and I've had it since 2015 but haven't shot it a lot, i would like to try a Carbon Hoyt.

10-Feb-19
What I do like about the synergy is it has a long valley at full draw and it is comfortable to shoot. I'm wondering about the ultra, If the cam is set for 27.5 inch draw length would that make for a short Valley? The RX3 I shot was set @ 28. I shot it just to get an Idea how it feels. The Valley was shorter then my Elite bow but wasn't bad. The RX3 pulls and shoots smooth.

10-Feb-19
Go for the Ultra.

One comment (food for thought), but a long valley shouldn't be considered a good feature IMO. Shorter valleys tend to force good habits and better shooting.

11-Feb-19
100% right...^^^

11-Feb-19
I went and shot a bunch of bows on Saturday, I shot everything the shop had, from mathews, Bowtech, PSE and Hoyt. I narrowed it down to the ultra until the shop said they just got turbo in...needless to say, I have a turbo on order. It was smooth, quiet and had a solid backwall. My advice is to go in and shoot them all.

11-Feb-19
Matt I have to agree with you, I do believe the shorter valley will help make a person a better shooter. Elkman, you mentioned being at the bottom of the cams with my draw length isn't ideal. I'm not sure but I believe the Rx3 and the Ultra have the same cams. Correct me if I'm wrong about the cams. But please explain to me how using the bottom of the cam is not ideal. I could use a 28 inch draw length, but that is not much longer. and 27.5 just feels more comfortable.

11-Feb-19
The bottom of the cam is slightly less efficient than the top of the cam. Not a huge deal but Hoyt bows seem to tune better and have the best performance at the top end of the draw range. Again, the difference is minimal and you may not even notice it.

11-Feb-19
They are the same cams, but due to the axle to axle length being so different they obviously have different draw ranges on said cams. For you in the Ultra you would be shooting a #2 cam which on the Ultra goes from 27 to 30 inches this year (One of the ridiculous corners they cut). So you being a 27.5" draw would put you at the lower end of the draw range which in general isn't quite as good as being center or above on a hybrid cams draw range. A couple years ago I would have told you steer clear, but one thing I will say about this years Hoyts is that they got back to their old forgiving tune characteristics and seem to be tuning very well across the cams range.

12-Feb-19
Elkman thanks for the reply. I would like to shoot both bows and see which one feels the best to me. I believe the RX3 number 2 cam is 25 to 28 inch draw. I would be near the top with that cam. But if the cams are tuning well across there range then either bow may shoot good for me. I plan to shoot them both together.

12-Feb-19
That's the way to do it. See what fits you best. The string angle is a big factor between those two.

12-Feb-19
As a fellow Synergy shooter, I think you are making a big mistake! Don't sell that Synergy! Use it as a backup at least. Actually I've owned Hoyts in the past and would love to try an RX3 Ultra. My past Hoyts at the lower end of the draw length, I think you will have more valley and a friendlier draw cycle down there, but will lose some performance. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong. And I disagree with the longer valley being a detriment to accurate shooting. In a hunting situation I'll take it any day. And when I made the switch from Hoyt to Elite, my accuracy improved. And guess what, I still pull into the back wall but I'm not punished if I relax a little and I can focus on my pin float.

12-Feb-19
OH, and I agree, tell your dealer what you want. Don't let him tell you a 34" ata bow is too long for you. That is total bs.

12-Feb-19
12 yards, I agree with you, The Synergy also improved my Accuracy. I do plan to keep it. It is a very comfortable bow to shoot. And I have decided if I buy a Hoyt I want to shoot the RX3 and the Ultra together. But I'm leaning toward the Ultra. I will decide after I shoot it.

• Sitka Gear