PO Cedar 23-Feb-19
PO Cedar 23-Feb-19
BULELK1 24-Feb-19
BULELK1 24-Feb-19
BULELK1 24-Feb-19
Mule Power 24-Feb-19
PO Cedar 24-Feb-19
21-Feb-19
I didn't want to hijack the other thread going as I have a slightly different situation. For my Wyoming hunt I will be camping in a location where I can do most of my hunting right from my basecamp. I may be driving to another location from camp but I should be hunting right from camp and returning every night. I had planned to just sleep in my backpacking tent, which is pretty roomy for 1 person, and have one of those mesh sided tents set up to hang out in if adverse weather rolls in. I will also use this as my eating area. There is a possibility that I would be spiking out into the wilderness with my buddy so I wonder if it would be best to pick up a 4 man tent to set up for basecamp and keep my backpack tent available if I need to pack in? If I were to pack in and actually kill and elk I could pack a quarter out and camp would be set up when I return. Thoughts and opinions are appreciated.

21-Feb-19

cnelk's Link
Mark - some possibilities for you - see link

21-Feb-19

cnelk's Link
More - see link

21-Feb-19
I have to say ... about 20 years ago I bit the broad head and bought a cabin tent. They make the most comfortable Base camp imaginable. Add a stove and I prefer it over the fanciest Four Seasons Resort.

21-Feb-19
I purchased a Kodiak tent couple years ago -- far and away the best tent I've ever owned. 10 x 14, on sale less than $500.00. Took it out of the box and had it up in less than 7 minutes by myself. (They say "up in less than 5 minutes) Which I could have done if I had hurried. Follow the directions to "cure" (water proof) it.

The reviews were great.

Used it in CO last year and we had a torrential down poor with 40+ winds - not one drop inside and handled the wind just fine.

Would highly recommend this tent for a base camp.

**EDIT - I just noticed the other thread. Oh well.

21-Feb-19
I've had two Cabelas Outback Lodge tents. They are roomy and bullet proof. Been in some nasty storms with high winds and even had a large limb fly off a tree in the middle of the night and it held up and kept us dry. Set up is fairly easy and I've done it by myself most years. I called all the stores bargain barns and found one for a great price. They then did a store transfer that cost me nothing and I picked it up locally. However, that was back in the day when Cabelas was still Cabelas and not BassPro/Cabelas. (Don't get me started on that rant!) Anyway, my only complaint about the outback lodge is that it needs a porch which I have always made myself with a tarp. However, I saw the new version has addressed that issue.

21-Feb-19

PO Cedar's embedded Photo
I set up a tarp/tentcot combo down at the truck when I came down from my bivy camp up on top. I used it every 7-8 days through the archery season when I needed to replenish food, charge batteries...

21-Feb-19

21-Feb-19

Sam's embedded Photo
Best money I ever spent. Of course only feasible if your vehicle stays put, many folks mount them above a trailer for more versatility.
Sam's embedded Photo
Best money I ever spent. Of course only feasible if your vehicle stays put, many folks mount them above a trailer for more versatility.

21-Feb-19
Another big fan of a wall tent with a stove for a base camp.

21-Feb-19
Bowfreak, the idea of a larger tent for base camp and a small backpack tent for bivy hunts is a sound one in my opinion. I have used that kind of set up many times. I own a 6 person Big Agnes, but there are many other good options shown here also. Pick one you like and you'll be good. I must admit however, to being baffled by the tent on top of the truck setup.

21-Feb-19
Another vote for the kodiak with a heater buddy. Better than a hotel.

21-Feb-19
I prefer a good wall tent also. A wood stove is great when you can use it. Where I have been hunting it is rare to get to use one in the general archery season due to fire restrictions. The F.S. makes no exceptions for spark arrestors.

21-Feb-19
I'd keep my eye out on craigslist for a smaller canvas wall tent. I happen to agree that this would be so much more useful and comfortable that it would make the trip. Something about sitting next to a fire under a lantern glow that makes hunting camps worth it.

21-Feb-19
Cabellas guide gear tents are bulletproof and will stand up to that DIY Kodiak Island hunt you’ll have to plan now that you have the tent for it

22-Feb-19
I think it would be a good idea to get a big tent for base camp/truck camping. And a small lightweight one for backpacking.

I use a Kifaru 12 man tipi for base camp. It’s like a wall tent but much lighter and easier to carry and setup.

22-Feb-19
As has been noted, Craigslist usually lists a bunch of 'used once, I hate camping!' tents for sale at bargain prices. If you're truck camping, no need to go small. I'd opt for 'big enough for cots and a folding table.'

22-Feb-19
Springbar tent for me. Canvas, many sizes available, easy setup, made in the US. I believe Kodiak is a China knockoff of the Springbar. As mentioned above, enough room for a cot and small table equals great comfort which is welcomed on longer hunts.

22-Feb-19
Whatever you get, make sure it has a rainfly that goes all the way to the ground.

22-Feb-19
Springbar has plenty of Chinese made tents. Most of them they sell are.

22-Feb-19

midwest's embedded Photo
With optional vestibule.
midwest's embedded Photo
With optional vestibule.
midwest's embedded Photo
10 x 10 is perfect for a solo hunt.
midwest's embedded Photo
10 x 10 is perfect for a solo hunt.
midwest's embedded Photo
Lots of snow on this hunt.
midwest's embedded Photo
Lots of snow on this hunt.
The Kodiak's are awesome, Mark. Go up quick, withstand rain, snow, and wind. Mine has never let me down.

22-Feb-19
Agree a good wall tent with a stove is great for a base camp. If the weather is wet you can stay warm and dry.

23-Feb-19

Mule Power's embedded Photo
Mule Power's embedded Photo
The Wall Tent Shop out of Idaho. Best one of any I’ve used. Best price on angle kits for the frame too. You get 1” emt conduit from Home Depot for that. Free shipping too.

23-Feb-19
The last post sort of jogged my memory. My friend in the area has a few canvas wall tents that his outfitter buddy gave him. He had to pack in quite a ways to get them so he left the frames. Wonder if it would be possible to have him figure out what it would take to get some materials for a frame? He had mentioned it would be no problem to set them up and he could just cut poles. I've never hunted out of one so I don't know if this is plausible or how one sets up?

23-Feb-19

Canada, 1982..with cut poles...

23-Feb-19

With military poles...

23-Feb-19

I have the tent Mike posted on one of my military trailers....

23-Feb-19

I used the Rooftop tent on my Taco on a flyfishing trip in Utah but heaving the dog up and down got to be a chore...

23-Feb-19
Using natural poles (lodgepole) isn’t something you’re going to master the first time. The As on both ends have to lean in toward each other. But a really easy way to do it is use an A for the front door side, put your ridgepole on top, and ratchet the other end of the ridge pole to a standing tree. Solid!

You could also get an angle kit from the wall tent shop and cut the poles from 1 inch conduit easily found at Home Depot.

23-Feb-19

23-Feb-19
Help me understand the benefit of having a tent mounted on a vehicle or trailer? I see them from time to time and frankly don't understand the "why".

23-Feb-19
Google Eena TT made by Beckle Canvass out of Oregon. I’ve had the 14’X14’ for several years and use it from northern BC to Wyoming. It’s kind of a square hybrid tipi single pole design. They’re popular with the horse and fly in guides because of weight and compact storage.

We have slept four on cots with a wood stove, but that’s tight. Great two man, late season tent.

23-Feb-19
Mule Power,

My buddy who has the tents knows how to pitch them. He worked for an outfitter (the one that gave him these tents) for years in his spare time. I wouldn't know how to pitch one myself and would just take a 6 or 8 man camping tent.

23-Feb-19
Matt x2....I would also like to hear the reasoning behind having a tent on top of your truck.

23-Feb-19
x3 on the tent on top of truck?

23-Feb-19

Mule Power's Link
Gotcha Bowfreak. Another option is Buckstitch Canvas out of Cody Wyoming. They make spike tents. You can pick walls in 2, 4, or 5 foot height depending on the weight you want to handle. 8x8 or 10x10. The 2 & 4 foot walls use only a center pole. The 5 foot walls also use corner posts.

You can get standard canvas. Or at half the weight they make those in what’s called Li-Tent. I just bought an 8x8 that is only 19 pounds. Backpackable. It’s super strong material but as with many of the lighter materials you may get some condensation. Mine has a stove jack for a woodstove. The woodstove will stay on the mountain. See the link.

23-Feb-19

Fast setup, 3 mattress, sleeping bag, pillow, already inside...2-3 minute takedown, set up...unzip the protective cover, grab the ladder, pull it down, tent erects, place a few rods in slots for awnings over window..take a pea jug in the tent with you, zzzzzzz....

23-Feb-19

23-Feb-19

24-Feb-19

BULELK1's embedded Photo
BULELK1's embedded Photo
I went with the Roof Top Tent as well but on a 5 x 8 enclosed trlr that does double duty when not being used for a scouting/hunting camp

Good Luck, Robb

24-Feb-19

BULELK1's embedded Photo
Inside is the Kitchen & storage area, I use a 1500 generator for the microwave and TV/DVD
BULELK1's embedded Photo
Inside is the Kitchen & storage area, I use a 1500 generator for the microwave and TV/DVD

24-Feb-19

BULELK1's embedded Photo
I have been in big wind Thunderstorms and some early heavy snow, I did just fine
BULELK1's embedded Photo
I have been in big wind Thunderstorms and some early heavy snow, I did just fine

24-Feb-19
That’s a pretty nice setup Robb. Must be tough to go home.

24-Feb-19

Some friend's camping with rooftop tents, awnings here by the house at LBL..

• Sitka Gear