BULELK1 17-Feb-19
Lost Arra 17-Feb-19
ElkNut1 17-Feb-19
Boone 17-Feb-19
Shawn 18-Feb-19
Dale06 18-Feb-19
trophyhill 19-Feb-19
16-Feb-19
Just curious: VERY DRY CONDITIONS. Would you rather hunt with absolutely no wind (hit the puff bottle and it floats slowly straight down) or with steady (say 12 to 15 MPH) constant, (out of just one direction) wind?

I know there are lots of pros and cons to both ... no wind: stalking can be a bugger, however you can hear a bugle/cow call, a long ways off. Verses Constant winds: can't hear very well but stalking can be easier.

16-Feb-19
12-15 mph for sure. That is not to bad of a wind. Get much higher than that probably no wind.

16-Feb-19
I love a steady, dependable wind!

16-Feb-19
In my experience it’s never 100% calm in the mountains! Thermals are always doing something. So I’ll take 12-15 mph CONSISTENT wind all day long!!!

16-Feb-19
Agreed, A little wind has many advantages.

16-Feb-19
5-10mph. Hate dead calm days. Killed a nice 8 point last year. Winds were 15-20mph. Not a fan of that, but hey it was 03-Nov. Gotta be in a tree.

16-Feb-19
As long as it’s not swirling I’ll take the steady wind.

16-Feb-19
YEP for sure.

16-Feb-19
"As long as it’s not swirling..."

That's pretty funny. Unless you're on a glass flat surface, with no trees or ANY obstructions (even you), it's always swirling.

16-Feb-19
LOL a constant swirling wind, love it!

Once any breeze gets constant it is game on and perfect stalking conditions.

16-Feb-19
nothing beats an honest wind, 10 t0 15 is good

16-Feb-19
I will take the dead calm any day over wind. I know what the thermals will do and when. I can count on it. Not so with wind.

Hard down or up thermal with no wind is about as good as it gets.

Didn’t see one direction quote.....still sticking to my calm and thermals. Winds in the mountains, draws, slopes, are never stable. “Tooth Fairy” real type question.

16-Feb-19
Not even a question IMO.

16-Feb-19
Give me a 10-12mph breeze any day.

16-Feb-19
What he said^^^^^

16-Feb-19
Wind for me

16-Feb-19
Wind is your friend...or your worst enemy.

I'm a Minnesota flat lander but I've learned to work the mountain breezes pretty well. They'll screw you 9 times outta 10 though. What it is.

16-Feb-19
Where did I put that Magic Wand..... was around here somewhere..... too late..... one hand full already..... =D

16-Feb-19
I'll go with wind every time.

16-Feb-19
Well here in WY I have never scene anything but a swirling wind!!

16-Feb-19
I love a bright sunny day no wind. Learn the thermals where you hunt and they are very dependable on the right days. Plus I can hear a silent bull coming in from sticks and brush rustling

17-Feb-19
I am a breeze guy with it into my face as much as possible.

I hate big wind like with the Thunderstorms...….dangerous for trees coming down ect.

Good luck, Robb

17-Feb-19
Where I hunt in Wyoming a dead calm day is rare. When it occurs the odds favor the elk because they feed and bed in areas where the thermals swirl a lot. I don't like the BIG winds Wyoming is famous for but give me rustling quakies every day.

17-Feb-19
Predictable wind direction allows me the right approach & setup before calling. The same would apply to a Spot & Stalk or a Call & Stalk encounter where terrain allowed a silent stealthy approach. Most dark timber areas I hunt do not allow this feature so it becomes an automatic calling situation, wind direction is crucial at that time!

ElkNut/Paul

ElkNut/Paul

17-Feb-19
I'd take the dead calm day as I am a whitetail hunter in Wisconsin with tight small valleys and any wind isn't in 1 direction it just swirls around and can cause havoc

18-Feb-19
The wind wins easily, not only for deer not catching your scent but also getting your bow drawn. You ever try and draw a bow on a deer at 10 yards when dead calm? 8 to 15 mph is perfect. Shawn

18-Feb-19
For sure, a steady breeze.

19-Feb-19
Love the challenge either way. When anything is predictable, hunters become predictable. Love changing up on the fly. Heck, I'll take swirling winds too! I think there's way too much hype associated with the wind based on what I've experienced ;)

• Sitka Gear