Bigpizzaman 01-Mar-19
kota-man 01-Mar-19
kota-man 01-Mar-19
Carnage2011 01-Mar-19
Kurt 01-Mar-19
kscowboy 01-Mar-19
huntinelk 04-Mar-19
26-Feb-19
Anything new in the stone sheep world? Are the outfitters and areas that were regarded as good 5 years ago still good?

Anybody have any recent stone sheep hunts or information to share?

Thanks

26-Feb-19
Heard rumor Dustin Roe has Big Nine now.

26-Feb-19
Big nine sold but not to Dustin, but now getting 55k for those hunts!

26-Feb-19
55 G’s for a stone hunt!!!

So I’m getting a pretty good deal at 80 bucks :-)

26-Feb-19
Ambush your killing me STOP rubbing it in.

26-Feb-19
does the 55k include the trophy fee?

26-Feb-19
with Big nine you can pay 40K flat or this option

Stone Sheep Hunts Option 2 (Type 1b)

The fee for this hunt is $24,950.00 (USD) and this entitles the hunter to hunt Stone Sheep, Black Bear and Wolf. On this option if the hunter is successful in harvesting a ram there will be a $25,000.00 (USD) trophy fee.

26-Feb-19

Sandbrew's Link
I can highly recommend Stone Mountain Safaris. Spent time with them in 2015 and 2017 very experienced first class operation for sure. They don't take many bow hunters for their sheep hunts only 1 or 2 a year.

Sandbrew

26-Feb-19
They had a pretty good streak but I believe the last two years the bow hunters did not harvest a ram and had a hell of a time trying to find a legal one. Stone sheep are a tough deal these days and its is not like it was 5 years ago. Unless you are after a slam than I would chase other sheep.

26-Feb-19
I do have a friend who will be bow hunting with them this year

26-Feb-19
Any information on Creyke's archery only area from the last couple years?

26-Feb-19
Last year one bow hunter shot one and lost it and the hunt was over

26-Feb-19
The last I knew Dustin Roe had purchased Cassiar Stone Outfitters and has renamed it Backcountry BC and Beyond. That was a couple of years ago.

28-Feb-19
Does anybody know whom acquired Big Nine then??

28-Feb-19
It's a danged expensive hunt for NR's, making it kinda scary, especially for a true bow-hunter because the historical success rate for archery-only guys has been mediocre. A possible alternative is to hunt one of the Dall Sheep areas in YK or NT where a lot of the rams in certain particular areas tend to have gray patches on them. Any gray on a Dall's and I believe you can choose to call it a Fannin/Stone. Of course even those hunts are 30k now. But if you need a real Stone sheep as a bowhunter, I think you just have to pick the outfit with the best success, go hunt, and hope for good luck and straight arrows. As mentioned above, the guide Shale Deschipper with Stone Mountain Safaris had a good streak going for a while. My guess he's still good at it, and will be getting several more guys their archery rams in the future.

28-Feb-19
I was interested in booking with Barry and Amanda at Big 9 before they sold it, but I couldn't go until 2020. They told me that they sold to a guy named Russ MacLennan who was an outfitter in Colorado. They gave me his contact info and offered to book me for 2020 at their 2016 rates ($40k) to help get Russ up and going since they would be out after this year and Russ would be running the operation. I tried to email and call Russ multiple times and he never got back to me, so I declined the offer. It was tempting to save a few thousand, but no way was I ready to gamble that much money on someone with an unknown (to me) track record. From what I have heard and seen, Amanda and Barry had a great operation at Big 9 and they were top on my list, but I'm looking elsewhere now. I talked to Dustin Roe, but he is booked for the next few years. I'm currently still trying to decide where to go for 2020 but have narrowed it down to a few outfitters. I've heard good things about Stone Mountain Safaris. For the record, even though I'm a 90% bow guy, I'm not going to risk it on this hunt and am planning on taking the rifle.

28-Feb-19
As per the comment by Slam 38: "bowhunter shot one and lost it and the hunt was over"....that is pretty standard procedure with any outfit I've hunted with, however I've gone on way less guided hunts than many here, especially for sheep since I am a resident of BC and formerly of CO. About the only gray would be a grazing shot. Get that figured our ahead of time but I don't think many outfitters will deviate from that policy.

28-Feb-19
Hunted with Gary Powell founder of Big Nine decades ago. Combo hunt for stone, moose caribou. Ten days for $5K. Stone hunt was very near where the Chadwick Ram was taken. Back the second time for grizz and elk. Slightly less money for that trip. Prices are so out of hand these days. These were hunted with firearm.

28-Feb-19
I hunted this past year with Stone Mountain. Saw lots of rams, quite a few resident hunters and killed a double broomed 12.5 year old on Day 6 with a rifle.

01-Mar-19
Anyone heard any reports from Yukon Big Game Outfitters from the last couple years?

01-Mar-19
They've had some success, though I had a ROUGH hunt with them.

01-Mar-19

Bigpizzaman's embedded Photo
Bigpizzaman's embedded Photo
I arrowed one with Tuchodi a couple years ago. Saw 26 Rams 4 legal.

01-Mar-19
That's some STEEP country Tim! ;)

01-Mar-19
That's better...:)

01-Mar-19
Dustin has the Cassiar area now. I hunted with him for Mountain Goats last year and he had some big stone rams in camp when I was there. He runs a great outfit and I will be hunting with him again in the future.

01-Mar-19
Tim, that is a fine Stone ram! Congrats again. Kurt

01-Mar-19
Spent a lot of time with Dustin at DSC. They were 5 for 5 on rams this year. I have his contacts if anyone needs to reach him.

04-Mar-19
Has there been any changes in the dall/fannin/stone classification recently? Is it still if a dall has a few black hairs, other than its tail, it is a fannin and then a fannin is classified as a stone?

• Sitka Gear