Bowfinatic 01-Jul-21
Korey Wolfe 01-Jul-21
drycreek 01-Jul-21
Bou'bound 01-Jul-21
BULELK1 02-Jul-21
20-Feb-19

Bowfinatic 's embedded Photo
Hunting mountain lion has always been a dream of mine. 2 years ago after a lot of research and reference calls I decided to book with Mackay Bar outfitters based near Riggins, Idaho in the Frank Church Wilderness Area. I made this choice based on a number of factors. I didn't want a typical drive hundreds of mile a day to cut tracks hunt. I wanted a hunt that would challenge me physically and I wanted a chance at an area with really nice Tom's. Mackay Bar checked all those boxes for me. The weather is always a big factor in lion hunting. We were hoping to have some snow on the ground and have the salmon river open so we can cover extra ground via boat. The style of hunt was going to be a ton of hiking trying to cut tracks in the snow if we had some. If not then have the dogs cut track on dry ground. If the river was open we would check all the end of drainage beaches and game trails for tracks. With beginning of February here the weather was creating some real challenges. First plan was to jetboat us up the river but the river had a big ice jam and that wasnt an option. Another option was to snowmobile us over the top of the mountain. We decided the best option was a helicopter ride in from a local friend who bailed us out.

20-Feb-19

20-Feb-19

20-Feb-19

Day1.  Great first day amazing beautiful country. The river still had the ice jam so no boat was available. First day we had very little snow so we were relying on the dogs on the dry ground. The first hike was super steep super rugged! We saw lots of elk, sheep, whitetail and mule deer. Got about 100 yards from 15 sheep and one nice 140 class ram. We had one little chase of dogs smelling something but couldn't turn whatever it was up in the rocks. My buddy (the other hunter) found a fresh killed whitetail doe with a bobcat on it. After a surprisingly short chase they treed the bobcat and my buddy made a great shot for his first ever cat!

20-Feb-19

20-Feb-19
Heck Yeh------------->

Good one for sure

Good luck, Robb

20-Feb-19

Day 2 in the books and we were wore out.  Started off morning 4 wheeling then snowmobiling 3/4 of the way up the mountain then we got off and side hilled up to the top. We had12-24"snoe up high which made for super tough hiking

We hiked all around the saddles and ridges. The worst was some big bolder fields that were tricky going. I took a couple tumbles but thankfully no injuries.  We didn't find any tracks at all however we came back this afternoon to great news that they were able to get a jet boat thru the river which has been jammed up with ice.  This will allow us to cruise way more territory and check up and down the river for fresh tracks or a fresh kill which should up the odds significantly.

My buddy and his guide got on what they thought was a female lion in the afternoon. She ran them ragged. They eventually got bluffed out in some steep nasty rocky area and lost the trail.

20-Feb-19

Day 3

Oh what a sweet day it was! Started off yesterday evening with one of the jet boats able to make it thru the ice dam so we were excited to have more country available to us in the morning. Since we had the boat we started off all together in the jetboat at first light.  We cruised along looking for any fresh track along the riverbank. About 5 miles up Buck (my guide)  stopped at a drainage and sent Harry (my buddies guide) up a cut that historically has a lot of game and cougar sign. Harry came back a couple min later saying their was a frozen track from yesterday. My buddy and I had to decide who was going to hunt since we were together to start so we did the classic best out of three - rock, paper, scissors. I won 2 in a row so game on! 

Down low we have only a little snow along the river so tracks are a challenge.  As you get higher up these mountains there is a little snow to find and follow tracks. Needless to say these hounds noses are amazing.  They are able to follow a day old track on bare ground. Right away the 3 hounds Boots, Tia, and Hank were on the track and getting "catty." A half mile up the cut they opened up and starting baying meaning they have good scent and Hope's were high. 

We climbed halfway up the mountain and started to side hill toward the hounds. Climbing along ledges,  thru boulder fields and steep faces we continued on.  We sometimes hear the distance baying of the dogs, sometimes lose track of them.  After about an hour chase we start coming out toward the head of the cut and see the dogs running hard and super excited. Shortly there after the dogs baying turned into the beautiful music of short barks, this is the treeing bark!

It took us another 15 min to reach the tree and witness the Apex predator perched on a branch 15-20ft up. He was a mature tom with a big blocky head. We tied up the dogs and took a few pictures. Then it was time. Arrow knocked and tom in the sights.  He was facing me so I put the first pin between his legs center mast and hit the release trigger.  The arrow hit right where I wanted pass thru.  He jumped to the next branch and went on the backside of the tree. I quickly reloaded arrow #2 and looked for another opening. He had a bunch of branches along his vitals but I had a small window. Second arrow away and I punched him hard in both shoulders. He immediately dropped from the tree and went tumbling 100 yards down the mountain. 

High fives all around and time for the grip and grin. We finished up pictures and skinning and then made the hike out.

Rest of the day we tried to find my buddy a cat but didn't find anything fresh.

Certainly feel blessed to experience this amazing country and have the opportunity at an awesome cat. 

He ended being around 155lbs with an empty stomach and fully mature

20-Feb-19

20-Feb-19

20-Feb-19
Congrats to your buddy on a great bobcat, to you on a great lion and for taking us on the hunt. Great write up.

20-Feb-19
We searched for another 4 days trying to get on a fresh track but it seemed we were a day late to often. Had a couple more chases but either the tracks were old or the dogs were fooled in the steep rocky areas. Overall it was an incredible hunt. The guides were both top notch. Accommodations were excellent and the food was outstanding. Buck and Joni who own Mackay Bar did everything in their power to ensure us a great hunt and every chance to be successful. Would highly recommend them for those who want both a chance at a great lion and a extreme physical challenge as well

20-Feb-19
Awsome! Thanks for sharing.

20-Feb-19
Nice ! Hiking in the winter mountains, snow machine rides, jet boat, helicopter rides, wow that’s worth price of admission right there. What a trip. congradulations on beautiful big cat.

Thanks for sharing a great write up and photos on Bowsite, America premier bowhunting website and resource for all things bowhunting.

20-Feb-19
Awesome lion! Congrats on a great hunt and an impressive story, thanks for sharing it!

20-Feb-19
Congratulations... an adventure indeed.

20-Feb-19
Well, your story and hunt surley perked me up this morning so thanks for that. Nicely done. my best, Paul

20-Feb-19
Sounds like a great trip!

20-Feb-19

Thank you for the kind words. Some incredible sights in the wilderness for sure

20-Feb-19
Wow, very nice....congrats!

20-Feb-19
Very nice! Congrats!

20-Feb-19
Congratulations to both of you on great cats. Great adventure by all accounts. Thanks for sharing

20-Feb-19
Great cat Justin! Congrats!

I’ve got a cat hunt booked for this coming January and I’m pumped!

22-Feb-19
Im sure you will love it JW!

22-Feb-19
Anybody have pics of full mount cougars to share? Would love to see some ideas. Txs

22-Feb-19
A great adventure and an awesome cat congrats!

22-Feb-19

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
Congrats to you and your buddy, Justin! Helicopters and jet boats. Not your typical cat hunt!

Here’s a pic of my lion I killed in 2012.

22-Feb-19

Dennis Razza's embedded Photo
Dennis Razza's embedded Photo
Looks like a great adventure. Beautiful cat! Congrats!!

22-Feb-19
Not your everyday cat hunt! Congratulations!!

22-Feb-19
Congrats thanks for sharing.

24-Feb-19
Awesome hunt and congrats on a really nice lion.

24-Feb-19
Cool story. Grats on your lion.

24-Feb-19
Awesome....doing a trade with a well known cat hunter out of utah for a Mountain lion hunt... !!!

24-Feb-19
Nice lion! Thanks for sharing your write up with us. Kevin

24-Feb-19
Congratulations on a super hunt.....definitely on my bucket list!

24-Feb-19
Great job on great animals congrats to both of you Lewis

25-Feb-19
Thank you T-roy and Dennis for the mount pics!

25-Feb-19
What an adventure!

01-Apr-19

Taxi sent me my unofficial cougar score of 15 1/8" on the skull! Cool that it's a book cat

01-Apr-19
Booner no less! What an awesome adventure! Congratulations!

Please follow up with the finished taxidermy! Would love to see how he turns out!

01-Apr-19
Thanks for sharing. Sounds like a great adventure.

01-Apr-19
Way to go, great lion!

01-Jul-21

Well it took me a year to decide on taxidermist and 16 months to get the finished product but I was not disappointed!

01-Jul-21

I used Philip soucy studios out of MT for the taxidermy

01-Jul-21
Very nice write up! Congrats on the cat...something I will have to do one of these days.

01-Jul-21
“ but I was not disappointed !” I should say not ! That’s a helluva cat and a great mount. I’d say your hunt and the results were just about perfect !

01-Jul-21
Soucey is the best for sure

02-Jul-21
He looks great!

Congrats,

Robb

• Sitka Gear