Shawn 25-Mar-19
Pyrannah 25-Mar-19
Jaquomo 25-Mar-19
Buffalo1 25-Mar-19
txhunter58 25-Mar-19
Jaquomo 25-Mar-19
txhunter58 27-Mar-19
17-Feb-19
Somebody posted a video over on Deer Hunter forum about new research that claims CWD is caused by a bacteria instead of a prion (which everybody else's research claims is the case) but the link didn't work. Anyone heard about this ?

17-Feb-19
I hope he turns out to be right. That would be the first good news on CWD we have had.

17-Feb-19
Thanks for the link JTV

17-Feb-19
Very interesting. I'm curious where this goes...especially for CJD and Alzheimer's.

17-Feb-19
That connection to CJD could be interesting as well. Would not be the first time science is turned on its ear! Hell, look at how long it took to debunk the flat earth and earth as the center of the universe...

17-Feb-19
That link is 8 years old and the only person pushing the bacteria theory that I can see is this Dr. Bastian.

I hope that he's correct since it would simplify the CWD problem greatly.

But I can't help but feel that there must be a reason why in 8 years nobody else has looked into this.

17-Feb-19
It makes sense to me. CWD seems to be something that isn’t new. And doesn’t affect herds that are more sparsely populated. Since reality and history has shown that anytime you congregate any species to tight, eating, urinating, and defecating in the same areas, you get diseases that arise. I don’t know why this is any different.

Not saying it’s true but, no one can suggest it isn’t valuable at this point either.

18-Feb-19
The 2011 article was updated with the vid that is dated Feb 4th, 2019.

18-Feb-19
I wish everyone would stop freaking out about CWD. It's been around as long as we have probably

18-Feb-19
How did Alzheimer’s get thrown in with JCD? It’s not a “prion” disease. Just curious

25-Mar-19
Mad cows, diabetes, and Parkinson’s disease

One of the reasons that Alsheimer's, MS, vCJD, early onset dementia, and related diseases at "thrown in" with CWD is that the symptoms for all of these diseases are inter-related. Diagnosis of these diseases are dependent upon the expertise and experience of the diagnosing physician and not diagnostic tests for the simple fact that autopsies are rarely performed anymore. Insurance does not cover the cost for autopsies and related tests which would confirm diagnosis. Autopsies mostly occur for medico-legal reasons or covered by a research grant.

For example, when it comes to CWD, states that survey for the disease use a commercial assay which identifies potential positives. These "positives" must be sent to the Ames laboratory for immunohistochemical staining to confirm the presence of the CWD prion. A certain percentage of the samples turn out to be false positive. The screening assay only tells if the CWD prion is at the detectable level...not that an animal is negative for the CWD prion. It could be infected at a subclinical undetectable level at the time of testing.

25-Mar-19

elkstabber's Link
Hopefully there aren't too many people buying into Dr Bastian's theory about bacteria vs prion. The experts are all still saying that CWD is caused by prions.

25-Mar-19

elkstabber's Link
It seems that other scientists haven't been able to duplicate the results by Dr Bastian's research. This makes his theory much less credible.

25-Mar-19
Wonder if its a chicken-egg thing with prions-bacteria?

With "global warming", the Vostok ice cores clearly show that CO2 buildup in the atmosphere follows the warming. This has held true for every warming cycle for the past 400K years. Now political scientists are claiming that CO2 precedes the warming, with only a couple decades worth of data to draw on.

25-Mar-19
Remember when a researcher found a bacteria in ulcers in the stomachs of cadavers and he figured it was a bacteria that caused ulcers, he was shunned ,discredited called nuts etc. by the medical community. Well he was right.

One of my hunting partners had ulcers and was pounding down Antacids, I had read several articles about this guys theory and told him to ask his doctor about it, about 6 months later his doctor put him on an antibiotic for it and guess what, ulcers gone!

Think about it, the human stomach is a vessel designed to contain acid, but the thinking at the time was a person with stomach ulcers had too much acid? The current thinking of the experts is not always right. Sometimes they get tunnel vision. Just saying.

25-Mar-19
Kind of like scientist are studying cats as it is rare they contract Lyme disease. They can get it but even when exposed to ticks known to carry Lyme they rarely get it. EHD, CWD has been around for hundreds if not thousands of years and it will be around long after the next ten generations are gone! Shawn

25-Mar-19
Shawn where do u see evidence that it has been around for hundreds or thousands of years?

25-Mar-19
There is no evidence that it just spontaneously appeared one day in the CSU deer pens west of Overland Trail street. Old time ranchers in the area report finding deer exhibiting CWD symptoms since they were kids. They were just deer that got sick and acted strange and died. Nobody thought much about it until they started looking at the brains of the deer at the research labs and found signs of spongiform encephalopathy.

25-Mar-19
Lou if you can spell “spongiform encephalopathy” correctly after a couple of beers at the Bowsite Gathering, I might buy you a beer !! I think you might have earned that beer.

25-Mar-19
There are deer that exhibit the signs you are talking about in Texas too, and they didn’t have CWD. Many things can cause debilitating diseases in deer that look similar. What these ranchers saw COULD have been CWD but I am skeptical. It COULD have been one of 100 other diseases too. Most evidence I have seen still points to CSU. It certainly has not been in Texas until recently. ( migrating from New Mexico and brought in a trailer to deer farms)

25-Mar-19
It was never in Norway reindeer...until it was...and they can't find a link to any exposure anywhere. Those researchers believe prions can spontaneously fold. Now that they've killed the entire reindeer herd it will be interesting to see what happens next, especially since prions persist in the soil.

Scrapie has spontaneously appeared in sheep flocks that had no other exposure. It is a prion-folding affliction too. So it may be that it simply appears in some places and spreads relative to animal density, but not in others.

We will never know where CWD originated, but the Norway situation poses more questions than answers

27-Mar-19
There is more than one way to skin a cat and more than one way to fold a protein. But highly suspect we helped the process somehow at CSU.

Where it originated is not really important. What difference does it make??. That cat is already out of the bag. The question now is what do we do about it. Many people (mostly those tied to the deer farm industry) want to use the “its natural/ its everywhere” info to say we don’t need to worry about it. They want all barriers removed and be allowed to move deer freely. NO!!!

It is only in places in Texas where it migrated from NM and where it was hauled in a trailer. I do not want it on my ranch! It will eventually be on my ranch (I can’t see any other scenario at this point) but I hope it is not in my lifetime.

So arguing over where it originated is like arguing who let the dog out that killed the neighbors chickens. Doesn’t matter any more. And just because the neighbors chickens are dead doesn’t mean it is ok to send dog killing chickens far and wide “because that is natural and what dogs do”

• Sitka Gear