Adventurewriter 23-Feb-19
sptsman4 23-Feb-19
Whip 23-Feb-19
FullTime 24-Feb-19
osage 24-Feb-19
DonVathome 05-Mar-19
Hawkarcher 05-Mar-19
22-Feb-19
I took my 93 year old dad on a late season Antelope hunt and although we had a few chances it just too much for him to get the whole act together. I found a ranch bison hunt for an '"old cow" and he is excited to go for it. It give him something to look forward to and at his age will kind feel like a hunt to him (debate free please) With that said the meat will be a big part and asking how it is????

22-Feb-19
I took an old cow on the Henry Mountains and it was excellent.

22-Feb-19
Hell yeah! Let me know when and I’ll come help if you need it!

22-Feb-19
Save the hide and make a nice rug out of it. You can`t beat buffalo meat for the table.

Hunting is not about what others think....if it makes your fathers day....DO IT!!! Anyone that can`t understand that SCREW EM.

22-Feb-19
Tavis let me see they are confirming the cow is still available and I should know in the next few days.... It would be fun...

22-Feb-19
I killed a cow elk this year and she was tough as shoe leather. Usually tenderness is a result of age. That being said, I want to go on a bison hunt!!!!

22-Feb-19
If a person over 90 yrs old is still able to get out there, I don't care if you walk it by them on a lead rope. I hope I'm still getting excited about hunting if and when I'm that age.

22-Feb-19
Bison meat a fabulous and a slow cooker makes it even better

22-Feb-19
Kudos to you AND your Dad! Be sure and post it up here if you can!

23-Feb-19
I can only hope that my kids will continue to take me hunting when I am of a age when I can't go by myself! Good for you for taking your Dad out!

23-Feb-19
Worst case scenario is you will have a bunch of great burger meat.

23-Feb-19

ahunter76's embedded Photo
ahunter76's embedded Photo
I took one a few years back & then 6 years later my Daughter took one. Both Mature Cows. ALL the meat was awesome. Best ever. We had nothing but hamburger & steaks made.. Good Luck & have a fun time...

23-Feb-19

Adventurewriter's embedded Photo
Adventurewriter's embedded Photo
Last successful hunt was his second Colorado moose.... the first moose was a Medium bull when he was a young whipper snapper of I think about 80??? The cow was at like 89???

23-Feb-19
That’s freakin awesome Adventure.

23-Feb-19
Have a great time with your Dad my friend.

Good luck, Robb

23-Feb-19
I agree with nvgoat. Worst case, a giant pile of burger. How cool your 93 yo dad still wants to hunt and how lucky for you!

23-Feb-19
Good stuff I hope you and your father have a great adventure and many more.

23-Feb-19
Shot an older Utah cow, steaks are tough. Disappointing.

23-Feb-19
As others have said "GOOD ON YOU" and your Dad

23-Feb-19
No Buff. too Tough!

23-Feb-19
Age those things and it doesn't matter how old they are.

How old is an old cow they are selling? Age it 2 weeks at least and it will be great. The burger will also be great , no added fat needed.

23-Feb-19

cubdrvr's Link

23-Feb-19
I'd be happy to test it out for you! Good Luck!

23-Feb-19
Jerky heaven If it’s tough just get a meat tenderizer. I do it to almost all game steaks. Dredge in flower and fry it. Makes good gravy along with mashed potatoes. Can’t think of anything finer.

23-Feb-19
I was at the super market the other day. Bison and elk ground were 10 dollars a pound. Bison loin steak were 30 dollars a pound!

23-Feb-19
Still waiting to hear if they are going to have one available... you get to keep it all skull......hide..... I don't think my skull boiling pot is big enough...maybe anybody need to feed your beetles?....might just salt the hide.... I have a kick ass grinder... and yes above I am familiar with the baking soda trick and actually posted a thread a few years back called the baking soda miracle it REALLY works

23-Feb-19
My hunting buddy shot a 9 year old bull a few years ago. It was tough! Burger was great but steaks and roasts had to be slow cooked or pressure cooked with vinegar and water to tenderize it enough to eat and then it was still fairly tough. A younger animal or a cow may be better.

23-Feb-19
I also shot a Utah Henry Mountains cow. She was an old girl, and the steaks and roasts were tough as boot leather. I tried every trick known to cooks in an effort to tenderize them but finally gave up on steaks and roasts. Ended up grinding most into burger and that was fabulous! Also canned a bunch of it - excellent as well. Go for it. There is always a way to utilize the meat.

23-Feb-19
I shot an older bull moose this season. I tried all my former game recipes and the meat kept coming out very chewy although the flavor was excellent. I heard about the Instantpot (fancy new digital pressure cooker/slow cooker combo) on bowsite. It's fantastic. Put a 2 pound roast in frozen, 1.5 hours later you have the finest meat available. I do the burger in there too for tacos, pasta, etc. The connective tissue just melts away. I highly recommend it for anyone cooking tougher/less desirable cuts of game.

Good luck on the hunt! Post pics

-SSS

24-Feb-19
It comes down to preference. If you only have so much money to spend and you want a buffalo an old cow is your cheapest choice. Big picture thinking would tell you that the CHEAPEST way wouldn't be quite so cheap if the end product was better. You know people that think a chicken fried steak is the best meal on the planet. They will think an old cow is awesome. You also know people that like to eat a good ribeye from a beef steer. They won't be satisfied with an old cow on the table. They will feed the steaks from an old cow to the dog...then the dog will not talk to him for a couple days because his jaws are worn out. "Delicious" is in the eye of the beholder. Something nobody has mentioned yet is that an old cow will not produce as much meat as the same size bull because she will be much skinnier and out of shape (if she was in good shape the rancher wouldn't let you harvest her because she is the factory for more baby buffalo). An old cow will provide a fun day on the prairie for your grandfather and some burger that will be great. That is awesome. If you want some great steaks and roasts you should go for a meat bull. Good luck and have a blast.

24-Feb-19
No matter what, it still has to be better than an expired dairy cow from McDonalds.

05-Mar-19
Based on my middle aged cow I would say it would be awesome - flavor wise might be tough but still great.

05-Mar-19
I don’t know what loesshillsarcher shot in Alberta but he left some last weekend when he was in town for the Iowa FNAWS banquet. Made stew in a Dutch oven on low for a few hours and it was magnificent. Even took some for my employees who don’t like such things and they enjoyed it.

• Sitka Gear