otcWill 26-Feb-19
Billyvanness 04-Mar-19
lylewillmarth 05-Mar-19
lylewillmarth 05-Mar-19
lylewillmarth 05-Mar-19
24-Feb-19

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
For those that have bow hunted unit 61 during elk season in Sept, have you seen any bears? Thanks, My best, Paul

24-Feb-19
hunted 62 last year, bear sign everywhere. Saw three. of the four guys in our camp we saw a total of 8.

24-Feb-19
I’ve been in 61 once and 62 many times. Always saw a lot of bears Paul.

24-Feb-19

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo

Yep. Plenty

24-Feb-19
They clean up any carcasses pretty quickly from what we saw.

24-Feb-19
There are a ton of bears that's why it is now a b tag and you can get two

24-Feb-19
Paul, My info is very old but if you would like to know the areas that I know where bears were killed and seen in Sept. In 61. You can pm me your phone number and I will call you after I refresh my memory with my old maps. Maybe others can give you some up to date info. I did have one come in to about 5 yds. while I was cow/calf calling after an elk was hit and bleeding. I did not have a bear tag and bear season was still a couple of days away. I believe it could have been a young male and I was afraid that l would need to put an arrow into him because he kept circling me and my son. I stood my ground and he finally left. I had a much bigger bear in the back of my pickup in Utah but that is another story. As you are probably aware , 61 can grow some high scoring bears. Best of luck on your hunt........Bob

24-Feb-19
I've been in 61 3 times in the last 6 years. Once with a bow tag, once with a friend that had a bow tag, and then last year with a friend that had a 1st season rifle tag. Saw the most bears the first hunt when I was bow hunting, 6 total. Saw at least a couple of bears each of the other hunts.

24-Feb-19
I will be there this year elk hunting, will try to get a bear tag as well.

Stop by!

24-Feb-19
Good luck, Caz!

24-Feb-19
Yes, plenty of bears. I’ve been in there at least 5 times the last 10 years and always see at least one without even trying. A friend killed a 21” bear there with his bow a couple years ago in a nasty thick hole

25-Feb-19

Brun's embedded Photo
Brun's embedded Photo
One of many I have seen in 61. Well worth getting a tag in my opinion.

26-Feb-19
Started hunting there in the 80's and not too many bears. Now, there are lots of them. Buy the tag.

26-Feb-19
There were bears just over the road in GMU 62 when I used to hunt there. Had to hold one off while butchering an elk by yelling at it and throwing logs and rocks at one year. It was only a mile or so over the divide road so I doubt he knew where the unit boundary was.....

26-Feb-19
Not to hijack your thread Paul...but if there's plenty of bears in 61/62, am I safe to say there's plenty in 71 too?

26-Feb-19
Is there much for color phase there?

26-Feb-19
Tons of bears in that whole area of the state. I've seen more color bears than I have black ones. Pick a large piece of oak brush and bust out the glass in any unit around there. You will find bears.

04-Mar-19
Lots of bears in 61. I had daily encounters including what sounded like two boars fighting it out.

04-Mar-19
My 2012 elk hunt I saw at least one bear a day.

05-Mar-19

05-Mar-19

05-Mar-19
Paul that is where I did my 1st bear population study with DOW i will see you at the Banquet. Lyle

• Sitka Gear