scndwfstlhntng 15-Feb-19
Bake 15-Feb-19
wildwilderness 15-Feb-19
beemann 15-Feb-19
12-Feb-19

Lone Bugle's Link
Hunters back in the news...

12-Feb-19
Using the term "slaughtered goat" shows a clear intent by the writer in the beginning to hook the reader. But to their credit they did discuss that the $110k permit was going to the local community and to conservation efforts. Hunters shooting 12 from a population of 2,500 is hardly going to be detrimental. Most thoughtful and logical readers will pick up on that.

12-Feb-19
money well spent towards conservation

12-Feb-19

Cobie33's Link
Same article without the "slaughtered goat" comment/paragraph. Funny how just this one change gives the article a different tone.

12-Feb-19
I read an article about it, the whole second half of which was about how the hunters' fees contribute directly to the local economies, guides, and conservation, and that the species is rebounding because of it. It's pathetic how the media spins the facts...

12-Feb-19
""It's pathetic how the media spins the facts...""

"....The Washington Post reported...." I guess that about sums it up.

12-Feb-19
""It's pathetic how the media spins the facts...""

"....The Washington Post reported...." I guess that about sums it up.

12-Feb-19

12-Feb-19
This species is an incredible conservation story. Without the $ associated with them, they’d be gone.

12-Feb-19
I think its individuals that spin the facts. The facts are the facts. Not all media is the same.

15-Feb-19
My partner approached me in the office to show me the CNN blast out to his I phone with a picture and a description of the goings on that included statements like" rare species, it was an easy shot " etc. He was willing to talk about it but clearly looked at what he was being shown as a travesty. I said to him off of the top of my head that taking older males out of the pack does not affect the breeding pool, it was clearly a wide open event so that it has to have had the oversight of the country involved, and that the kind of money he spent usually means that a bunch goes to herd management and the local community as well as making it less desirable for a community to support poaching . Of course NONE of that is in the original photo op and accompanying blurb. I shortly thereafter Googled the situation, and easily found a well stated bullet point description of the situation with EXACTLY the information that I had suggested to him was the case. It is so dang easy to spin this stuff and make it look ugly, when it may well be the salvation of otherwise endangered species by making them valuable to the community and pushback at poaching. Hopefully, he saw the light

15-Feb-19
Agree with Nick. At one point they were down to less than 100 animals. Giving the animal a value, via trophy hunting, directly saved the species.

The thing is, if you can explain this to people, most rational people will get it.

Couple years ago a guy from the city was doing some clinical hours with my mom, and I'd occasionally have lunch with them. He was curious about my hunting, and not anti at all. But one day I got on a rant about how trophy hunting for black rhino was directly contributing to their conservation. And he immediately got it. I think rational people will get it, if it's presented to them correctly. Unfortunately, most media outlets will not do that. It's why they have no credibility anymore

15-Feb-19

wildwilderness's Link
I thought it got fair coverage in this article

15-Feb-19
Yup thought the NPR article was well stated.....

• Sitka Gear