otcWill 11-Feb-19
Z Barebow 11-Feb-19
Carnivore 12-Feb-19
Thomas11 12-Feb-19
Buglmin 12-Feb-19
Burlap 17-Feb-19
11-Feb-19
Hey All,

Working on an over the counter Elk Archery hunt in Colorado (September 2019). I am an experienced whitetail and antelope hunter from Kansas. I have been doing the usual map research and reading. I feel that I have narrowed my regions down to southern CO (Weminuche Wilderness Units 75 751 77). At the same time I am wondering if I am wasting my time focusing on the wrong regions or things. I just wanted to talk with some people on here about their knowledge or experience with these areas. Or if they are able to help me narrow a few things down based on some conversation. Not looking for specific spots just some general questions about terrain, burn areas, populations, and pressure from outfitters or people in specific regions. I know many of you do not want to share info on a public forum which I completely understand and agree with. If you would be interested in PM me that is completely OK. I would be willing to trade Kansas Whitetail information as well as trail cam photos and specific spots for the right trade of info. I am located in one of the best regions in Kansas for public land whitetails with multiple 180" deer being taken on public land within 25 minutes of my house. If not I completely understand just putting out feelers for an honest gentlemens exchange of information. Thank you!

11-Feb-19
RE: Colorado

The first thing I would do is visit the DOW Hunt Planner. It has answers to many of the questions you are asking. It is one of the best that any state offers. It will allow you to compare unit/GMU data. It might even have burn history info. (If it doesn't, there are other sources to get that info also)

11-Feb-19
With all those 180s running around, heck why bother with the elk hunt? Never been in those units, but my understanding is they get a lot of pressure from folks wanting to get right up to and in 76.

11-Feb-19
Sure glad to help out a new guy...heres where you want to go; >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

EDIT; Hey what happened to all of my map coordinates above? The good news OP, just lace up your boots and cover some ground in just about any unit in CO...I've been in a bunch of them and have to tell you....they all hold elk in pockets, all about the same, IME.......its all about you finding them.

11-Feb-19
^^^^ this guy. I tried to be polite knowing that someone was going to say something! haha. In all seriousness thank you for the information much appreciated. Just looking for a place that has a reasonable/stable population where we can have a chance.

11-Feb-19
I have hunted 751 in the Wilderness and it does not hold a large number of elk compared to other units. It may outside of the Wilderness. I believe 77 may be better for elk....IMO.

11-Feb-19
Those units all have good areas. I personally leave all CO wilderness areas alone as they are magnets for NR as well as resident hunters. Where in KS are you?

11-Feb-19
I have not hunted CO OTC units for elk. But this past year I hunted MD in a unit that had OTC elk. (I didn't buy an elk tag because I wanted to focus on MD) I would not go back there for mulies, but I would go back for OTC elk. Point is, do your research, pick a unit, and go hunt. Hunt hard and it would not surprise me if you get your chance.

12-Feb-19

Carnivore's Link
Since you asked about burn areas, check out inciweb. Especially right before you leave for your hunt. Archery season equals fire season. And every year fires make hunters abandon their Plan A. Be sure to create a Plan B as part of your hunt preps.

12-Feb-19
sent u a PM

12-Feb-19
Our sw Colorado gmu elk herds are in serious trouble. Low elk numbers, high pressure from non resident hunters. Elk are scattered, and it doesn't matter if you're in the wilderness or not.

I live in gmu 77, and the pressure from hunters push elk early into private or sub divisions. The Nuche... Like stated above, the wilderness draws non resident hunters like flies. Guess they think of high elk numbers, no pressure and easy to call in elk. But not all the Nuche holds a lot of elk. It's a rough place, and guys go in eight miles, kill a small bull or cow and spend four days packing meat out. With the beetle kill we've got in the Nuche, a lot if elk don't use areas they once did ten years ago. Deadfall and piled up needles kill the underbrush. Last year, the forest service in 77 started blasting trees down in areas to knock the deadfall down in the wilderness. Blasting was safer then cutting the trees down. Hunter numbers are high, guys going in from above Silverton, through the trail heads above Lemon Lake and Vallecito Lake, as well as guys driving in deep off the Mosco and heading in from there. Guys kill Bulls during the gun season cause they catch them migrating out from the weather or other hunters. But like everywhere else, you gotta roll the dice and take your chances like everyone else.

17-Feb-19
PM sent

• Sitka Gear