leftee 26-Feb-19
SD BuckBuster 26-Feb-19
Brotsky 26-Feb-19
SD BuckBuster 26-Feb-19
Brotsky 26-Feb-19
Brotsky 26-Feb-19
Michael 26-Feb-19
25-Feb-19
Hey everyone, a buddy and I are planning a DIY archery mule deer hunt this September. I’m currently looking around the Cheyenne river close to the badlands and north of the badlands where the Cheyenne river meets the Belle Fourche river. Any advise on these areas? What is the mulie population like in around these spots? Not asking for specifics but are there any other areas you would recommend checking out? We are kind of wanting to do a backpacking/tent style hunt so that is why we are looking at the bigger chunks of land. Thank you in advance for any advise!

26-Feb-19
One thing you should consider is getting a SD chip for your GPS. It can be very difficult to tell boundaries in that country and you don't want a ticket.

26-Feb-19
the sd web site has a download that will give you state, blm, school and private boundries.

26-Feb-19
The onX was spot on for us. Use the topo option to find the coulees. It saved us a ton of time and gas by skipping all the featureless flatland that the antelope love. I would suggest starting in smaller parcels first. Probably less people and still holds deer. All it takes is one.

26-Feb-19
The onX was spot on for us. Use the topo option to find the coulees. It saved us a ton of time and gas by skipping all the featureless flatland that the antelope love. I would suggest starting in smaller parcels first. Probably less people and still holds deer. All it takes is one.

26-Feb-19
I can't tell you much about those specific areas but I've hunted similar country.

I understand the desire for a "backpack" style hunt but wouldn't do that unless I knew a large area held a lot of deer. My experience on prairie muleys is that you are much better off to stay mobile rather than putting all your eggs in one basket and hiking way in somewhere and camping.

26-Feb-19
TDvorak: I would second the Ft. Pierre Motel. Nothing fancy but a good price. Question: I have hunted the National grasslands for numerous years for sharpies.... I can never remember seeing a mule deer... not even once. Was I just not in the right area of the grasslands??? Thanks.

26-Feb-19
Is SD going to a draw this year for NR tags, for deer?

26-Feb-19
There’s a very strong and very needed chance of that ground hunter. There is also likely to be a good sized price increase for the tags.

26-Feb-19
I just read that. I hate to have to deal with a draw, but I have no problem with the price increase, that is fair,,,,,, I have been hunting there off and on since 2002, always a great deal, for a solo DIY........

26-Feb-19
Thank you for all the responses! When will it be finalized if SD is going to a draw this year?

26-Feb-19

Michael's embedded Photo
Michael's embedded Photo
South Dakota has an app for your phone that shows all public hunting lands. With today’s technology it’s pretty easy too stay off private land.

I have never hunted the Grasslands south of Fort Pierre. However I have hunted central SD a bunch. There are decent pockets of Mulies all over. I would truck camp or stay at a hotel to stay mobile like said above.

26-Feb-19
Thank you! Just got the app. The the breaks along the Cheyenne river hold good populations of deer? I think we are hoping to hunt steep country as a posed to the flat grasslands.

26-Feb-19
To me this is not a back pack hunt. I had my truck set up, with a cot and bed roll, and my cooking stuff table and chair, and lanterns, and I was set anywhere. take time off and get a motel room, and have a nice shower.

Carried plenty of water for sponge bath and clean up for camp. the key out there on the public is to stay mobile...... better have great tires, when it rains

26-Feb-19
Rattlers.

26-Feb-19
I hunted that area last fall.. Shoot me a message..

26-Feb-19
Lots of great bucks in that area. Use your glass and stay mobile.

26-Feb-19
Brootsky,, stay mobile in a truck or on your feet? I would think they can get in a couple miles and set up camp not? spend the days on their feet out there,, it's big country..

26-Feb-19
You need to be aware of where you can camp and where you can't. Certain state lands are not open to camping, specifically walk-in areas. Federal lands would be. Frankly walking in somewhere and setting up a camp would be a waste of time and energy IMO. I would be truck mobile daily and running my glass. Sleep in the back of my truck or at set-up camp at a campground. Personally I would have 6-8 public pieces that I like and I would run a circuit daily glassing all of them. Road access is excellent, there's no need for a backpack style hunt here. If you want that style of hunt I would go up in the NW corner of the state and hunt the Custer NF or I would go to WY, MT, or CO.

26-Feb-19
"When will it be finalized if SD is going to a draw this year?"

Bass, it will be finalized in May.

26-Feb-19

Michael's embedded Photo
Michael's embedded Photo
Michael's embedded Photo
Michael's embedded Photo
I hunt exactly like Brotsky has said. Run and gun and look over multiple pieces of ground.

When I purchased my soft topper it was just for this reason. The area had walk in hunting. (No camping allowed). I would pull into an approach crawl in the back and go to sleep.

• Sitka Gear