Mule Power 22-Feb-19
GBTG 22-Feb-19
Z Barebow 22-Feb-19
TEmbry 22-Feb-19
Graveyard 22-Feb-19
Treeline 22-Feb-19
IdyllwildArcher 22-Feb-19
21-Feb-19
Never been there but I saw a show on youtube.

21-Feb-19
I saw a guy on Instagram drew...

21-Feb-19
Dang it, I was just going to ask...Now I feel a lil self conscious!

21-Feb-19
Ha! Yep, it's amazing the guys that do their research AFTER they draw a tag!

21-Feb-19
I like the pm's that I get saying they don't want my honey hole just a place where they can go and shoot a bull that will score 350 that's fairly close to the road.

21-Feb-19
I don’t want anybody’s honey hole....buuuuuuuuut...

21-Feb-19
I don't need the exact spot, but if I can see it from there that would be good.

21-Feb-19
Well, I didn't draw so you can safely share all your best spots with me. :) Point creep killed me this year. Last year I would have drawn with my amount of points but not this year. Oh well, I should catch up next year.

21-Feb-19
Man you all are so right! It drives me nuts too when someone does a bunch of research, puts in for a specific tag, gets the tag, then wants to further their research ( and their daydreaming ) in the 7 or so months until the season starts by asking a bunch of fellow bow hunters for further advice to increase their odds of success. Just draw the tag and go in blind I say!

21-Feb-19
I can agree with scoot but I can also agree with and appreciate BullSac's sarcasm. This place is a good resource, but it can also be a difficult place to ask for help. Most places I apply I know quite a bit about because I have done prior research but I also don't spend a lot of time researching extreme long shot units. So I admit, I might be looking for some input in a couple weeks when I draw Arizona Unit 9. ;^)

21-Feb-19
BullSac, there's a BIG difference between someone doing their due diligence and then asking some specific questions, as opposed to someone that didn't bother to learn anything about the area they applied for beforehand, but then wants to be spoon-fed every step of the way.

21-Feb-19
Wyo: Agreed. I like to help those who are willing to help themselves, and just ignore those who want a handout. In all honesty though, I don’t think I’ve seen an example on here of someone who did no research at all and is looking to be spoon fed. I think most do their due-dilligence prior to asking questions, they just may not articulate their research well enough to get much interest from experienced guys. I’ve met some great people on this site who have PM’d me looking for advice. Never turned a single one down and have never experienced anything but graciousness and appreciation. They have also put me on some really good spots in other states that I wasn’t familiar with.

21-Feb-19
These are always interesting to read, I found that all and all most guys are helpful on bowsite. This will be my first elk hunt ever and was lucky enough to draw a general tag with my best friend with zero points. Really just applied because at least you have a shot, with anticipation it would not happen. In reality probably would have never done as much research about Wyoming if it wasn't for Bowsite. Funny thing is that I am afraid to close the screen that says success because I will wake up and realize it didnt happen.

As far as research goes I have done some on several units in anticipation that I might draw but did not dig into it deep based on figuring it wouldn't happen. Either way I am looking forward to process and hope along the way I can gather some insight from others who have drawn a general tag and hunted the areas I am looking at. So I am sure I will be asking some of the questions everyone hates. Kind of like gettin access to a new place to whitetail hunt, all people can do is say no. Regardless of outcome I can't wait to get to Wyoming in September and complete a life long dream of hunting Elk with my best friend in September. Stories and pic from bowsiter's like scoot, wyobullshooter, chessehead Mike is reason I won the lottery this year. Thanks guys and good luck to all those still waiting on other state's results.

21-Feb-19
^^^ That's why I took a screen shot of mine, just to make sure! Lol...

22-Feb-19
Comical thread Scott!!!

Good luck, Robb

22-Feb-19
Too funny Scoot. It makes sense why a person wouldn't do much research before drawing a WY Gen tag (like KSBOW above). Now they've got 7 months to research. This year for the first time I have a hunting partner that wants to go where Griz live so I'll be researching WY in a new way.

22-Feb-19
I don’t know... for me hunt planning has started while I’m still hunting. It’s a never ending thing. It really kicks into high gear as soon as the season ends because, especially in Wyoming, I know it won’t be long until it’s time to apply for a license. By the time I do apply I damn sure know where I’m going. To me applying for a tag and not knowing that would be like putting marriage before dating! Lol I might want to go out and get boots on the ground but I won’t be making a “any pointers?” thread. If a bunch of guys on the internet can tell me where to hunt it’s probably not somewhere I want to be anyway. If I asked about an area and nobody ever heard of it I’d be more interested. Haha

22-Feb-19
Bowsiters have helped me tremendously over the years. I say ask for help if you want especially on draw type hunts and help if you want! Thanks to all those who've helped on my Utah and WY hunts.

22-Feb-19
I know Scoot is just giving folks the needle. But there is an element of truth to the post. Although most folks are pretty respectful of hunting knowledge, invariably there are some posters (Many times new to forum) that ask for info in this fashion.

"Long time lurker, first time poster. I finally drew a primo elk tag in X unit. Looking to find out all I can about elk hunting in this unit. Not looking for any honey holes, but I sure would not be opposed! LOL! I don't need a 350 bull, but I sure wouldn't chase one away." Spike

I won't give these folks the time of day. But if they indicate that they have done the research in a unit, and are looking for some local verification if they are on the right track. (And state they want PM's only), I will reach out to them. Do not give landmarks publicly. That is the best way to send everyone and his mother to Elk Mountain.

Like others, I have had nothing but positive experience from fellow bowsiters. A few years ago I drew a pretty good tag. Because I have been here a while, I PM'd some folks that I thought may have hunted that unit. Some of them had. But sometimes they had not, but knew a fellow BS'er that had. I would reach out and go from there.

Good luck to all who drew Wyo. Good luck on your research and your hunt!

22-Feb-19
I spend very little time on the details of a tag I most likely will not draw anyway. Now once I get up in the point category I know I’ll draw I approach the planning just like an OTC hunt because I’m almost assuredly going. When you do 10-12 hunts a year you don’t have time to waste on hypothetical ones.

So I can appreciate both sides of the coin on this topic.

22-Feb-19
Guys, I was our group leader for my Dad and 2 brothers. We put in with what we thought were 9 points each. Didn't draw. looked at the results and see that 100% drew with 9 points. So I called asking what the F%%. Turns out my younger bro forgot to put in for a point in 2015 so only had 8, our group was less than 9. Oh boy. Well whatever, luv him no matter what for he is the best and if not for him we prolly wouldn't be hunting and killing elk every year. Back to Montana public this year, to our honey holes and hot spots. Karma says we kill a nice one, or 2 More to come in September.

22-Feb-19
I like learning new areas.

Finally burned my points on an elk area in WY that I will likely only hunt once in my lifetime. Not too worried about getting into elk but will need to be on alert for the big bears. Usually figure out where to get into elk pretty quick about anywhere.

This year could get real tough though.

In on an Arizona elk tag with monster bulls that I have a better chance of drawing than I did in Wyoming. Have great intel and horses available down there...

In for a bison tag and competing with one other guy (based on last year’s results) for the max point tag so basically have two good chances there. Heck, the other guy is a buddy and I might go with him if he draws and I don’t pull too many other tags!

Heck, I have piles of points for sheep, goats and moose in a number of other states so might get lucky on one of those.

Hopefully the wife will understand when I tell her I need to quit my job and go hunting for three months:-)

22-Feb-19
Tavis, that's a good problem to have.

• Sitka Gear