walks with a gimp 23-Feb-19
WapitiBob 23-Feb-19
spike78 23-Feb-19
DarrinG 24-Feb-19
MjMorrow 24-Feb-19
WV Mountaineer 24-Feb-19
GLB 24-Feb-19
23-Feb-19
What would you recondmend to someone that has shot and bowhunted with Trad for over 30 years? I shot a compound in the early 90s for couple years but stayed with the Trad bows. What I am looking for is a very forgiving bow, something that is easy to shoot for accuracy and maintain tune. Probably long axle to axle with the poundage between 55 and 60.

23-Feb-19
I would shoot every single one you can get your hands on! Bowtech, prime, Mathews, Hoyt would all be options.

23-Feb-19
Shoot them all, let the bow pick you. In addition to what was mentioned above, shoot Diamond, PSE, Bear, Martin, Darton and Diamond.

23-Feb-19
Buy an older Mathews finger bow, say Conquest. The perform very well and are plenty quick and quiet. They can be had for around 250 bucks. If you want a new bow look at Mathews, Hoyt and possibly PSE and look for one that has a BH of 7"s or more and at least 38"s long. Shawn

23-Feb-19
The Mathews Halon X looks like it has the features I would look for.

23-Feb-19
you gonna shoot fingers or a release. I myself would be interested in a good finger bow in the 50-55 # range but haven't looked.

23-Feb-19
I would use a release.

23-Feb-19
Even the shorter 30" axle to axle bows shoot very accurately at hunting distances. Don't fall for the all the speed you can get bug and stay with a 7 inch or more brace height. Get something that is easy for you to draw and has a forgiving valley.

23-Feb-19
Wait for the longer axle version of the Reckoning that will be coming out end of the year or early next year.

23-Feb-19
For long ATA check out Elite Victory

24-Feb-19
Look at a 2019 PSE Stinger Extreme. Single cam (easy to keep in tune), 7" plus brace height, plenty fast enough and AFFORDABLE.

24-Feb-19
I have spent all of my January and Up until yesterday shooting my next potential bow and I shot them all but again im going with a Mathews again the Vertix seems to be for me far and away the best bow for me and my applications. I think most every other bow maker has been recycling old technology again and again. Mathews seems to get it right or at least improve every new line of bows they produce. But again thats the Bow that chose me you will have to find the one for you.

24-Feb-19
If you are shooting a release, I'd not get hung up on the axle to axle length as long as the string angle makes seeing through a peep acceptable. Short bows have been perfected by Mathews. They shoot very well. My only advice would be to get a brace height 7 inches or more or, shorten your draw length a 1/2" to keep string clearance reliable with hunting clothes on. Which would negate the speed advantage for a shorter brace height. So, buy a longer brace height bow is my biggest tip.

Shoot as many as you can before you buy. Don't forget the knock off brands too. An example being Mission. They make great hunting bows with the same technology as their counter part Mathews. They use less paint, different limb pocket material, etc... Still backed with a lifetime warranty. Good luck and enjoy the search. Compounds have come light years since you last shot them. You will be pleasantly surprised.

24-Feb-19
Thanks for the replies. Even though I hunt with longbows and recurves one of my favorites shooting sports is precision rifle shooting. I have several customs and I am obsessed with precision. I have hunted with them but rarely do. Anyway if I get a compound I would be buying it for precision shooting (targets) and probably do some hunting with it.

• Sitka Gear