Darrell 26-Feb-19
Cheesehead Mike 27-Feb-19
Pyrannah 27-Feb-19
Cheesehead Mike 27-Feb-19
Steve H. 27-Feb-19
Helgermite 27-Feb-19
Single bevel 27-Feb-19
25-Feb-19
Which do you like best? I want to be able to see property boarders for private land. Mostly on phone but being able to use a computer is also nice.

25-Feb-19
I’m using both of them right now to find out for myself and to me they’re about the same. They both show private boundaries and trails but if you are going into an area that won’t have cell service you have to download the maps before going. I live in NM and run out of cell coverage all the time in the mountains so for me a gps with a chip that shows the private is my best bet. On x cost a lot more than Gaia . For the cost of one state with on x you can get all the states with Gaia .

25-Feb-19
Is OnX worth it for the hunting related layers or is it similar to Gaia?

25-Feb-19
Gaia Premium showed me all the private land plus landowner names in Arizona. Same for all western states that I checked. $30 per year. They have added hunting specific layers, but I'm not to smart with that type of tech.

25-Feb-19
I use them both on a phone that doesn't have the ability to use cellular service and they both work just fine. Wifi and internal memory is all you need. OnX does not write it's data to an sd card so if you're doing 30 gigs worth of downloads it's best on an iphone.

25-Feb-19
I wonder what ever happened with Jaq's Gaia issues? (Overall, I love my Gaia and use it all the time.)

25-Feb-19
I've used both, and prefer GAIA Premium. There are times I like to look at the aerial maps, and I can drag the map down flat using 3 fingers with GAIA, so I can see the ridges and contours (like Google Earth).

25-Feb-19
'Tick,

I think Jaq's issues were with OnX.

25-Feb-19
I have used both, I'm not sure if it's my familiarity with the OnX system from using it longer but I prefer it to Gaia. Definitely allowed me to change my packing habits on backpack trips. Phone always came along anyway as backup camera, now instead of carrying a separate GPS I carry an Anker battery pack instead. For the same weight I get 6-8 recharges for the phone that lasts me 10-14 days easy. Instead of an old dated GPS, I have 24/7 access to podcasts, music, a great camera, solitaire for downtime in the tent, books/magazine articles to read at night, etc. Much more functionality on the phone vs a GPS.

25-Feb-19
I have both. OnX is better. That said for $30 compared to $100 Gaia does all you want for navigating and public/ private ownership. OnX shines on the additional layers like the roadless and burns layers as well as private landowner information. For mountain hunting only I’d just have Gaia. But where I live locally I like where OnX tells me the landowner info.

25-Feb-19
Link, What info does onx give you that Gaia does not?

I get names, acres, boundaries, address from gaia

25-Feb-19
My Gaia gives roadless areas, burns, and landowner names. For the cost, I sure like it. The online map can be a little slow when I have a lot of layers going, but I suppose that's expected. I don't know what OnX does that Gaia doesn't, but for the cost, it'd have to be a lot to get me to switch.

25-Feb-19
Landowner info. Maybe Gaia does that as well, if so I havent bumped into it. Like I said I like the old burn info and roadless layer. I’ve used Gaia more but it’s been a few years, maybe my memory is foggy. ;) I must be missing something, I just checked and still don’t see a layer on Gaia with landowner info. Where’s it at?

25-Feb-19
Just to let folks know, Gaia gives landowner name (or registered name on the deed). Does OnX do more, like contact information (phone number, address?) Am I missing something?

25-Feb-19

25-Feb-19

25-Feb-19
I use private land (us) layer

When you click on someone’s name, you can then clinch the symbol that has an i in the circle to bring up more information

26-Feb-19

LINK's embedded Photo
This is what I see on Gaia
LINK's embedded Photo
This is what I see on Gaia
LINK's embedded Photo
Layer that’s on. I think it’s the right one.
LINK's embedded Photo
Layer that’s on. I think it’s the right one.
LINK's embedded Photo
Same area viewed in OnX
LINK's embedded Photo
Same area viewed in OnX
Pyrannah help me out.

26-Feb-19
Found it and the roadless and wildfire layers. :) I will say with those layers it makes Gaia hard to beat for the money. I think OnX is a bit more user friendly.

26-Feb-19

Pyrannah's embedded Photo
This is a completely random spot in Colorado.. this is what I can see through gaia

26-Feb-19
I’ve used both and much prefer GAIA. It does everything OnX does and is more user friendly in my opinion. Also a lot cheaper.

26-Feb-19
I haven't used Gaia but OnX Elite is great. I get way more value out of it than the $100 it costs (although I got it for free). When my current free subscription runs out I won't bat an eye at spending $100 (or $60 like today's Camofire deal) to renew.

26-Feb-19
I already have OnX gp chips. Is there a real advantage to paying for the phone app and then states? States are only good for a year right? Who knows where I will draw each year.........

What do you need the states chips for?

26-Feb-19
Not sure how to answer ur question but

When u buy gaia you get access online to their desktop app and can add all the points trails everything you want then when u open on your phone they are there as well

You can also transfer to and from google earth

$30 for everything that onx does and maybe more? Is the way to go imo

26-Feb-19
I've used the free version of Gaia for years now on my Iphone and love it. I had planned on buying OnX this year but from what I'm seeing, I'll just buy the Gaia subscription. Anyone use it and a Garmin smart watch? Wife got me the Fenix 5+ for Valentines day and I'm just beginning to tap into what it can do.

27-Feb-19
OnX gives you the phone app and the desktop app and the same thing, you can add waypoints, etc. on the desktop and when you open the phone it's there too.

I believe you can also transfer to and from Google Earth.

27-Feb-19
ahh thats good.. my buddy who is using onx does not know he can do that..

27-Feb-19
I've imported all my waypoints from previous hunts that were saved with a Garmin GPS into OnX. It's a really nice feature.

27-Feb-19
I'm on the cusp of updating phones and getting one of these two chips/apps (whatever they are called); I have an IPhone 4 right now, lol. Any advise on what to get or not to get for hardware in terms of, I don't know the correct terminology, computing power or storage space?

27-Feb-19
I've used both. It seems Gaia has more detail and options, but I like the simple interface navigation in OnX. I'm average for tech savvy stuff, and I found OnX to be much more intuitive to figure out on my own. I also like some of the sharing features on OnX for sharing location points with other users.

27-Feb-19
I have OnX and I realize the lines are only as good as the tax maps but it does leave something to be desired for accuracy.

• Sitka Gear