TD 12-Feb-19
jax2009r 12-Feb-19
Thornton 12-Feb-19
Mnhunter1980 12-Feb-19
Zim 13-Feb-19
Trial153 13-Feb-19
10-Feb-19

Native Okie's Link
I recently read the article below regarding Kansas license increases. To be clear, these proposed changes would serve as the new caps though it sets the cap of a NR deer permit at $800 vs the $500 it is now.

What is your willingness to pay?

10-Feb-19
Not worth the proposed increased price to me. And then add the price of a small game tag to that plus if you do not draw it will cost you extra for a PP. Now you are talking $900 Plus. I can hunt next door to Kansas for $250 and hunt deer statewide.

10-Feb-19
KS with its demand base quotas can do nothing but decline. Its inevitable unless its changed.

10-Feb-19
No Thanks!

10-Feb-19
My friends and I used to go years ago. We would apply for the buddy hunt one guy draws you all draw. I think tags were 250 then. When the went to 500 we quit. So 900 no thanks! Paul if you are referring to Missouri for 250 enjoy it while you can.

10-Feb-19
Kansas wouldn’t be an annual trip for me, so If we are being honest the couple hundred dollar price hike wouldn’t derail my plans to go if I actually had said plans in the first place.

10-Feb-19
“I know Indiana could be so much better, but with our super long gun seasons, crossbows in archery, super high pressure on state/federal lands, I wish they jack up the prices on non-residents .....”

Yeah, THAT will fix ALL your problems!

God forbid they should limit residents to only one weapon (or fewer tags) per year.

SMH

10-Feb-19
guys go and hunt maryland

10-Feb-19
I'm with TEmbry. If I was planning on hunting there I would pay it. I apply for elk tags that cost over $1k and I would rather hunt deer. Isn't Montana like $800 for the deer combo?

10-Feb-19
No.

10-Feb-19
I get a non resident “hunt on your own land” license. Think it was $85 or so. That’s very reasonable. Wonder what increase it will bring?

10-Feb-19
$900 for a deer tag! Maybe elk but a whitey, no way. You guys can have em all!

10-Feb-19
JTV, it's probably less about the quantity of NR licenses, and more about the Kansas rifle season for bucks being correctly timed....Dec 4-19 this year.

10-Feb-19
right on the edge of the $1,000 whitetail deer tag, the workin mans tag is what they should call it. not for me because there are cheaper options that are just as good. if that price was all i had to choose from i would pay it though.

10-Feb-19
yes I think that prices me out - maybe only try every 2-3 years

10-Feb-19
For me, I have a great opportunity to hunt private land that I have continued to learn the last several years. As long as I have that access, I’ll most likely continue to go. The extra money won’t deter me from having my November fun.

10-Feb-19
A few hundred dollars would not stop me if I really wanted to go back to Kansas....but I would seriously have to weigh other options before making that commitment.

10-Feb-19
If you haven't hunted Maryland....you're missing a good deal.

10-Feb-19
If you haven't hunted Maryland....you're missing out on some good deer hunting. Alot cheaper than Kansas for a NR.

10-Feb-19
Not a chance. Another state crossed off the list.

10-Feb-19
Texas High Fence will be cheaper soon enough.

10-Feb-19
NO.

10-Feb-19
That works out to be about the same $/lb as a side of beef.

10-Feb-19

KB's Link
This would have only set new maximums. I don’t think there was any danger it would immediately jump to $800. However, it doesn’t appear that this gained much traction in Topeka. Was refreshing to read the senator’s quote on access, but we’ll see if it does any good with the department. Yes, our saving grace is a one buck program and holding off the rifles through the rut (actually Dec 4-15 this coming season). But it is virtually impossible for a NR not to acquire his/her desired tag every year. One point will get you any tag in the state and if you know how to play the “attach a neighboring unit” game even the non-100% areas border another that generally is. Personally I’d like to see that rule removed, as it would surely help greatly with the logjam on public lands in those higher demand areas. And most guys hunting private are going to focus on one unit anyway. It will be interesting to see what the future holds. I don’t think demand can hang in there much longer, no matter the price.

Trevor, hit me up if you get serious on those Kansas plans.

10-Feb-19
Whats so good about Kansas that tag should cost that much? Do the deer taste better? Or is it that some need to shoot bigger (horns) deer?

10-Feb-19
Resident and non resident fees are far too cheap in most states.

10-Feb-19
“Personally I’d like to see that rule removed“

Yeah, not me Kaleb. I’m one of those guys. I don’t make the rules but I do know how to maximize my opportunity by them.

10-Feb-19
Missouribreaks, as I agree with you on residents fees being cheap. I would gladly like to see my resident fee triple. That would give my state more money to invest in my hunting..

Now I don't agree on the nonresident fees. Non-resident fees are just getting crazy.. Many residents love it as they see it as a way of keeping non-residents out of their state. ..

10-Feb-19
Haha, I didn’t think that would be a popular sentiment here, Aaron. But it’s crazy to me there’s a unit in the state that has a potential 12,000 neighboring tags and with only a few quality public chunks it’s no wonder the Senator is talking about locals having nowhere to hunt. I’m sure it won’t change anytime soon though. You should have a point this year anyway, right? ;)

10-Feb-19
Its unfortunate but our collective willingness to pay is the only thing setting these prices. Individually many of us aren't part of the problem but as a whole we only get pricing we agree to.

I hunt neighboring states a bit but under $300 for deer.

10-Feb-19
NO, NO, NO

10-Feb-19
Go, Kansas, go. Non-residents don't vote so add a few $100 and then see what happens. Yep, more private land gets leased for non-residents. I appreciate you creating the incentive to tie up so much private land for guys like me to pick from each year. See, a resident is more than likely a Joe SixPak guy so coughing up a $1000 or more for access is a stretch. Well, the non-resident is in for a lot more just for the tag tan the resident so $1000 or $2500 or $5000 is chump change for the non-resident that can scratch out $900 for a tag. I sure as heck am not looking to go elbow to elbow on public land. So, get those legislators raising prices on non-residents. You are doing the Lord's work for non-residents.

10-Feb-19
Kaleb, no point for me, I hunted last year. Hopefully get a tag again, it’s really my favorite hunt of the year and I enjoy seeing our family friends out there, great people. Plus there are a couple of good bucks that we believe made it through rifle season which makes the anticipation of this year even worse.

I drive by a lot of WIHA’s and never see a soul hunting them. One particular area I used to hunt I have never seen another person on that ground, neither did a another Bowsiter who I put in that spot this year.

I get the Senators comment and am sympathetic to the local guys, but making that change for the good of Kansans is hard to do with the $ at stake including with the landowners. Politicians as we know have a hard time passing that $ up.

I’ve said this for several years, I would be happy to go to KS every 2-3 years like it was in the 90’s for the sake of quality but I’ll go every year as long as I have the opportunity.

10-Feb-19
NR fees are way too high in some of those western states. This is where I'd like to see some hunting related groups like B&C, P&Y, RMEF, NRA, etc come in and start advocating for the folks to get the states to lower those high NR costs.

11-Feb-19
There are certainly underutilized WIHA’s. But as you know, almost all of those are going to be quite a distance from a significant population center. I guess my theory is if some of the higher demand units went closer to a 50% draw odds the lease market in those areas would soften a bit. The state seems to be in a position to be able to lease anything it can into WIHA, so there’s still an avenue for landowners to generate revenue. And with the new iWIHA program, that pays quite well from what I gather, in areas that are closer to the higher populations the department can ensure they aren’t overrun. Pressure on the reservoirs and wildlife areas would undoubtedly ease with more walk in options. I think it would be a win for everyone, except the NR who wants to hunt a specific high demand unit every year. But for the mobile NR there will always be attainable tags and even some leftover for those that just want to hunt Kansas each fall.

Hopefully you get your tag this year! Seeing as you know how to play the game I have little doubt. Shoot me the coordinates to those bucks and I’ll go pick up the antlers for ya! Good luck.

11-Feb-19
I’m with Paul, for that price I can hunt several other OTC states and be happy...

11-Feb-19
$800.00 for a whitetail license is nuts! I can walk out my back door and shoot one for $24.00

11-Feb-19
I guess to Experience the hunt and to hopefully Harvest, would make it do-able.

Kinda Pricey though

Thanks for the link N O

Good luck, Robb

11-Feb-19
I don’t think Senator should ever be in the same sentence as deer, hunting, fish and wildlife, etc.

11-Feb-19
For the record, the same bill would raise resident fees the same %. I am somewhat on the fence. I have a hard time wrapping my head around the biology that allowed us to go from a limited resident draw for deer as late as 1988, the first year I was eligible to apply for the draw at 17 years old, to a pretty much unlimited license state in 30 years. The area I hunt is not used by outfitters nor out of state hunters, to close to one of the Metro's, but the herd has declined in that time and the quality has declined with it. I don't know what the answer is, but raising tag prices on everyone to bridge out State Govt's lack of financial responsibility isn't the answer.

11-Feb-19
I'd consider hunting a sleeper state if the tags are somewhere around that $200-$300 mark. KS tags are already ridiculous imo, and yes the same goes for where I live as well. If they go up to the $900 benchmark, that is ludicrous. I'd pay a little more for my R tag here, if we could put a real limit on NR tags, and I'd even happily agree that the price for NR should be a little lower.

11-Feb-19
Sorry, that should say $800.

11-Feb-19
I'd happily pay it IF I had a quality place or places to hunt. The Kansas border is just 50 miles from my house. But I've never deer hunted there because I don't have a spot or spots.

Too much to bet though without a decent place to hunt.

11-Feb-19
No worries here. If I’m paying that much to hunt whitetails, it’d be in Montana. Not Kansas.

Ky buddy has got a lease out there he’s had for 7 years. He’s killed some nice deer. He invited me this year and I declined. Glad I did as if I’m paying $900 to hunt an ungulate, it’s going to be bugling. With the only exception being a Kodak blacktaik hunt. That’s just my preference and my budget.

11-Feb-19
Unlimited any deer licenses for NR in SD, $286. Good for a mule deer or whitetail. Cheapest in the west! Come one, come all! Our number of NR hunters only increased by 46% last year, there's room for everyone!

11-Feb-19
It pushed me out when they reached $500. I'd just assume go hunt elk OTC in Colorado for a bit more and keep hunting whitetails here in OK.

11-Feb-19
Like some have stated for 800/900$$ I'd would not even think of a whitetail hunt over elk.. Yes elk I'll pay that. But not for wt.. For that price I'm guess that Ks has lot of public land that's well managed for all game. That's the reason I'd like to see my license fee go up.. Pa has over I think 1.2 million acres of just hunter owned gamelands. And every year they add acres to that.. I believe that if they had more money, that they could add and manage even more acres each year than they are now. I think our license is 20.90 would gladly pay more to get more and better managed hunting land.

12-Feb-19
State agencies kept reasonable pricing for a lot of years. As hunting gear and popularity on TV rose politicians and game agencies saw $$$$ signs. Now they are addicted to it, and these raises will never stop. We just about doubled prices in most areas the past ten years. Look also at Colorado, Montana, Wyoming on Elk tags. I'm not for any of the price increases here in Kansas. Our new Governor is a way Liberal Democrat, she has appointed a new Secretary of Wildlife that seems like a great guy but it's an appointment position so he has to answer to her. She already has plans to take money from KPErs retirement fund and the highway fund. That doesn't leave KDWPT funds safe her pilfering it.

12-Feb-19
For a deer? Seriously?

12-Feb-19
900 for just a deer tag is steep

12-Feb-19
Colorado did this with OTC elk years ago. Last I knew, numbers still climbed despite the price increase. But then again, they have hundreds of thousands of acres of public and the scenery is much better. Kansas is rather boring and we have very little public land compared to western states.

12-Feb-19
Brotsky I sense a hint of sarcasm

13-Feb-19
I quit going to Kansas as soon as they liberalized NR permits years ago. So they can raise their deer tag prices all they want now and it won't matter to me. Moving to Indiana in three weeks (only 15 minutes from one decent public area) and taking my Illinois LL with me. So I'll limit myself to these two states at resident prices going forward. Will make due with lots of special public property whitetail draws in 2 states now. So my chances for decent hunts will double. IN & IL public are down on the list quality-wise, but good enough for me at ~$25 rather than $800. Will treat myself to Iowa once in a while. If I feel like venturing out again it would be Missouri, or Maryland, where I have a standing private land invite. That's my strategy. Kansas is now not even an afterthought.

13-Feb-19
A funny thing has happened to me over the years. My ability to pay has increased while my willingness to pass as diminished.

• Sitka Gear