Brotsky 20-Feb-19
huntabsarokee 20-Feb-19
Brotsky 20-Feb-19
JTV 20-Feb-19
huntabsarokee 20-Feb-19
x-man 20-Feb-19
Starfire 20-Feb-19
20-Feb-19
I dug out an old Hoyt Ultra Mag and was setting it up for shooting. Its been in storage for many years and I thought I noticed some string stretch so I thought I would bring it into spec. Spec sheet says 36" ATA and 7 1/8" BH. Bow was at 36.5/7. Put 20 twists in the string and 10 in ea. cable. The BH is now 7 1/8 but it is only 36.25. Is that close enough or is there a way to shorten brace height without increasing BH? if not which would you go for; spec BH or spec ATA?

20-Feb-19
That's pretty close. How does it shoot? Hard to get them back exactly when your string has creeped a lot. I'd get a new string myself....I don't trust them after they have been stored a long time and strings are way better today than they used to be anyway. I don't get much creep these days.

20-Feb-19
+1 on the new string. I would get new threads on it and then bring it into spec. Specs are also not exact, if draw weight and length is correct and she shoots good then you are close enough.

20-Feb-19
What is considered a "correct" draw weight meaning if I have 60 pound limbs is 58.25 pounds close enough? Asking bc I happen to take measurements of my new bow last night. Brace height was right on. A to A was 3/16 long and I was 1.75 pounds under with bolts all the way in. The poundage is what made me measured the rest because I figured with 60 pound limbs I would be closer to 61 or 62. I was thinking about taking it to the shop and asking them what they thought and if they could put a few twists in the cable to gain a few pounds. Bow is like new with maybe 50 or so shots so not sure there is much stretch.

Sorry to change the topic but I too would replace the strings and cables if they are more than 5 years old regardless how much they were shot.

20-Feb-19
What kind of bow absarokee? You could shorten the cables a little to get it back into spec and that would increase your draw length slightly and increase draw weight up to 60. The problem is you need to insure that this does not impact your cam timing, etc. Lots to consider!

20-Feb-19
a 1/4" is no big deal, even identical bows out of the box can vary to a degree, I'd rather be close to brace myself ... I hate changing cables/string, I do it my self ... usually the bow is shooting sweet and then you change everything, then fight getting back to specs and the speed it used to be ...

20-Feb-19
Realm x, probably will shoot it a little more and if all is well will learn to live with the 58 pounds.

Prefer not to increase draw length but if could drop back to 29.5 on the cam setting from 30.0 since I feel like I could go 1/4" shorter.

20-Feb-19
ATA and BH will both change depending on the limb rating and whether or not the limb bolts are bottomed out.

20-Feb-19
X-man. I was wondering about that. My limbs are not bottomed out.

• Sitka Gear